Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with Motorsport Tech Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Issues with Motorsport Tech Spacers

Hi,

I know a number of people on here have been using the Motorsport Tech wheel spacers/adapters on their F Type.

I ordered my set last month and they just arrived today. but in a conversation with my mechanic he urged me not to put them on, as with these sorts of adapters the load of the vehicle is fully on the spacer/adapter as opposed to the hub of the car.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issue with their adapters or not or if there is something i need to be weary about.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by abhishriv
Hi,

I know a number of people on here have been using the Motorsport Tech wheel spacers/adapters on their F Type.

I ordered my set last month and they just arrived today. but in a conversation with my mechanic he urged me not to put them on, as with these sorts of adapters the load of the vehicle is fully on the spacer/adapter as opposed to the hub of the car.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issue with their adapters or not or if there is something i need to be weary about.

Thanks.

If you purchased the adapters that have the self-centering concentric depression on the back side of the adapter that slips over the shoulder on the hub, and the self-centering concentric ring on the face that inserts into the matching opening on a Jaguar brand wheel, your mechanic would be incorrect.

Using nothing more than some basic deductive reasoning - self centering concentric rings or not - simply tightening the nuts to spec on the 5 OEM lugs is going to dynamically transfer load to the hub.

Your mechanic at best is being overly conservative. At worst, doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Last edited by IronMike; 07-17-2017 at 07:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

What ironmike said is true. However when you change the offset of the wheel wether from the wheel desgn or spacers it does affect the handling of the vehicles as it was designed from the factory. When you move the wheel out the forces are leveraged into the suspension at a higher rate as well as other handling and alignment aspects. Many may not realize as few people would ever drive to a point of handling speed or knowledge that you would even know. But everything that alters the suspension will change handling etc. Any good mechanical engineer can attest to that.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

If this helps, while my race car is dead, I took the Jag to the track. Spacers and all... Nothing broke or fell off...

Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
But everything that alters the suspension will change handling etc. Any good mechanical engineer can attest to that.
+1. But a good driver will adapt to that change.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

After ~ 3months / 3000 miles I haven't had any issues. When I changed the lugs out the other day I had the tech retorque the nuts on the spacers - all were at spec.

Not sure if my driving habits are normal, I got 20k miles on the OEM p-zeroes...

Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

ill make another statement too. Its not so much Jaguar will give a owner crap about wheels that I have ever seen. But many extended warranty companies sure as hell will use that to deny claims for suspension issues and anything that they can tie into being affected by them. I have some owners that put the original wheels back on before they come in for aftermarket warranty coverage

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-19-2017)