F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jag f type coupe segment - 2 years from now

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default jag f type coupe segment - 2 years from now

Hello, how do you see the jag f type coupe segment playing out 2 years from now?

911 owners on this forum seem to prefer the f type hands down. It's not a matter of liking f type better for x and 911 better for y.

So do you think it may be possible that f types will be outselling 911's 2 years from now?

Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Not for a while, unfortunately. While I personally think the Jag is generally the better car (taking things like the GT3/GT3 RS etc off the table for now), the 911 has the better brand behind it and it's still the benchmark car in the segment. I definitely think the F Type is blazing the trail for the reinvention of Jaguar's brand, but it's going to be a while before the marketplace is wiling to take a different direction than the current default choices.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:08 PM

when I test drove a 911 I was like "there's no way I'm spending money for this car." then when I test drove an f-type I was like "how could I *not* buy this car?"

I gotta think that people spending $70k+ on a sportscar are going to test drive both cars - especially those who have heard the f type exhaust note.

I'll have to visit the 911 forum to see if any are choosing 911 over f type and why.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 PM

oh I don't necessarily disagree, but the reality is still that nothing says "look who's got the corner office" quite like a 911.... Others in the segment are faster, may be better looking, may sound better, but the car is still the one all others in the class are judged against. I think it will be that way for a while. It's still the benchmark car for the class. There are a fair few who've replaced their 911 with an F or added one to the stable, but 911 guys are very, very loyal to the car and brand. There's some justification for that, but for me the choice between my F and the 991 was pretty easy.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 PM

I think we'll see that f type drivers will be more modern and dynamic whereas 911 drivers will be more conservative and traditional

Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 AM

I think jag should offer sportier, modern, low profile wheel options for the f type. I don't think jag's wheel styles are quite up to par with where they should be for the f type.

The f type wheel options are too ornate in my opinion and should be more low profile to complement the sleek lines of the car. That's why I chose to buy custom aftermarket wheels for my f type.

I think the f type is a 911 killer but the wheels are a weak spot.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

swajames....interesting perspective given that you're a former 911 owner.
the reviews i've looked at (including some british ones...chris harris, top gear) generally suggest that the 911 is still the better performance car: they point to 911 advantages primarily in steering and secondarily in power/weight+torque/weight, and suspension. The F-type is cited with advantages in straight-line power and the carbon ceramic braking.

That's just on performance. The F-Type seems to be preferred when it comes to cabin size and finish, and, clearly, the peerless and seductive lines and the emotional ownership experience compared to the more sterile 911.

The question on segment is a good one! I would say:

1. I think the 911 is no longer the "corner office" car it used to be. It is popular with driving enthusiasts because its a fantastic car, but in corporate culture it's now more commonly owned by lawyers, doctors, bankers, and mid-level managers than by senior executives. In the executive suite, Porsche has simply become so successful (to its credit!) that its mythos has been diluted.
Here in the Bay Area at least, senior execs either own sedans or, if they are into cars, a stable of cars (usually including some flavor of 911 to check the box but typically focused around something italian or electric....the i8, 918, p1 and other electrics/hybrids are the current objects of lust here).

2. In terms of outselling the 911, the flattening momentum in F-Type sales numbers suggest this will not happen....not does it need to for Jaguar to be successful.

3. With respect to segment, I think Jaguar has an interesting play here because it can compete as a more elegant version of the 911, but importantly, can repeatedly hit the widening price segment vacated in the designer (vs performance) sports car market by Aston Martin and Maserati as they have moved upscale in price. Likewise, the upcoming XK replacement could fill a very lucrative niche for designed GT's behind the Bentley GT but above the BMW 6. This is a market approach that is also truer to Jaguar's heritage.

I hope Jaguar doesn't fall to the seduction of true mass-market luxury like MB/BMW, where lowest-common-denominator design becomes the rule.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The biggest problem I saw with the F type was it felt like the SL AMG cars of old where they are just heavy overpowered boulevard cruisers. I think 4000 lbs is too much for a car. Sure straight line it's blisteringly quick but that's not the point. In my mind if this was supposed to be the spiritual successor of the E type as nearly EVERYONE claims it to be, the car needs to be about a thousand pounds lighter. The F type just made a lovely sound and I felt special in terms of the experience but it didn't feel as fast as it sounded to me. Hopefully the RS version is going to tickle my fancy more and then I might change my mind about the brand.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm a 911 guy and am on my 3rd. The 911 is a car you can drive off the lot and head to the local race track and be very competitive. it's very reliable and handles great. I would never trade my 911 in for the F Type, so I simply added an F Type to the stable.

The F Type is a beautiful car and handles very nicely. Not as precisely as my 911, of course I have a very high end 911, but it drives very nicely. I don't think they are quite competitors, but close.
I also don't think you can beat a PDK transmission in Sport Plus. Although the Jag 8-speed is a lot closer than I would have thought.

Jaguar did an awesome job on the the F Type, it's beautiful and handles well and for a nice spirited drive down a country road it's perfect. On the track though I would take any of my previous 911s first.

For those of you that are saying, "I'm not going to the track", the F Type is probably perfect since that extra 10%-20% in performance is not needed and won't be missed anyway.

Walt

Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
The biggest problem I saw with the F type was it felt like the SL AMG cars of old where they are just heavy overpowered boulevard cruisers. I think 4000 lbs is too much for a car. Sure straight line it's blisteringly quick but that's not the point. In my mind if this was supposed to be the spiritual successor of the E type as nearly EVERYONE claims it to be, the car needs to be about a thousand pounds lighter. The F type just made a lovely sound and I felt special in terms of the experience but it didn't feel as fast as it sounded to me. Hopefully the RS version is going to tickle my fancy more and then I might change my mind about the brand.
I agree it needs to be lighter, but with due respect, I hope Jaguar never tries to compete with track friendly cars like Lotus or Gumpert. That would make performance enthusiasts happy, but would spell the death of the brand. Just compare the success of Jaguar with the relative failure of those two brands.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
I agree it needs to be lighter, but with due respect, I hope Jaguar never tries to compete with track friendly cars like Lotus or Gumpert. That would make performance enthusiasts happy, but would spell the death of the brand. Just compare the success of Jaguar with the relative failure of those two brands.
Not talking about track friendly cars. More talking about the original ethos of the E type. Lightweight, fast, chuckable. Not a bruiser. All this is of course my opinion. But yeah the RS looks like what I am hoping for.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 AM

yep. that's what I've gathered from the reviews. 911 has a slight advantage on the track. makes no difference to me b/c I don't plan to track my car - or even push it all that hard on the road.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:21 AM

There is a far bigger market for the F Type as it is than as a stripped down track car.

F Type sales success (and Jaguar sales as a whole) are contingent upon improvements in brand perception. While many love the cars and brand, too many potential customers still think Jaguars are unreliable. That alone will stop a fair few from dropping 100k or so on a F when the 911 etc is perceived as largely bulletproof.

That in a nutshell is the key to increased sales.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM

but based on the numbers so far, f type reliability is top notch.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

I was drawn to the Coupe because of the beautiful styling the car possesses,the roadster is a very nice looking car don't get me wrong but when they added the roof to the car,it became an instant classic in my book.

I still feel people buy cars based on styling and the emotion that styling brings,it has been this way since the beginning of time and will always be a huge factor when selecting a new car...I will freely admit I am buying this car because I love the way it looks and everything else it provides will be a plus.

That being said,I would never ever consider a Porsche 911 no matter how superior it may be because I simply do not like the look of the car nor do I care for the sounds it makes...just my opinion of course.

I think the F-Type coupe will still be in very strong demand 2-3 years from now based on the points I just made,and the fact the reliability is quite high certainly won't hurt.
I'm not sure how many will be produced yearly and haven't been able to research that information...does anyone here know of expected production numbers?