F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 03:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
Instead of doing the hard work required in figuring out what you need to be doing to cater to the market, Jaguar took the "easy way out" and [apparently] destroyed their brand.

A good business lesson for anybody paying attention.
What easy way did they take? I feel like they just couldn't break into the market in the US.

Old 03-24-2024, 04:26 PM
Received 180 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian McCann
What easy way did they take? I feel like they just couldn't break into the market in the US.
If it were me, I'd be doing some serious research into why there was not greater acceptance of the brand. If it turns out that most people are still skeptical about build quality, then focus on that until you change people's minds [by making a super high quality product].

Just the same, and like everything in life, there must be multiple reasons why this ship is sinking.

Old 03-24-2024, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by synthesis
If it were me, I'd be doing some serious research into why there was not greater acceptance of the brand. If it turns out that most people are still skeptical about build quality, then focus on that until you change people's minds [by making a super high quality product].

Just the same, and like everything in life, there must be multiple reasons why this ship is sinking.
Yeah I was just wondering if I missed some big decision that you were referring to as taking the easy way out. I feel like it has just been poor management for awhile. They could have offered a class leading warranty like Hyundai did to show people they stand behind their product. If my local dealership is anything to go on they are just too stupid and incompetent to change direction at this point.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah I was just wondering if I missed some big decision that you were referring to as taking the easy way out. I feel like it has just been poor management for awhile. They could have offered a class leading warranty like Hyundai did to show people they stand behind their product. If my local dealership is anything to go on they are just too stupid and incompetent to change direction at this point.
When it comes to sport performance auto Jaguar has a great warranty compared to the competition (see below from what I pulled from Google) and is the second highest reason I bought my F-Type, first was that it had AWD. I think Jaguar's high price and dealership access is what is holding them back. I'm glad I got my new 2024 F-Type 75 for $8K under MSRP, don't think it meets the full MSRP of $97K USD tbh.That being said it stuns me that people would pay ADM for a C8 Corvette that was way more money than a Jaguar F-Type.

Corvette - 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain
Porsche - 4 yr/50,000 mi basic, 4 yr/50,000 mi powertrain
Lexus - 4 yr/50,000 mi basic, 6 yr/70,000 mi powertrain

Jaguar - 5 yr/60,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain

Last edited by TangledThorns; 03-24-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by TangledThorns
When it comes to sport performance auto Jaguar has a great warranty compared to the competition (see below from what I pulled from Google) and is the second highest reason I bought my F-Type, first was that it had AWD. I think Jaguar's high price and dealership access is what is holding them back. I'm glad I got my new 2024 F-Type 75 for $8K under MSRP, don't think it meets the full MSRP of $97K USD tbh.That being said it stuns me that people would pay ADM for a C8 Corvette that was way more money than a Jaguar F-Type.

Corvette - 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain
Porsche - 4 yr/50,000 mi basic, 4 yr/50,000 mi powertrain
Lexus - 4 yr/50,000 mi basic, 6 yr/70,000 mi powertrain

Jaguar - 5 yr/60,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain
Yeah but you said yourself that the cars are overpriced. A good warranty doesn't count if you're paying $20k-$30k more than other comparable cars. You're basically just paying extra for an extended warranty that is built in. If anything this just worsens the public perception that people shouldn't own these outside of warranty and that scares people off.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:25 PM
Received 232 Likes on 120 Posts

In addition to the above you have to throw in many other variables which are way beyond most automobile manufactures control. Covid issues, supply-chain issues, consumer market preferences, interest, govt regulations and I could go on. Suffice to say that there are but a few manufacturers in the world who have been able to handle or mitigate these issues. Most auto manufacturers today are having a difficult time. Some from self inflicted wounds others by just trying to judge what the future will look like. Jaguar is no different. One of its problems is that it does not have deep pockets as some other brands and cannot react as quickly as others.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:35 PM
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Yeah but you said yourself that the cars are overpriced. A good warranty doesn't count if you're paying $20k-$30k more than other comparable cars. You're basically just paying extra for an extended warranty that is built in. If anything this just worsens the public perception that people shouldn't own these outside of warranty and that scares people off.
What comparables are you referring to for 20-30k less?

Old 03-24-2024, 06:17 PM
Received 186 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Jaguar Land Rover versus BMW North America

Hello everyone,
I wish to share my viewpoint on this subject, IE the demise of Jaguar.

Prior to having my F-Type R and being a member of this message board, I owned a BMW M5. I was a message board member at www.m5board.com.

It's a tremendous website for BMW ///M owners.
During my time visiting the M5 board message board, there would be a representative from BMW North America who would respond to various questions from the different message board members concerning their BMW M5 vehicles.
BMW North America would monitor the chatter on the M5 board message board, checking the various threads and when necessary, they would actually respond with answers helpful to the BMW owner.

This concept is nothing new. So I wonder why Jaguar Land Rover North America located in Mahwah New Jersey, never entered into the conversation on the F-Type message board, regarding the different questions posed by the message board members, concerning their cars. This thread known as, the end of Jaguar, you would think that they would absolutely jump in with some type of reply to minimize if not extinguish any worries and fears of the F-Type sports car owner, regarding the decline and possible end of Jaguar.

This is where BMW shines over at Jaguar.
I have a 2017 Jaguar F-Type R sports car and I absolutely love the car. Jaguar Land Rover North America ignoring this message board is only hurting their future in my humble opinion.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:24 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, Jaguar's lack of social media presence was... lacking. I don't even see Jaguar dealships making any effort too. Is this the same for Land Rover I wonder??

Old 03-24-2024, 06:33 PM

Am I the only one that feels that there are some dramatics in this thread? Nobody knows what is going to happen with Jaguar. Everything is speculation.

JLR as a company has too much responsibility before them to be dishonourable towards their customers, and dishonourable towards the heritage/history of the brand. The better financial depth of the LR side of the house should enable them the time to figure things out on the Jaguar side. I have some faith that this will happen myself, whatever that looks like.

I say this as someone who just purchased a 2024 R. Obviously I have some concerns, but sometimes a little faith is required.

It’s not like they are going to come on here and directly appease peoples’ concerns about the company. Even if they were to do that there would be no guarantees. It would just be lip service either way because they probably don’t have guarantees about the future to offer.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:44 PM

Picture the scenario if they were to trash Jaguar, abandon the customers, the brand etc in some really negative way…

The image of the remaining LR side would be screwed. Potential customers would be like, well they screwed over the Jaguar customer…What’s to say they won’t do it to me and my LR product?

It wouldn’t be a good look. I personally believe that JLR understands this reality, and the responsibility that accompanies Jaguar. As such, they need to be quite careful with whatever they end up doing with Jaguar.

I believe this is the practical reality of things.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:40 PM
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting FORBES article from January 2022............

FORBESINNOVATIONTRANSPORTATION

Electric Jaguar May Gamble On Risky Move Upmarket After Self-Imposed Limbo; Report

Neil Winton
Senior Contributor
Follow

Jan 16, 2022,07:28am EST

This article is more than 2 years old.Jaguar needs new designs to wow buyers, like this old E-Type (Photo by Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images ... [+]
GETTY IMAGES FOR JAGUARWhile Jaguar reimagines its future, there’s a danger potential customers may have forgotten about the storied but ailing sports car maker by the time new, all-electric models appear in 2025. And they will need to be much richer too.

CEO Thierry Bolloré has been at the helm of Tata Motors of India-owned Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) for more than a year now and in 2021 the company said it planned “reimagination of Jaguar as an all-electric luxury brand from 2025 to ‘realise its unique potential’”.

PROMOTED

To be fair it also said the same “reimagining” process would apply to the Land Rover SUV business, but this part of the JLR operation has been thriving over the years and will also be subject to a slower process of electrification than Jaguar, and its place in the marketplace looks secure.

Jaguar has been treading water at best, and its model range was badly dented when Bolloré cancelled the almost production ready flagship XJ electric sedan at a reported cost of around £1 billion ($1.4 billion), and the big J-Pace SUV also received the black hat treatment. That leaves Jaguar with the XE, XF sedans, E and F-Pace SUVs, I-Pace electric SUV and F-type two-seater sports car. The sedans will remain through this year and the ICE SUVs until 2024. The I-Pace will go on though. JLR has declared Jaguar to be all-electric from 2025, but hasn't provided details of vehicles, prices or sales targets.

French auto consultancy Inovev said Jaguar’s new target market after 2025 will be the exotic and high-priced world of Bentley and Rolls-Royce, selling far fewer vehicles than now but at much higher prices and profits, in theory.

“The idea would be to produce between 10,000 and 20,000 cars each year at prices above €150,000 ($170,000), while today the list prices range from €45,000 ($51,500) to €130,000 ($149,000) at the carmaker. It means that the electric I-Pace, which anticipates the future battery electric range from Jaguar, would be a far too affordable model compared to the future range, as its price does not exceed €80,000 ($91,500),” Inovev said in a report.
Jaguar volume was just over 100,000 in 2020. Sales dropped nearly 16% last year.

“This ambitious strategy could turn out to be risky because the hibernation of Jaguar until 2025 could turn away a large part of the brand’s customers towards the competition and experience shows that it is very difficult to recover lost customers after a few years. On the other hand, it is also difficult to win over customers in a very high-end market already in the hands of traditional, well-known and well-established brands. Finally, the years 2022-2024 are likely to be difficult for the sales network, which will see its orders drop drastically,” Inovev said.

This is a high-risk strategy but at least it has the advantage of moving Jaguar out of a rut which it seemed unable to extricate itself. For a start, although the new electric car range hasn’t been detailed, it is unlikely to cannabilize Land Rover SUVs, which happens now with the E and F-Pace. It also moves Jaguar away from what it found to be the impossible task of competing with the leading German premium makers BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche. Jaguar never had the volume to allow it to match them in choice, price and profits.
Or this Jaguar XK 120 Roadster (Photo by Frank Bienewald/LightRocket via Getty Images)
LIGHTROCKET VIA GETTY IMAGESInvestors have long pondered the future of JLR as whole. Would it be big enough to ever compete with the much bigger and more cost competitive opposition like BMW, Mercedes and VW’s Audi? Would Tata decide to sell off Jaguar or all of JLR?

The question of who would buy JLR or just the Jaguar bit stumble on the possibility of a candidate. BMW has an arrangement with JLR on electric engineering but given its ill-fated flirtation with Britain’s Rover in 1994, it’s unlikely to want a repeat. Groupe PSA was thought to be interested, but after its merger with Fiat-Chrysler to form Stellantis it has a huge task of rationalizing all the brands to have time for JLR or just Jaguar. Chinese companies eager to emulate Zhejiang Geely Holding of China’s successful takeover of Volvo of Sweden might want to step in, but Tata Motors is unlikely to sell to the Chinese.
Or this
GETTYCEO Bolloré has said it will look outside JLR for partners to develop the new range of Jaguar electric cars. Land Rover will get its first all-electric vehicle in 2024. JLR has abandoned its target of annual sales of 1 million and is now trying to be profitable selling between 400,000 and 450,000 vehicles a year. In 2020 sales fell 24% to 426,000, including about 324,000 Land Rovers.

Analysts say Jaguar is a little like Alfa Romeo, now part of Stellantis, which a lot of people find attractive and appealing, but ultimately go elsewhere. They don’t expect Tata to dispense with it in the short-term, not least because it’s not obvious who would want to buy it. Others even think JLR itself is too small to survive.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:53 PM
Cgo
Received 232 Likes on 109 Posts
Default My dealer said

My local Jaguar and Landrover dealership is now only Landrover. They still service them, but thats it. They said Jag is shutting down.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cgo
My local Jaguar and Landrover dealership is now only Landrover. They still service them, but thats it. They said Jag is shutting down.
For their dealership maybe. There is no information out there saying Jaguar is shutting down. That makes no sense at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by DMeister:
sov211 (03-25-2024), spegor (03-25-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 10:17 PM
The following 2 users liked this post by DMeister:
spegor (03-25-2024), Thunderjet Racing (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 07:15 AM
Received 388 Likes on 159 Posts

Someone raised the idea of perhaps having a Jaguar employee(s) monitor forums such as this in order to identify and perhaps clarify issues. I've owned several Jaguars over the years, the latest two both being F-Types, a 2018 and a 2022. I can report that some issues with the 2018 are still present in the 2022 even though I have reported them to my dealership. In one conversation with the service department I was informed that they do not look at nor put any faith in forum comments.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:23 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,387 Posts

FYI, Jaguar did have a customer rep on here for perhaps 5 years, but that was years ago. They were often helpful, but not always.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:44 AM
Received 180 Likes on 114 Posts

Whatever is going on at Jaguar, it seems clear that the brand has failed in its present form. The only problem with failing is dragging it out. We live in a world where there is going to be a great deal of failing and subsequent re-inventing. It's called progress.

If the Martians can be marginalized, allow technology and the markets decide where things are going. I can envision and MUCH MORE improved automobile industry where companies are quite interested in how their customers feel. The current situation can hardly be considered optimal as many people describe their interactions with the industry similar to have multiple root canal surgeries.

MAJOR sh*t is going to come down over the next several years [rooting out the massive corruption in the system], but this will be followed by an era of great prosperity. In the meantime, hang on to your assets and batten down the hatches.

Old 03-25-2024, 12:40 PM
Received 232 Likes on 120 Posts

Such prolific pontifications are certain to enlighten the hearts of many who are absolutely certain that their view of the future is certainly what will happen.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:51 PM
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Who says the Martians have been marginalized!!! I'm right here!!!

Quick Reply: Jaguar Done?