Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
Ian Callum created a masterpiece, it was simple perfection itself. Right now I would not buy an F-Type as the front end is too ugly and the driving fun has been tamed with AWD and the muted exhaust. The big mistakes since 2016 are ping up.

Entropy.
I agree that the original front-end design of the F-Type was the most attractive, and perfectly integrated. The line flows from the bottom of the point between the two gills right up through the headlamp lenses and along the fender. Just brilliant. The current wide single gill design negates the integrity of this flow.As is so often the case, the original is best.
The following is written with respect:
I have read virtually all your postings (and there are a lot of them because you seem to have an opinion about everything) and your every opinion is underlaid with an over-the-top denunciation of Jaguar, and threats such as writing that you will never buy another Jaguar (the aphorism about spite, the nose and the face comes to mind). Do you think you could be a little more realistic and less hystrionic? I say this because hidden in your postings you really do express some valuable ideas and automatically deleting your postings just might be like cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Last edited by sov211; 02-11-2019 at 12:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Chawumba (02-12-2019), TimG. (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211;2026161[left
I agree that the original front-end design of the F-Type was the most attractive, and perfectly integrated. The line flows from the bottom of the point between the two gills right up through the headlamp lenses and along the fender. Just brilliant. The current wide single gill design negates the integrity of this design. As is so often the case, the original is best.
The following is written with respect:
I have read virtually all your postings (and there are a lot of them because you seem to have an opinion about everything) and your every opinion is underlaid with an over-the-top denunciation of Jaguar, and threats such as writing that you will never buy another Jaguar (the aphorism about spite, the nose and the face comes to mind). Do you think you could be a little more realistic and less hystrionic? I say this because hidden in your postings you really do express some valuable ideas and automatically deleting your postings just might be like cutting off my nose to spite my face.
No, I won't quietly watch Jaguar destroy the villiage to save it. There is already no chance I'll buy a new, watered down F-Type, and thats a tremendous achievement because the original was so extraordinary.

That extends to the new Civic R competitor trim levels, the mounting ugly front end tweaks, the tacky tack-on SVR wing, the tamer performance spanning all trim levels via less WHP, AWD, more weight and price, and OMG the genius decision to mute the F-Type's exhaust note.

I hope Jag is listening, but personally I doubt the new faces there are introspective or logical enough to listen to customers. From what I see the new direction is emotionally commited to religious jihad against their own storied automotive traditions and corresponding customer base.

Thank you for the constructive critism, though. I hope you will join me, instead, before it is a moot point.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

[QUOTE=JIMLIGHTA;2026118]Ian Callum created a masterpiece, it was simple perfection itself./QUOTE]

Surely Ian Callum, as Design Director, woould have to sign off all changes, so he must like them? It's not as if the factory can just implement random changes on a whim.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=scm;2026189]
Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
Ian Callum created a masterpiece, it was simple perfection itself./QUOTE]

Surely Ian Callum, as Design Director, woould have to sign off all changes, so he must like them? It's not as if the factory can just implement random changes on a whim.
"I wish drawing cars all day was our job but, collectively, it is understanding the car, creating the atmosphere of the car… The hardest part is not coming up with the idea, but protecting it right through a whole process where hundreds of forces come at you from different directions, be it financial, legal, functional or manufacturing." - Ian Callum

Since his CX16 debuted, he's been losing. But its not just getting uglier, its getting slower, heavier and quieter.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

While I like the wasp-waisted look of the car without the sills, I prefer the body-colored sills when they are present.
Historically, manufacturers used gray or black lower panels and bumpers across the lowest models to save costs. Only the upper models received body-colored panels; hence I automatically react to black lower panels as lesser models.
Design trends are changing (look at all the black skirts, fins, and gills of the Z06) so I don't know how this will age. The F-Type is gorgeous in any guise, and I love the look of many posted here with the black sills... this is just my initial reaction.
However, since my F-Type is all-black, I don't really have to worry about such a decision

Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i agree, body colored sils are much nicer looking.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Mine came with the sports design pack which has very wide horizonal sills. Personally I thought that they made the car look fat and shorter and took away from the waist, but I must have some dutch in me as I couldnt bear to take off what was essentially part of a $5,000 option, even though they made the car harder to get in and out of. In the end I had them wrapped in black, but left 10mm of the edge body coloured to integrate it with the car better, and also because the rear diffuser looks like that anyway. I was happy with the result, but they are still a pain to clean.