F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

The only real issues I've ever had to deal with on the 3.0/5.0 involving coolant loss is the engine coolant pump and plastic pipe behind pump. The pump bearing fails and generally leaking out from the pulley bearing at mid rpm or load situations. If you looked for coolant on an early issue, most likely would not find being the coolant is blown away from the faulted area.

It's easy to find by using a pry bar or long screw driver to see if there's play in the pulley. If pump was diagnosed faulty, the pump+small plastic tube under charger+o-ring would be replaced. If the pump had large visual signs of a leak then sometimes even the belt would get replaced to avoid a chirp.

To diagnose any other leaks, use a pressure test. To refill coolant, use a vacuum bleed..the vacuum bleed will also double check to see if any clamps are leaking when pulled versus push.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
Luc Lapierre (01-04-2020), SinF (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

In my case it was definitely that little/thin plastic pipe over the top of and in front of the cross-over pipe, part of the expansion tank overflow system, that is/was the culprit.
It simply became very brittle and eventually fell apart, and then the cobbled up replacement pipe developed a small split due to a too small / too tight clamp cutting into the rubber.
The mechanic who detected the broken brittle OEM pipe commented that it was a terrible design, mainly because of the type of plastic used which was always going to become brittle after a few years due to repeated heat cycles.
The strange thing is I'm not aware of any other reports of this pipe failing, so why just my car????

Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
In my case it was definitely that little/thin plastic pipe over the top of and in front of the cross-over pipe, part of the expansion tank overflow system, that is/was the culprit.
It simply became very brittle and eventually fell apart, and then the cobbled up replacement pipe developed a small split due to a too small / too tight clamp cutting into the rubber.
The mechanic who detected the broken brittle OEM pipe commented that it was a terrible design, mainly because of the type of plastic used which was always going to become brittle after a few years due to repeated heat cycles.
The strange thing is I'm not aware of any other reports of this pipe failing, so why just my car????
The common issue with plastics getting brittle is age OR heat. Most often if an engine has overheated or ran of the verge, you will have an accelerated aging of the rubber and plastics in the engine bay.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

A few days now and about 200 km since my MacGyver fix of the coolant pipe and it's working perfectly, not a single drip/leak.
So a shade tree mechanic heads up for those who may be interested - if you have a small cut or split in a rubber (and maybe plastic?) coolant hose, slather the cut/split in RTV silicone sealant, wrap it in a piece of Velcro then tie a zip tie nice and tight over the top. Works a treat, and may possibly work for other fluid hoses as well (brake, oil etc).
Of course this should only ever be used as a temporary repair until the dud hose can be replaced, and make sure you don't get any of the silicone sealant inside the hose.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

A little update.
The shade tree mechanic fix didn't hold up, after a few more days it started to leak again.
Long story short, I cut the end of the hose off where the split was, just the last 5 or 6 mm of the hose so plenty of slack for the hose to still reach/fit OK, and whacked a steel hose clamp on it. Hey presto, after several days' driving no more leaks!
The replacement OEM hose rolled up this morning so I had a look at fitting it myself, but as I suspected a couple of the clips/fittings are a bit beyond my expertise. One is extremely difficult to access and another looks as though I would have to destroy the original clip to remove it, with no guarantee the new clip would then work.
So I've decided to stick with the non-OEM replacement hose for now and keep the new part in reserve if I ever need it.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Over flow lines from the reservoir that run to the front of the engine are being smothered by the heat from the engine and are turning them "brittle" like plastic or glass, i just had to replace mine on my 15 F Type, ( check them because if they snap it will leave you stranded) . Good luck.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Will all f type years suffer this same fate with the brittle lines or did JLR change the spec somewhere along the line? Also, my 2011 XF SC had the leaking water pump as did many others. Did JLR buy these by the trailer load and is using up their supply? What year does the water pump leaking issue resolve if at all? I have about 20 months left on my warranty with only 15.5k miles and am wondering what I'm in for post warranty. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

There was a TSB from 2015 for water pump issues which I have attached, it engines shows a range of VIN number of affected vehicles, both F Type and others with 3.0 and 5.0.

With regard to the plastic overflow pipe unless there has been a replacement part that is likely to be much more durable then I would look to sourcing replacement pipe of an entirely different material. As has been pointed out failure of cooling pipes leads to you being stranded unless you have access to coolant and can affect a temporary repair.

My previous Jaguar was a 1993 XJS 6.0 V12 the first cooling system hose to require replacement was the feed to heater at the rear of the engine. It occurred at twenty two years after manufacture with 120,000 miles covered. Also consider the engine bay of V12 Jaguars, especially in XJS are renowned for being extremely hot environments.

Put simply, my opinion is that any hose that requires replacement in under ten years / 100,000 miles was simply poor design / material specification and not fit for purpose.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00278NAS3.pdf (201.1 KB, 416 views)
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Will all f type years suffer this same fate with the brittle lines or did JLR change the spec somewhere along the line? Also, my 2011 XF SC had the leaking water pump as did many others. Did JLR buy these by the trailer load and is using up their supply? What year does the water pump leaking issue resolve if at all? I have about 20 months left on my warranty with only 15.5k miles and am wondering what I'm in for post warranty. Thanks.
I had to have many of my coolant lines replaced after replacing a leaking water pump and still experiencing coolant leaks.... happened roughly July last year. Good news is the parts aren't particularly expensive, and it was only a day of labor.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by addict
I had to have many of my coolant lines replaced after replacing a leaking water pump and still experiencing coolant leaks.... happened roughly July last year. Good news is the parts aren't particularly expensive, and it was only a day of labor.
Addict, could you add your car year, model, etc. to your signature line? Trying to get everyone to do that.

Carbuff2 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

I just recently replaced almost the entire cooling system on my 15 R. My water pump went out and I took that opportunity to replace everything from the thermostat to the hoses, orings, and lines. Jaguar did supersede a couple parts in the cooling system, including the crossover pipe and the pipe that runs under the charger. The overflow line gets really brittle over time with heat. Barely touched it and it exploded. That made me just change everything out.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrance39
The overflow line gets really brittle over time with heat. Barely touched it and it exploded.
Hmm, The P.O. and I ran the car with the engine cover off (since 4K miles, now 18K). I wonder if mine will last longer?

Now I'm afraid to touch it, though....

Old 03-13-2019, 05:18 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrance39
I just recently replaced almost the entire cooling system on my 15 R. My water pump went out and I took that opportunity to replace everything from the thermostat to the hoses, orings, and lines. Jaguar did supersede a couple parts in the cooling system, including the crossover pipe and the pipe that runs under the charger. The overflow line gets really brittle over time with heat. Barely touched it and it exploded. That made me just change everything out.
Did you do it yourself or have the dealership do it?

Old 03-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
Did you do it yourself or have the dealership do it?
I do all my own work, that's how I know it's done right lol.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 PM

Someone Posted a Temperature Test with and without the shroud (engine cover) and the difference was substantial, like about 40 degrees difference. I will be leaving mine in the garage.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 15 FType 281
Someone Posted a Temperature Test with and without the shroud (engine cover) and the difference was substantial, like about 40 degrees difference. I will be leaving mine in the garage.
Yes, a couple of us had used laser probes to measure the temperature difference. I’m not certain it was a full 40 degrees, but it was indeed significant. I had the intercooler cover polished so the top of the engine doesn’t look so butt ugly with the engine cover off.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I had the intercooler cover polished so the top of the engine doesn’t look so butt ugly with the engine cover off.
Have you ever posted a picture?

Old 03-14-2019, 09:19 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, a couple of us had used laser probes to measure the temperature difference. I’m not certain it was a full 40 degrees, but it was indeed significant. I had the intercooler cover polished so the top of the engine doesn’t look so butt ugly with the engine cover off.
Lance, you have to be careful with IR thermometers - some surfaces like shiny aluminum don't give reliable results. I have a fancy one at work where you can enter the specific material, so it can compensate for wildly different emissivities...

What is emissivity, and how is it related to infrared temperature measurements?

Emissivity is defined as the ratio of the energy radiated by an object at a given temperature to the energy emitted by a perfect radiator, or blackbody, at the same temperature. The emissivity of a blackbody is 1.0. All values of emissivity fall between 0.0 and 1.0. Most infrared thermometers have the ability to compensate for different emissivity values, for different materials. In general, the higher the emissivity of an object, the easier it is to obtain an accurate temperature measurement using infrared. Objects with very low emissivities (below 0.2) can be difficult applications. Some polished, shiny metallic surfaces, such as aluminum, are so reflective in the infrared that accurate temperature measurements are not always possible.
And yes, Lance's engine is shiny...

jaguny (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 15 FType 281
The Over flow lines from the reservoir that run to the front of the engine are being smothered by the heat from the engine and are turning them "brittle" like plastic or glass,
I assume you are talking about the line I highlighted on @Unhingd pic? I just looked at mine and it has a webbed 'cozy' insulating most of it.

PS: That intake looks good. It is not just polished...the casting's 'bumps' have been smoothed out. SWEET

Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM

I'm sure that would make a tremendous difference on the heat issue, i'll have to find some of that insulation wrapping, although once you close the hood it is so close to the engine it'll still be a concern. Thanks for the diagram Carbuff2, like the polished job, looks nice.

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced