Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lotus Exige/Evora vs F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Lotus Exige/Evora vs F-Type

Curious if anyone has test-driven the Exige or Evora, and how it compared to the F-Type.

Lotus is obviously stuggling as a British brand, but it has produced some really nice cars in the past.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:53 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I've driven the Evora and the Evora S, both manual. Personally I think the ride is the most comfortable of any in its class. Despite the wheel following every bump and crack in the road, it feels like you are just gliding over it all. Excellent handling. The extra power in the S is definitely needed, but it isn't a straight line fast car. It is made for a circuit. The manual gearbox is super smooth. Inside, the all leather interior is very nice looking with a cheapo aftermarket nav/radio. It does have some fit and finish issues, especially on the first 2 years MY10, MY11. Storage space is pretty close. Since the Evora is a 2+0 or 2+2 you get a bit more space behind the seats. Trunk is about the same size as the F-type vert.

I really wanted to get an Evora but held off due to Lotus company trouble at the time. But they are still holding in there. A friend has one and brings it out on our group drives. He keeps right on my *** in the corners (me in the TT-RS) but I pull away hard during any straight. I think the F-type would be pretty similar.

The F-type wins on overall technology and power. Design is a toss IMO. Both a eye catching designs. The rarity of the Lotus and exotic looks will probably still draw attention in years to come while the F-type will probably fade a bit.

If you have a dealer near you go take an Evora out for a spin. You can get some great deals on them, 10-15k off sticker.

I have no experience with the Exige but that is a much more track focused car. Out are the luxuries and comfort.

The following 2 users liked this post by LynxFX:
mparsons (06-11-2014), SinF (07-10-2018)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 to LynxFX's post. I have had the same experience with the Lotus. I have not completely scratched it off my list but it definitely needs a power boost badly. it does have very good handling but just not got the grunt I crave.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Curious if anyone has test-driven the Exige or Evora, and how it compared to the F-Type.
I don't think you can buy a new Exige in the US anymore because they couldn't get an extension to their airbag exemption. Only the Evora is currently on sale in the US

Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I think the ride is the most comfortable of any in its class. Despite the wheel following every bump and crack in the road, it feels like you are just gliding over it all. Excellent handling.
I work at a dealership in Los Angeles that carries both Jaguar and Lotus and agree completely with LynxFX. The ride is shockingly good. The Evora is first Lotus that can me daily driven (IMO).

In my experience, the person who buys the Evora usually does so for one of three reasons: exclusivity, occasional track use, availability of a manual transmission.

In most other aspects, the F-Type ties or wins handily. However, they're both great cars. If possible, I'd reccommend finding somewhere you can drive both back to back and see which suits you best.

The following 2 users liked this post by mparsons:
pabanker (06-12-2014), SinF (07-10-2018)
Old 06-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

The replies seem pretty consistent. I've heard the Lotus handles very precisely for advanced drivers, and that the suspension is hand-tuned to excellence. This may mean that the car will need to be serviced carefully since I suspect this design makes the ride quite sensitive to the slightest bit of detuning.

I've already committed to an F-Type but seen Evoras around here so was curious. The automatic transmission on the Evora is a generation behind, so I see why buyers would go for the manual.

I wouldn't have considered a Lotus given their corporate situation, but I'm hoping that Lotus finds a way to turn around its fortunes. It seems unlikely under present ownership. The strategy of producing track friendly but commuter unfriendly vehicles wins loyalty from online car enthusiasts but doesn't seem viable as a business strategy.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also the fit and finish of the Lotus is questionable...well let's say feels a bit kit car like especially when you are parting with 90+ hard earned dollars!

Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Old thread I know, but didn't want to start a new one just for this -- really shows how the comment of four years ago really nailed it ---