Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug nut lock Key Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 08:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Lug nut lock Key Help!!!

Hi all,

So I did the dumbest thing the other day. I was installing my lowering springs on my f type and left the Lug nut lock key on the front lock and took the car for a test drive. Needless to say the key flew off at some point and now I can't get my wheels off.

This morning I went to the dealership to see if they could help. They said it isn't an f type lug nut lock. Referred me to a reputable shop down the street that specializes in tires and wheels. They were going to try and get a socket around it lock and get them off but there is not enough clearance to get the socket size in that will fit the lock. We googled and searched and came up with the type of locks and key. It looks as though they are Jaguar but maybe an older style or for another model.

I saw a description that said they were for the XF.

My question is do any of you have these or know any info on these locks and keys? Any help would be great. I found part numbers for the lock set I searched on google and checked with the dealer. They said the part number does come up, but it is a special order and cost $225. If it is the wrong key they wont return and refund unfortunately, so I'm hoping maybe some of the forum members could help me out on figuring out this dilemma.

Here are the best pics I can get of the locks. Any other ideas on how to get these off?

Old 10-04-2021, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

You might as well order the key. Unless you want to blow torch all four wheels. That would be WAY more expensive.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 PM

Problem is I found a few different part numbers for those keys so it would be a shot in the dark. Jaguars has like 26 different keys for the f type, and many more for other models as well. At $200 a pop I might as well buy new wheels and figure out a way to pull these off.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:21 PM
Received 268 Likes on 173 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 2017 F. The selling dealer had taken off the four special lugnuts, but lost the key. Fortunately I had a Mulroney copy of the window sticker/ buildsheet which indicated that these antitheft lugnuts were included with the car. I had the packaging for the lugnuts and contacted the company that made them. I had to provide a code from the packaging, which I was then told was incorrect. Having that Mulroney sticker which showed the VIN and my car registration proved to them that I was the legitimate owner. The "key" was $14

The following users liked this post:
ArnettsJag13 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 09:37 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Pound a deep lug socket on the locking lugnut (usually it's the size socket that is used on a regular lugnut, I think the F-Type is a 19mm, and then use an impact wrench to take to take the lugnut off.

Locking lugnuts are a joke as a security measure, well I suppose they might slow a thief down for 5-10 seconds.

ArnettsJag13 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:14 AM

Valerie, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I’m the 3rd owner of this F type and it seems one of the previous owners must have switched out the locks. My original plan was to have JLR run the vin to get the correct key but to my surprise and theirs the original key wasn’t the correct one. Very disappointing.

Svr 575 have you ever tried the slam the socket on the nut? I took it to a reputable shop that attempted to do it but they said that there wasn’t enough clearance to get a socket around the lock. I was a little surprised. I may try another shop or worst case attempt it on my own, as I am fairly handy myself.

My other thought was to weld a nut to the top of the lock and break it loose that way…

Old 10-05-2021, 10:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Been down this path before - apparently the same way as well! So, I tried to order another key based on VIN, nope, they are installed after production by dealer. If you have a key code and a proof of ownership, maybe, but not one I was ever able to find or locate the letter code of. Tried to eyeball by shape, didn't work out well either. Ended up borrowing a lug nut remover set (OTC brand maybe?) that had about 4 different sized lug removers in it (thin walled to slip over, not the ones with biting teeth as they won't fit around the lug and into the wheel) - 2 mins per wheel later and done. No power tool or gun necessary, just a firm tap on with a slightly larger sized remover, and a slow hand back out.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ArnettsJag13
Valerie, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I’m the 3rd owner of this F type and it seems one of the previous owners must have switched out the locks. My original plan was to have JLR run the vin to get the correct key but to my surprise and theirs the original key wasn’t the correct one. Very disappointing.

Svr 575 have you ever tried the slam the socket on the nut? I took it to a reputable shop that attempted to do it but they said that there wasn’t enough clearance to get a socket around the lock. I was a little surprised. I may try another shop or worst case attempt it on my own, as I am fairly handy myself.

My other thought was to weld a nut to the top of the lock and break it loose that way…
I did it just as recently as this May, on my way home from work in my CT6 I hit a pothole hard while getting on the expressway; I immediately brought up the TMPS on the dash and sure as hell my right front tire was losing air. I managed to limp the car off the expressway and much to my dismay the key for the locking lug nut was missing, (last tire rotation by Discount Tire) anyhow the car had to be put on the hook and dropped at my office, the next day I brought sockets, a three pound hammer, and my Milwaukee cordless impact, I removed all the locking lug nuts and threw them out. You need to use a thinwall socket and not an impact socket.

Brian A. (10-07-2021)