F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Just wondering...

Has anyone made progress in getting JLR or their customer service team to take this seriously or deliver a meaningfully engineered fix yet?

Seems like they left the dealers to hide the problem and chucked some money at a few people for the problem to go away.

What's your experience?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Hi

Did you mean 770W? I wasn't aware there is a 720W. Also, at the end of your post, you referred to B&W - which brand is that? I had a B & O (Bang & Olufsen) system in my RS5 and while it was good, I wouldn't say it was superior to the 770W in my R.

Couldn't give you a suggestion specifically for satellite radio although I would have thought the lossy digital format of that audio would be a bigger issue for your listening pleasure than the capabilities of your hardware.

If you are serious about your music experience, start by getting decent format music on CD or DVD. On DVDS, if you have music optimized for DTS then use the Dolby setting. Overall, I usually play all formats in Dolby setting, not Meridian setting, for the best all round quality. Forget Stereo mode.

As stated earlier, the factory settings come with treble and bass boosted. I've dialed back bass to just one step above middle, treble another step above that. I also have adjusted fade back toward the rear speakers slightly, and balance slightly to the drivers side.

Have fun.

Also, there is an Introductions thread for new members in the General Forum.

Welcome, by the way, and congratulations on your awesome new car.

Thank for the on adjusting the fade back toward the rear speakers. My base meridian system sounds much much better and the bass sounds much crisper than when centered.

The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkong79
Thank for the on adjusting the fade back toward the rear speakers. My base meridian system sounds much much better and the bass sounds much crisper than when centered.
Glad it helped! Now get out there with your favorite tunes and enjoy that beautiful ride of yours!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone replaced the Meridian system and the navigation unit?

Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

so, i have the smaller meridian system 330? and it is really bad. Although by adjusting the fader to the rear helps a tiny bit....it's still nuts that Jag would put such a poor system in this car. I am leasing this car, but in my xkr i had upgraded the audio, not an easy task in such a small cockpit. Is there any small upgrade i could do to this system to let me get some enjoyment out of it? Someone on this forum suggested the problem is in the mid range. I agree, but think the problem is everywhere...would a small additional amp help? or would changing, or adding some speakers make a difference?

Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I have the same system, and I think it is very good.

Your problem may well be your source. I generally only stream my iTunes music via Bluetooth, and the sound quality is as good as any car system I've owned in a dozen or so high-end cars.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Your problem may well be your source. I generally only stream my iTunes music via Bluetooth, and the sound quality is as good as any car system I've owned in a dozen or so high-end cars.

I agree. I'm very happy with the 770 and it just took a little tweaking of settings and getting the right music source to get it set up right.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Is there an easy way to tell which system you have? Mine was sold to me used and billed as the upgraded 770w system but it doesn't have DAB. Don't know if that's an extra option or an Australian variation but would have thought if you get the upgrade you should get the whole box and dice.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Is there an easy way to tell which system you have? Mine was sold to me used and billed as the upgraded 770w system but it doesn't have DAB. Don't know if that's an extra option or an Australian variation but would have thought if you get the upgrade you should get the whole box and dice.
Going by the simplistic diagram in the UK brochure, the 770w system should have 2 speakers smack in the middle of the front (somewhere) - the other systems don't. 180w has 3 in each door only, 380w has 3 in each door plus four in the rear, 770w 3 in each door, 4 in the rear and 2 in the front center. The 770 also has 7.1 surround, which may show up as an option on the display somewhere...

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 04:18 PM

Well I see you are the 'MAN' on the forum...and appreciate your dedication to the car.... but with all due respect....even my crappiest after market system in my very very noisy mustangs...sounds 1000 times better then this piece of junk. I don't have any problems with my particular system either. I did have the dealer check it out. But honestly..it's a 'sub' standard system for 2015, unworthy of a jaguar.
So back to my question, does anyone know how one could 'improve' the system, without removing it?

Old 02-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

What is the source of the music you listen to?

Old 02-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

What is the source of the music you listen to?
Foosh - the problems we are experiencing are totally unrelated to the music source. You've mentioned many times that your car is fine and that is really good the hear. Just to reiterate the issue demonstrates itself via all sources and at specific levels of resonance unrelated to high bass.

What we are trying to do here is diagnose the issue based on the many of us who have the design/engineering fault. As we know, JLR have left us to fend for ourselves on this problem either by ignoring us, asking dealers to make the problem go away by compromising the system further with tape/foam and other pointed solutions for individual customers.

I am extremely keen to hear the latest updates from others to see if there is any greater understanding or movement by Jaguar to finally start addressing the faults after 16 months of knowing they have this issue.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Mawheele,

You don't know what problems he's experiencing or whether it bears any relationship to your (and others) accounts of technical problems. He hasn't listed symptoms other than to say "his crappiest aftermarket systems are 1000 times better." That statement doesn't have a lot of credibility, but it's good hyperbole. There's no way to diagnose anything from that description.

And your statement that source doesn't matter is just incorrect. The settings also make a huge difference, as evidenced by many reports here. As for source, satellite radio, for example, doesn't sound nearly as good as Bluetooth streaming via iTunes.

And yes, we know how keen you are to hear credible reports aimed at correcting the technical issues reported from credible sources. I have supported you on that, but this isn't one of those credible sources yet. That's why I started with a simple question, and I await the answer.

However, in the meantime, I see probably more people "satisfied" with the system than not, and after all, no car stereo is ever going to be as good as a quality home system. Unfortunately, too many seem to have that expectation.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
Foosh - the problems we are experiencing are totally unrelated to the music source.
Are these problems all the *same* problem? Johney5 is of the opinion that the system is just 'poor' - he didn't say it was vibration or resonance related (in his case).

In any event - these days electronics are good enough that I think you can expect that at the electronic level, most systems, even not particularly expensive ones, can produce a clean signal. The sound itself is of course produced by the speakers - electro mechanical components - it has been my experience that even so called 'high end' factory systems use really poor speakers (just plain low end cheap!) - and even a modest upgrade with aftermarket good quality speakers can make an immense difference.

That being the case - you can't get good sound out of bad speakers no matter what you do - if the speakers used are standard sizes, it may not be that difficult to change them out for something better.

(Also, what one person thinks sounds 'good' may be 'terrible' for someone else - its subjective).

Old 02-13-2015, 06:27 PM

Ok.... I'm back. to clarify: I do have some vibrations in the doors at some cadences...that's not my issue (although that is annoying.)
My issue is what is simply what I said....it's a poor system, even if it's working well. Foosh, again i'm happy you are happy with it...but I don't even think it's a subjective conversation, this is just a poor system, lacking in range. As far as source files go....i have tried HD radio, Sirius, bluetooth from my iPod 6. Actually the advantage of using iTunes is that with the equalizer of iTunes you can slightly improve the sound...but as was stated by someone else on this forum, you should not have to do this. Again, my question is...is there a way of improving this junk with some new door speakers? or would a separate amp help? I had changed the door speakers in my 07 XKR which helped that system out considerably. but just the speakers in the doors cost me 1000 bucks. I hate dumping that into a leased car.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply. As for your question, the only answer I can give you is that I have not read or heard a single account from anyone who has done any aftermarket alterations to the F-Type audio system. And as you implied earlier, I've followed this place very closely for awhile.

I am fortunate that my car doesn't have any of the vibration, rattle, or other technical issues reported by some. I have acknowledged that Jaguar may have a quality control issue given a number of similar reports of the above, but I haven't seen any credible evidence of a "design" problem.

All I know, is that when I listen to the "Hell Freezes Over" version of "Hotel California," Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody," Cohan's "Simple Gifts from Appalachian Spring," or "Fanfare for the Common Man," I'm pretty blown away with how good it sounds. I haven't listed to Puff Daddy, JayZ, or the like.

Perhaps someone has and will respond to your alteration question.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Foosh, with all due respect, I think it might be fair to state that the F-Type owners who are experiencing problems with their audio systems, don't particularly care to read or want to hear that yours is fine.

The fact that you routinely report that you don't have audio problems could be viewed as incendiary to those who do have problems, and are here to read or participate in these threads looking for input and possible solutions.

That said, I love your taste in music. I have some of the same copied onto the Jaguar branded USB thumb drive, along with nearly 2200 more of my favorite tunes. In addition to classic rock, I also enjoy my reggae collection, and I too hear the vibrations buzzing from the drivers door panel, particularly noticeable in some UB40, Untouchables, and Bob Marley tunes.

Regarding mshedden's comments about bad speakers, I'm rather certain this problem mawheele and many others have complained of is not related to the audio system itself, nor the choice of speakers, but instead is caused by interior components near or adjacent to the speakers that have not been well insulated or isolated from other components, and as a result are resonating against each other.

Last edited by IronMike; 02-13-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Foosh, with all due respect, I think it might be fair to state that the F-Type owners who are experiencing problems with their audio systems, don't particularly care to read or want to hear that yours is fine.

The fact that you routinely report that you don't have audio problems could be viewed as incendiary to those who do have problems, and are here to read or participate in these threads looking for input and possible solutions.

That said, I love your taste in music. I have some of the same copied onto the Jaguar branded USB thumb drive, along with nearly 2200 more of my favorite tunes. In addition to classic rock, I also enjoy my reggae collection, and I too hear the vibrations buzzing from the drivers door panel, particularly noticeable in some UB40, Untouchables, and Bob Marley tunes.

Regarding mshedden's comments about bad speakers, I'm rather certain this problem mawheele and many others have complained of is not related to the audio system itself, nor the choice of speakers, but instead is caused by interior components near or adjacent to the speakers that have not been well insulated or isolated from other components, and as a result are resonating against each other.
Mike, I understand that, and I agree with you, but I don't think I've done anything contrary. The truth is also important, whether some want to hear it or not, and there are those here who have suggested that they are all bad. That is not true.

I am NOT a Jaguar cheerleader, and I have a long history of being completely brand agnostic. This is my first JLR product. However, for me, balance is important, and I've been trying to provide that balance. I have acknowledged that there may be a quality control issue, but it doesn't appear that it extends to all or even the majority of cars.

With the latest poster today, he didn't report any symptoms today, just said the system sucked. Later, he got a little more specific.

I've posted often in the past to Mawheele and others to document their issues and take them to JLR aggressively. I hope they get to the bottom of what a number of people are so unhappy about.

On the other hand, I've been on car forums for numerous makes over the years, and one of the most common threads about every single make and model relates to the unhappiness of some with the audio system. It's universal!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Sorry some are having issues.. mine is parked for the winter, but anyway with the 770 system I was able to switch around between DTS and other settings to find the best sound for me. With a good source I have to say mine is really good and this is when I compare it to other top end cars. No buzzing.
The one issue I have had is the rear speakers do not always come in when I listen to stereo and its seems that it depends on the recording that the station uses. I don't listen to Sirrius due to its compressed signal.
CD's are quite good as well and a friend gave me a 'stick' with his best tunes and it was a knock out.
I seem to remember someone posting on, perhaps the XJ forum, a while back that his system had some faults that the dealer corrected .. I will try to find reference to it as it might help.
Lawrence.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Just did a search on the forum but I can't find the post concerning sound system repair. It had something to do with a connector or some part of the system that was faulty and not sending signal to the speakers correctly.
Lawrence.

Quick Reply: Meridian Audio System