F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 V6 MT Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 V6 MT Cold Start

I've had my 2019 V6 MT for almost a week now and I've put about 150 miles on it. I've noticed on cold starts it seems to hang around 2000rpms for a few seconds and bounce, it doesn't sound good. Is this normal? Is this just because the engine is brand new?

My Ducati does the same thing on startup, but when it hangs around 2000rpm for a few seconds it doesnt bounce.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

There are two things to consider. First, when you first power car on, all dials go to max then back down. These are not actual reading, but more of a cluster self-test. Second, when you first start engine it briefly keeps revs up to warm up catalytic converters. Duration depends on outside temperature, but usually it is 10 to 30 seconds. If you happen to engage gear during that warm up time (there are some impatient people out there), it would go to normal RPMs according to accelerator pedal position.

I suggest you do a controlled test and a) power on the car without starting it b) start the car and let it warm up in neutral c) put it into gear and go. If you don't see this abnormal bounce, then it is likely due to going through startup quickly. If you do see bounce, then it is something else.

Unsteady idle can point to issue (usually vacuum leaks) but the car is too new to assume this is the case.

Also, congrats on your purchase. I suggest doing first oil change early and keep in mind that your manual gearbox uses unique to Jaguar FFL-3 fluid.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
There are two things to consider. First, when you first power car on, all dials go to max then back down. These are not actual reading, but more of a cluster self-test. Second, when you first start engine it briefly keeps revs up to warm up catalytic converters. Duration depends on outside temperature, but usually it is 10 to 30 seconds. If you happen to engage gear during that warm up time (there are some impatient people out there), it would go to normal RPMs according to accelerator pedal position.

I suggest you do a controlled test and a) power on the car without starting it b) start the car and let it warm up in neutral c) put it into gear and go. If you don't see this abnormal bounce, then it is likely due to going through startup quickly. If you do see bounce, then it is something else.

Unsteady idle can point to issue (usually vacuum leaks) but the car is too new to assume this is the case.

Also, congrats on your purchase. I suggest doing first oil change early and keep in mind that your manual gearbox uses unique to Jaguar FFL-3 fluid.

I haven't engaged gear while experiencing the bouncy idle. I just tried to recreate it, but I think the car is warm from driving. I'll go through your steps once the car cools off.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM

Just took the car out to dinner and it did the rough idle leaving the house and leaving the restaurant. It's at 1500rpm not 2000.