XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

The new 2019 Jaguar XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Banned
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts
Default The new 2019 Jaguar XJ

According to the August 2015 issue of Automobile Magazine the next XJ, internally known as project X360, is due to enter production in late 2018 as a 2019 model (as is standard practice).

According to the "Future Cars" article, the next Jaguar XJ will be less swoopy, returning to its roots as a classic three-box sedan, although the photo accompanying the article doesn't support this contention.

Seems to me this is all a bit speculative, except perhaps the introduction date.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 06-27-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:28 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you have a link to the pics?

Guy

Old 06-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Jag has always been very good a keeping tight-lipped about new designs coming down the pipeline. No doubt we'll know very little until they're ready to tease or start testing in the open where spies start capturing mules or highly camouflaged units.

At this point, I'm just looking forward to seeing the X351 facelift in person.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I aw the facelift model yesterday for the first time, very nice but really just different head and tail lights and a new front bumper, that is the visual difference. Mind you there is a lot of improvements under the skin such as the infotainment system and more "toys" as well.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
Do you have a link to the pics?

Guy
Sorry, being a hard copy magazine article, I don't.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:05 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by roviw
I aw the facelift model yesterday for the first time, very nice but really just different head and tail lights and a new front bumper, that is the visual difference. Mind you there is a lot of improvements under the skin such as the infotainment system and more "toys" as well.
Agreed. They definitely focused the updates on all of the current X351's shortcomings, as were desperately needed, and left the beautiful shape be with some very minor cosmetic updates aligned to current lighting technology. I guess we'll see them in N.A. in the fall.

Apologies for steering this thread away from the OP's topic of "X360".

Old 06-28-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it the same pics that we had in that tread some time ago?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-x360-135664/

Guy

Old 06-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Banned

Is it the same pics that we had in that tread some time ago?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-x360-135664/

Guy
No; definitely different, and less radical.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Is it the same pics that we had in that thread some time ago? ... Guy
Guy,

No. Here's the Automobile Magazine article with their take on the next (2019?) XJ :

I prefer the other artist's concept from the other thread:

We'll just have to wait and see!

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-28-2015 at 07:47 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by Stuart S:
01Silverstone (08-18-2015), jaguarxjl (01-31-2016), Jayt2 (06-28-2015), johndahlheimer (06-29-2015), Napoleon Solo (06-29-2015), prosthotoothist (07-02-2015), Quebecjag (07-02-2015), slojotaa (07-04-2015), swajames (06-29-2015) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

A member on another forum I post on seems to be working on the the X360 or at least has had early access to the development effort. His take on the new car is that it is a stunning design and that it will bring a significant upgrade over our X351s in terms of features.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Guy,

No. Here's the Automobile Magazine article with their take on the next (2019?) XJ :

I prefer the other artist's concept from the other thread:

We'll just have to wait and see!

Stuart
Stuart-

The artist concept you prefer is visually appealing, but totally impracticable.

Start with those over-sized wheels with tires having all of one inch of radial cross-section, which would guarantee one of the roughest riding cars in the world, and bent wheel rims from crossing the average tar strip.

The bunker slit side windows would guarantee little old ladies couldn't see traffic approaching from the sides, thus ensuring needless accidents.

Let's also hope it is equipped with at least a three-quarter ton air-conditioner, because otherwise the heat from the enormous front and rear windows would bake anyone inside alive in short order, not to mention heavily restrict vision with the slightest bit of dirt, rain, tree sap, bird droppings, etc.

Common, let's get real.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Stuart-

The artist concept you prefer is visually appealing, but totally impracticable.

Start with those over-sized wheels with tires having all of one inch of radial cross-section, which would guarantee one of the roughest riding cars in the world, and bent wheel rims from crossing the average tar strip.

The bunker slit side windows would guarantee little old ladies couldn't see traffic approaching from the sides, thus ensuring needless accidents.

Let's also hope it is equipped with at least a three-quarter ton air-conditioner, because otherwise the heat from the enormous front and rear windows would bake anyone inside alive in short order, not to mention heavily restrict vision with the slightest bit of dirt, rain, tree sap, bird droppings, etc.

Common, let's get real.
John,

I will address your concerns in reverse order.

1. Common, let's get real. (You meant to say "come on")
As I will explain below, your concept of reality is ancient history. Reality is what's here now and coming soon.

2. Let's also hope it is equipped with at least a three-quarter ton air-conditioner...
Your concern about being baked alive is unwarranted. Heat reflecting auto glass is already here, and is required in all 2014MY vehicles sold in California. See: (1) California mandates use of IR reflective auto glass | Glass Magazine and (2) ClimaCoat | Saint-Gobain Sekurit and (3) IR reflective glass a ?here-and-now? solution - SAE International

3. The bunker slit side windows would guarantee little old ladies couldn't see traffic approaching from the sides ...

The old school three mirror setup - rear view and L&R side view - is so yesterday. In the near future, mirrors will be replaced by cameras that are integrated with automatic front, side, and rear collision avoidance systems. See: 6 reasons why I can't wait for cameras to replace rearview mirrors - CNET

4. ... those over-sized wheels ...would guarantee one of the roughest riding cars in the world ...
GM developed magnetic ride control (and licensed it to Ferrari and others), but Jaguar is secretly taking that technology one step further to develop the ultimate smooth ride - the first maglev (magnetic levitation) automobile. Here's a picture of their working prototype, disguised as an XK120:

So, as I explained, your conclusion that "The artist concept you prefer is visually appealing, but totally impracticable" is, indeed, quite practical for MY2019.

Stuart

P.S. If you think that's far-fetched, Jaguar is developing a system to monitor driver brain waves! See: Jaguar Developing System to Monitor Driver Brain Waves

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-30-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

The boomerang taillights completely destroy the rear end for me. Granted, the bubble rear end probably makes it a necessity. Is the rear going to be a hatchback? Kinda looks that way.

Like was mentioned, the body lines of the magazine article seem a little more practical. The little slit in the side for the vent needs to be shortened/gotten rid of as that is way over the top and completely useless from my point of view.

I have to agree with most of the articles in that the X351 limitations/demotivational points are more with the interior and its driver's accessories than with the car itself. But then, I am not sure I really want more "toys" inside the cab. I know the first time I sat in the car, it was information overload with the mirrors flashing things at you all the time, the radio letting you see this, that, and the other thing, etc. Keep the body like it is (maybe some very minor tweaks), but focus completely on the interior to make things more simple.

Personally speaking, I see all this "driver awareness" stuff going into the cars to help you stay awake, stop the car for you, etc. What a crock. You want to keep the driver awake or give them reason to pay attention to the road, you simply put the driver's seat right on the front bumper with a piece of thin glass between them and the road. They fall asleep and hit something, they are going to pay a hefty price. Might be a little bit of motivation. Unfortunately, I don't see this happening and we are going to continue on the path that we as the world are on in protecting the stupid from themselves. As the old saying goes, a little bit of chlorine needs to be put in the gene pool.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Banned

John,

I will address your concerns in reverse order.

1. Common, let's get real. (You meant to say "come on") You are correct. I'm an engineer, which means I can't spell.
As I will explain below, your concept of reality is ancient history. Reality is what's here now and coming soon.

2. Let's also hope it is equipped with at least a three-quarter ton air-conditioner...
Your concern about being baked alive is unwarranted. Heat reflecting auto glass is already here, and is required in all 2014MY vehicles sold in California. See: (1) California mandates use of IR reflective auto glass | Glass Magazine and (2) ClimaCoat | Saint-Gobain Sekurit and (3) IR reflective glass a ?here-and-now? solution - SAE International
I will yield that those enormous windows might not bake the occupants alive IF equipped heat reflective glass, however their low angles to the drivers line of sight will decrease vision due to interior deposits of plasticizers, smog, smoke, and fog, and exterior deposits of tree-sap micro droplets, smog, road film, salty air, dirty road splash, bird droppings, and rain droplets between wipes, etc., etc.
3. The bunker slit side windows would guarantee little old ladies couldn't see traffic approaching from the sides ...

The old school three mirror setup - rear view and L&R side view - is so yesterday. In the near future, mirrors will be replaced by cameras that are integrated with automatic front, side, and rear collision avoidance systems. See: 6 reasons why I can't wait for cameras to replace rearview mirrors - CNET One doesn't view traffic approaching from the sides through mirrors, and collision avoidance won't save little old ladies who can't see above high belt lines from getting T-Boned when they pull out in front of cars approaching from their sides.

4. ... those over-sized wheels ...would guarantee one of the roughest riding cars in the world ...
GM developed magnetic ride control (and licensed it to Ferrari and others), but Jaguar is secretly taking that technology one step further to develop the ultimate smooth ride - the first maglev (magnetic levitation) automobile. Here's a picture of their working prototype, disguised as an XK120:

I'm quit familiar with GM's Magnetic Ride Control having spent some $1,200.00 extra to have it on my factory ordered '09 Corvette. Fortunately a version of it came as standard equipment on my 2011 XJL. I don't think magnetic levitation will come to fruition as long as we drive on asphalt and concrete roadways, rather than steel rails. Meanwhile, those trendy low profile tires will continue to produce bent rims and a totally lousy ride.

So, as I explained, your conclusion that "The artist concept you prefer is visually appealing, but totally impracticable" is, indeed, quite practical for MY2019.

Stuart

P.S. If you think that's far-fetched, Jaguar is developing a system to monitor driver brain waves! See: Jaguar Developing System to Monitor Driver Brain Waves

And, if they can develop such a brain wave system, they will learn certain drivers, such as those who drive around on extra large wheeled low profiled tired vehicles, have none.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 07-01-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hi John,

You know, it's funny that I, too, couldn't spell when I was studying engineering at Lehigh U. Fortunately, I switched majors and no longer make any spelling misteaks. Or wear white socks.

I know that you are an engineer and hoped that you would have called me out on one of the future technologies that I described above. Because I surrounded an outrageous lie with an abundance of truth it made that lie appear credible. Don't believe everything you read.

The maglev XK120 is pure bs. Everything else is real. Just having a little fun to see if anyone would catch it, but no one did. I know that my sense of humor is preverted.

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
jaguarxjl (01-31-2016)
Old 07-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Banned

Hi John,

You know, it's funny that I, too, couldn't spell when I was studying engineering at Lehigh U. Fortunately, I switched majors and no longer make any spelling misteaks. Or wear white socks.

I know that you are an engineer and hoped that you would have called me out on one of the future technologies that I described above. Because I surrounded an outrageous lie with an abundance of truth it made that lie appear credible. Don't believe everything you read.

The maglev XK120 is pure bs. Everything else is real. Just having a little fun to see if anyone would catch it, but no one did. I know that my sense of humor is preverted.

Stuart
Like I said in my subsequent post: " I don't think magnetic levitation will come to fruition as long as we drive on asphalt and concrete roadways, rather than steel rails." That was, in effect, saying "bs" except in a more gentleman like manner. But good try.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 07-02-2015 at 04:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

John,
I hoped that you would have caught my intentional spelling errors. Just trying to be funny. Looks like I wasn't.
Stuart

Old 07-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned

John,
I hoped that you would have caught my intentional spelling errors. Just trying to be funny. Looks like I wasn't.
Stuart
Stuart-
Like I said, I can't spell, so I probably didn't notice your intentional spelling errors, or just ignored them if I understood what you meant, as I don't place much importance to trivial things like spelling.

However, I did appreciate the humor in your "disguised XK120", which I assume was a Photoshop creation, and I should have commented on it. My bad! That was very funny!

By the way, let me take this opportunity to tell you how much I enjoy and respect your insightful and knowledgeable contributions to this Forum.

My apology if I came across otherwise.

Peace,
John

Old 07-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, John. You didn't come across negatively in any way, shape or form. No apology needed.

I made two intentional spelling errors in my post #15, above, just to see if anyone got the jokes. Because it appears that no one did, I'll explain them now. My first error was: "... I ... no longer make any spelling misteaks." Misteak is not a word; it sounds right, but it isn't. The correct spelling is mistake. Just my sense of humor.

My second error was: "I know that my sense of humor is preverted."
Preverted is not a word. The correct spelling is perverted which, in my context, means weird and twisted from its original meaning.

You stated: "I don't place much importance to trivial things like spelling." I couldn't disagree more.

Amen.

Stuart

Old 08-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Hey does anyone know when the sat-nav 'ghost car' feature will be available in the Jag? I saw a very cool demo on Youtube. Another cool sat-nav feature would be vibrating the side of the steering wheel when turning left/right.

Cheers,
Wolfy

Quick Reply: The new 2019 Jaguar XJ