F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My F-Pace for an F-Type, resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default My F-Pace for an F-Type, resale value?

Greetings,

I have presently ordered an F-Pace S, due to be delivered to me late June. After curiously looking at used F-Types, I found I can get into a 2014 V8 S with most options for around $65K US (under 10k miles), which is what my new F-Pace will cost. I love my old XKR, but now am considering cancelling the F-Pace and replacing the XKR with an F-Type. I would keep the Cayenne as the daily workhorse. I am stunned at the pricing for the 2014 has dropped so dramatically, as the one I am looking at here in Denver stickered for $105,000.

Should I take the plunge? What areas should I be cautious about? The F-Type I am considering has had two owners at only 5,400 miles, but clean CarFax.

Thoughts?

Last edited by theweeb; 04-06-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I greatly enjoy my F-type, go test drive one and you won't need any additional convincing.

That said - 2 owners low-miles F-type is unideal. This all but guarantees that maintenance was neglected and with only occasional short drive it would fall under severe use category.

My strong recommendation is to find 1 owner car that was driven a bit more.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

With only 5400 miles not much maintenance could have been neglected. ;-)

Yeah, it'd be better if it had one owner rather than two but everything else being equal low mileage rocks. I bought my CPO 2014 with 6200 miles on it a couple months ago and so far it's been flawless. ....but my real feelings on low mileage and age/sitting come from my years collecting cars; I've had several cars that were put away for decades with little in the way of issues to show for it.

Low mileage doesn't necessarily mean that there have been a multitude of very short drives, it could just as easily indicate very few longer drives. Frequent really short drives where the engine doesn't get up to full operating temperature aren't ideal.....but I wouldn't worry about it at 5,400 miles myself.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
With only 5400 miles not much maintenance could have been neglected.
I was thinking that on a 2014 with under 10K miles and likely still factory engine oil fill, that maintenance is at least couple years overdue.

Plus, I think sellers charge unreasonable premium for a low miles car. There isn't substantial difference between 5,000 miles car and 25,000 miles car.

Now, I have seen my fair share of 'garage rot' where older low miles cars start to fall apart when put into use, more so than comparable car with regular miles would. Clearly, that won't happen on a 2014 car, well at least not until 2024 or so.

Last edited by SinF; 04-06-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe; my dealer and service department said to service it once a year regardless of mileage. I'll take the 5000 mile car over the 25,000 mile car every time.

As far as the garage rot; we'll agree to disagree as that isn't my experience at all. Sure you might have some issues on start up with a car that has been sitting in a chicken coup for 30 years (like one I purchased) but it is still usually in far better overall condition that one that was used regularly those 30 years. In fact I recently bought a 16 year old motorcycle that has been stored almost continuously since new; it had 577 miles on it. All I had to do was put in a new battery, a fresh tank of gas and replace the dry rotted tires......and it's been running perfectly for a year now. Every time I take something on the bike apart to service it, I'm shocked at how mint the various bits are.

Maintenance and storage certainly make a huge difference in any vehicle but most parts have a duty cycle measured in miles.....I own a small fleet of work vehicles and regular use and high mileage generate the predictable results most of the time.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 04-06-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

A loaded V8 with 4 months worth of miles on it, for the price of a stripped base? I'd go for it, if it wasn't black

Old 04-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The first thing I'd check is the initial in-service date. At this point, the first 2014 cars that arrived on US shores (March/April 2013) and sold shortly after their arrival have only about 12 months of warranty left. With 2 owners, this car could have been "lemon-lawed" by the first owner, resold, and then traded again. I'd ask to see service records.

Even if the above is true, it could still be a smokin' good deal if it's early teething pains have been taken care of. Perhaps you could negotiate an extended warranty plan thrown in or at a deep discount.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:02 PM

I really appreciate the feedback so far. It was delivered to the first dealership in Florida on 8/07/2013, they immediately replaced the instrument cluster, found to be faulty during pre-acceptance inspection. Sold on 8/24. It was next sold to someone here in Colorado just one year later (8/22/14) @ 3,900 miles. CARFAX shows regular maintenance, by the same dealer I am buying the F-Pace from (twice in the past 19 months), but of course I am not sure how accurate CARFAX is. Even though it is already two-owner, it appears to be have taken care of.

This is really bugging me.... I know it must be like night and day, the difference between my XKR and this, and yet I have been pretty excited about the arrival of the F-Pace. I see that no one here has tried to talk me into keeping the order for the CUV

I can probably get somewhere between $16k-$20K for my XKR, and have the cash for the difference on the F-Type.

So what is causing me pause?

Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

The car will tell you when you hit the 1 year mark, if you haven't changed your oil. Although I think someone has posted how to clear that message. I change my oil yearly, as I don't approach the recommended mileage, and I see a warning to change my oil.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

It doesn't sound great to me.
It may sound hypocritical, as I am looking into selling my four month old car, but if it was taken in for repairs often, it's a lemon. It may not have been official lemon-lawed, but it sounds like one of those cars that will always cause you grief.
You're better off paying a few bucks more to get a car from someone who just likes to buy new cars and sell them a year later, or someone like shift (rip shift) who had a job change or whatever and had to give it up.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by theweeb
I really appreciate the feedback so far. It was delivered to the first dealership in Florida on 8/07/2013, they immediately replaced the instrument cluster, found to be faulty during pre-acceptance inspection. Sold on 8/24. It was next sold to someone here in Colorado just one year later (8/22/14) @ 3,900 miles. CARFAX shows regular maintenance, by the same dealer I am buying the F-Pace from (twice in the past 19 months), but of course I am not sure how accurate CARFAX is. Even though it is already two-owner, it appears to be have taken care of.

This is really bugging me.... I know it must be like night and day, the difference between my XKR and this, and yet I have been pretty excited about the arrival of the F-Pace. I see that no one here has tried to talk me into keeping the order for the CUV

I can probably get somewhere between $16k-$20K for my XKR, and have the cash for the difference on the F-Type.

So what is causing me pause?

Honestly, I can't see a reason to have the F pace and a Cayenne? Your XKR is a nice car but I think you'd really like swapping it for an F type. Take one for a drive and see what you think. Foosh raises a good point about the in-service date; you might want to think about an extended warranty.

I bought my CPO 2014 V8S a couple months ago and got the extended warranty which is good for 160,000 kms and/or 6 years from the in service date which gives me almost 3 years left...

good luck,
Dave

Old 04-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

I agree with several posters. Get a CPO one owner car from a dealer. Many cars to be had out there. Also it's not that expensive to ship a car from out of state if there is a better car out there. Is it the color and finish you like?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Honestly, I can't see a reason to have the F pace and a Cayenne? Your XKR is a nice car but I think you'd really like swapping it for an F type. Take one for a drive and see what you think. Foosh raises a good point about the in-service date; you might want to think about an extended warranty.
Dave
Thanks, Dave. The original plan was to rid myself of the Cayenne, replacing it with the FP. The XKR is my second of the line (had a '97 XK8), and really enjoy the way it feels. It is hard to put into words, but the curves of the body, the full plank of burled walnut dash, just have a sense of classic, it is really kind of calming. I know the performance - though not up to F-type - is still faster than probably 90% of the cars on the road, and the handling, though again, above the majority, not near the F-type, enjoys eating up the curves. There is also a bit of uniqueness to it, as only just over 1,000 of this year were built, and half of them made it to the US. I just feel good driving it, there is always a smile on my face.

That said, I love to drive, and last year considered trading the XKR on a Viper, as the raw power intoxicated me. That is what is drawing me to the F-type V8, that power, the handling, and of course the branding. The styling has grown on me, as when it was first introduced, I thought it looked too muscular as compared to the E and XK. I now see it differently.

As for my color choices, I am pretty much set on black or red, though a darker silver is also possible. My Jeep is salsa red, the Cayenne, slate grey metallic (it really pops), so along those lines.

I just saw a head-to-head video with the F-type vs. the 911 S. Fascinating.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
This all but guarantees that maintenance was neglected .
At 5400 miles, what maintenance is there to neglect? Just check for the annual oil change and look at the rear tires. You'll see how badly it was abused.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Greetings,

I have presently ordered an F-Pace S, due to be delivered to me late June. After curiously looking at used F-Types, I found I can get into a 2014 V8 S with most options for around $65K US (under 10k miles), which is what my new F-Pace will cost. I love my old XKR, but now am considering cancelling the F-Pace and replacing the XKR with an F-Type. I would keep the Cayenne as the daily workhorse. I am stunned at the pricing for the 2014 has dropped so dramatically, as the one I am looking at here in Denver stickered for $105,000.

Should I take the plunge? What areas should I be cautious about? The F-Type I am considering has had two owners at only 5,400 miles, but clean CarFax.

Thoughts?
Look on CarGuru.com. Take a few weeks, you will eventually find the one.

2 months ago I started searching for a 2014 V8S. I used CarGuru.com. I'd see the inventory change about every 2 weeks (there were usually about 3 to 4 available in the midwest states, more in Florida, etc). My local dealer would get one in, then a couple of weeks later it would be gone. I ended up getting one from a dealership in Ohio about 3 hours away, drove there with my wife and drove it home.

I negotiated down to $60k before even driving down there, continent on an inspection and test drive. It has 17k miles on it. It is in excellent condition (worn out front tires). Sticker was $100k.

God I love this car.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

we bought a 2014 V8S with just under 5,000 miles on it, no issues other than the rocker panel flake which has been fixed and repainted twice on dealer's dime and now seems to be OK. No issues with the car whatsoever, have put about 10,000 miles on since then. Compared to the XKR it is a rocket .... my V8S also came with all option packages at that time, I believe it was 5 option packages, fully loaded. I paid $85k on the road ... last January.

Last edited by Schwabe; 04-07-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Dave. The original plan was to rid myself of the Cayenne, replacing it with the FP. The XKR is my second of the line (had a '97 XK8), and really enjoy the way it feels. It is hard to put into words, but the curves of the body, the full plank of burled walnut dash, just have a sense of classic, it is really kind of calming. I know the performance - though not up to F-type - is still faster than probably 90% of the cars on the road, and the handling, though again, above the majority, not near the F-type, enjoys eating up the curves. There is also a bit of uniqueness to it, as only just over 1,000 of this year were built, and half of them made it to the US. I just feel good driving it, there is always a smile on my face.

That said, I love to drive, and last year considered trading the XKR on a Viper, as the raw power intoxicated me. That is what is drawing me to the F-type V8, that power, the handling, and of course the branding. The styling has grown on me, as when it was first introduced, I thought it looked too muscular as compared to the E and XK. I now see it differently.

As for my color choices, I am pretty much set on black or red, though a darker silver is also possible. My Jeep is salsa red, the Cayenne, slate grey metallic (it really pops), so along those lines.

I just saw a head-to-head video with the F-type vs. the 911 S. Fascinating.

Ahh; that makes sense: it's F type and Cayenne vs. F Pace and XKR.....tough decision. Drive 'em all and decide which combo you can't live without! I don't think you can go wrong either way. Nice.

good luck,
Dave

Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,546 Likes on 1,414 Posts

theweeb,
I'm not sure what's stopping you either, however, at the price you're thinking about, there are nearly new (with less than 3K miles) XKRs out there that I think will be an easier transition from your X100. I have both the X100 and X150 and there is simply no comparison. While I think the X100 is one of the most beautiful shapes I've ever seen, the X150 (with the 5.0L supercharged engine) is light years ahead in terms of engine, suspension, handling etc. I spent a week with an F-type V8S and loved it (especially the joyful noise), but felt a bit cramped and the covertible's trunk was just too tiny for my needs. You might want to take a look. Forum member ralphwg recently bought a brand new 2013 XKR (never registered, from a Jaguar dealer) for under $59000.00 as I recall.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
theweeb,
I'm not sure what's stopping you either, however, at the price you're thinking about, there are nearly new (with less than 3K miles) XKRs out there that I think will be an easier transition from your X100. I have both the X100 and X150 and there is simply no comparison. While I think the X100 is one of the most beautiful shapes I've ever seen, the X150 (with the 5.0L supercharged engine) is light years ahead in terms of engine, suspension, handling etc. I spent a week with an F-type V8S and loved it (especially the joyful noise), but felt a bit cramped and the covertible's trunk was just too tiny for my needs. You might want to take a look. Forum member ralphwg recently bought a brand new 2013 XKR (never registered, from a Jaguar dealer) for under $59000.00 as I recall.
My dealer had a 2014 CPO XKR with the exact same mileage in the same color scheme as my F type for a virtually identical price. In the end I went with the F type because;

- it felt sportier
- exhaust note
- the 2014 F type is the beginning of a new model and the 2014 XKR is the end of an old model.
- styling of the XKR seemed dated in comparison.....although also a VERY nice car.
- our other "fun car" is an SLK 350 and the F type already feels huge in comparison so we didn't want to go even bigger.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

While XKR is a nice car, it won't get nearly as much positive attention as F-type. Driving around my F-type, I did not expect to get that much attention. People notice it more than classic cars I drive.

Quick Reply: My F-Pace for an F-Type, resale value?