F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '18 infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New '18 infotainment

Background: I have a '14 V8S and have a '18 SVR convertible arriving in June.

Today I got a brand new '17 RR EVOQUE on loan while something is sorted out with a rough idle on the ftype. This is my first experience with the new infotainment system. As horribly slow as the '14 system is it always worked, you'd push a button and it would get there.... eventually... I was so happy that the new ftype had a new system, until today.

My first 4 times with the evoque today were so infuriating. 10% of the time when I would push something on the screen it wouldn't work until it was pushed multiple times, this at varying degrees of pressure and duration. The system would freeze randomly. Then the Bluetooth decided to stop working, and wouldn't repair even after stopping, and turning the car on and off multiple times. Another trip and it allowed me to re-pair the phone.

I am on the edge of canceling my order as I could deal with a slower system previously but now a buggy system that randomly freezes and doesn't work is pushing the limits.

Has anyone with a '18 ftype or other JLR product with the new system had a positive, seamless experience?

"Looking forward" to the weekend with this system to see what to do as this isn't acceptable in a 150k car, Not when Porsche, Audi and Mercedes have flawless systems.

Last edited by rammer_28; 05-12-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

There is no such thing as a flawless infotainment system. Infotainment is inherently complicated due to the endless complexity of our phones and devices; the car companies can only do so much to combat this. That being said, I don't expect a small, relatively low volume manufacturer like Jaguar to invest as much money on infotainment as bigger companies do, and that may be some of what you're seeing.

In addition to this, you can call it unacceptable for a 150k car to have a bad radio... but low volume, premium brands are always going to have the worst radios from a quality standpoint. There's a reason Maserati uses Chrysler's Uconnect; because they couldn't possibly afford to develop a good system on their own; regardless of what you pay for the car. A good radio system takes hundreds of people to develop just within the OEM, not including the supplier support who develop the software.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
There is no such thing as a flawless infotainment system. Infotainment is inherently complicated due to the endless complexity of our phones and devices; the car companies can only do so much to combat this. That being said, I don't expect a small, relatively low volume manufacturer like Jaguar to invest as much money on infotainment as bigger companies do, and that may be some of what you're seeing.

In addition to this, you can call it unacceptable for a 150k car to have a bad radio... but low volume, premium brands are always going to have the worst radios from a quality standpoint. There's a reason Maserati uses Chrysler's Uconnect; because they couldn't possibly afford to develop a good system on their own; regardless of what you pay for the car. A good radio system takes hundreds of people to develop just within the OEM, not including the supplier support who develop the software.
You're right, flawless wasn't the correct word, but far superior systems. I don't buy that small production means it can't have a proper system, especially after they just spent years and millions creating the new one. Maybe in the past but now two of the best infotainment systems in the world are made by Volvo and Tesla, Volvo having similar production numbers to JLR and Tesla far less. Let alone that JLR is catching up to Porsche in volumes.

But more importantly; anyone have a positive experience with the new system vs the old?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rammer_28
I don't buy that small production means it can't have a proper system, especially after they just spent years and millions creating the new one. Maybe in the past but now two of the best infotainment systems in the world are made by Volvo and Tesla, Volvo having similar production numbers to JLR and Tesla far less. Let alone that JLR is catching up to Porsche in volumes.
But it really does mean that. The complexity of infotainment is simply mind boggling. Every time a company comes out with a new phone, the radio team has to adjust for that. That being said... I certainly wouldn't call Telsa's radio one of the best in the business... its been riddled with bugs since it came out, just like what you're referring to on the RR. Granted its filled with cool features, but that doesn't make it a good radio. I'm not familiar with Volvo's setup, but i don't remember them being in the top 3 for JD Power's radio results last time we went through them at work.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I had an XE loaner with the new system for the day when my car was in for servicing recently.

I thought it was a quantum leap forward from the system in my '14 and I didn't experience any problems or issues using it.

Having said that I find the system in my '14 does absolutely everything that I need it to - sure it looks very dated and is slow in comparison but that's not a big deal for me.

Bottom line - the new system would be nice to have but I don't feel I am missing out on anything and I wouldn't put it in my list of considerations if looking for reasons to upgrade to a newer car.

The following users liked this post:
rammer_28 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

I had a 17 Evoque loaner a few weeks ago while the Jag was in for annual service and a few misc warranty repairs. I found the infotainment system to be quite good. Had 0 issues and was very responsive. The screen was massive and high quality. Looking forward to picking up a new RR next year for the wife when her current lease runs out.

rammer_28 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Glad to hear some positive experiences with the system. Hopefully I just had some bad luck.

Always wonder why they don't just stick an iPad there and forget about it.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

i wasn't aware 18' ftypes were in supply yet.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Always wonder why they don't just stick an iPad there and forget about it.
Because iPads don't integrate with the CAN bus system. It would cost a literal fortune to stick an iPad in the car, and even then it wouldnt work with any android phone.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

You young wippersnappers complaining about slowness of the Nav system. Why in my day we used to use maps. Talk about slow. And if you needed a phone, you stopped and dropped a dime in one at the gas station.

Seriously though, I can probably type a bit faster than the screen reacts, but I'm not so busy that I can't wait an extra 1/2 second for the next keypress. This is really a first world problem.

You youngsters stay off my lawn!

The following 4 users liked this post by Dogbreath!:
DJS (05-13-2017), Mbourne (05-13-2017), Misujerr (05-16-2017), ololly (05-16-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

But more importantly; anyone have a positive experience with the new system vs the old?
I had the old (the black and white one) in an XF which I thought was a step backwards from the older blue and white one. It was slower and too much on the screen so it was easy to hit the wrong thing and I really hated it. I ended up only lasting with that XF for 12 months and the media contributed to my wanting to move on.

The new ('16 and over) I find excellent to use - not perfect but better than anything else I've used. We have it in both cars. It was the main reason I decided to buy a demo S against a year old R, as I thought I couldnt live with the system in the R. Which I appreciate isnt really the proper spirit, but...

Old 05-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here, my R is in for service and I have a tiny little Evoque in my possession. The infotainment system works fine but is underwhelming. I will say that for what it is, I love the Evoque and this experience has now made me look at the Velar for our next purchase.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

The infotainment system in the XE loaner I just had seemed a little better than the one in my '16 F-Type. The screens were a bit different but and I didn't try all the options (didn't try USB drive, didn't pair my phone, etc.) but my general impression was that it was a bit more refined.

The backup camera was definitely better.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
Same here, my R is in for service and I have a tiny little Evoque in my possession. The infotainment system works fine but is underwhelming. I will say that for what it is, I love the Evoque and this experience has now made me look at the Velar for our next purchase.
I wish Land Rover would produce an off-road vehicle again.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I wish Land Rover would produce an off-road vehicle again.
you mean you wouldn't take a $180,000 RR autobiography off road?

Old 05-13-2017, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
you mean you wouldn't take a $180,000 RR autobiography off road?
If I can't hose down the interior to clean it out, it's not an off-road vehicle. The original Defender is what I has in mind, not some fruity SUV with leather interior.

This is more what I have in mind:

Count the number of gear shift levers...that's 3 more than in the Evoque.

Mbourne (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

We have Maser Ghibli and Uconnect is Great. Who cares where it comes from ,it works! In an Italian car that is very rare. Took 2 years for them to replace radio With Harman instead of their own, which was crap and cost them a lot of warranty claims.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 AM

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/15/1...arplay-io-2017

Finally... that's pretty much what I meant by just stick an iPad there.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

2018MY handower and reference guide https://yadi.sk/i/4YTB1H5V3EWck8

Old 05-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

have an MY18 SVR and the infotainment is ok, jag apps don't support spotify on android yet which is a pain but the bluetooth works just fine and I never use satnav in the car as Waze totally beats it.