F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should I get and what years are the good ones?
SVR
9.76%
R Coupe
70.73%
2.44%
17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

the new guy and looking at buying into the Jag family

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 03:42 PM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I have no choice but to find one from out of state. There's nothing here for me. That's fine, though. I don't mind. Thank you for letting me know that there is an option for that.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:20 PM
JagForums Town Crier
Received 154 Likes on 103 Posts

This thread is one of the things that makes this forum so awesome! It actually got posted to the front page. My vote is for an Ultra Blue example, but I'm sure OP will be happy with any one he finds! Can't wait to hear about his experience with the new kitty!

The following users liked this post:
Pcar2Jag (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 03:45 PM

That is a great article! I love it!

I've started a spreadsheet! That is how obsessed I've become. I can't stop looking at the photos, and I'm constantly online every day all day long looking for my next love (wow, that sounds weird). Even my wife is ready to take a ride in the Jag once we find the right one, Spring is in the air here, so maybe I'll see the elusive R or SVR on the road somewhere. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-14-2020, 02:26 PM

The local dealer is telling me that another dealer (out of state) won't sell it to them for less than the retail listed price. So am I to believe that my dealer can't get the car for wholesale and still make a profit off of me? They are stating that it's going to cost $900 to ship and another $700 to do a safety inspection before they put their name on it. I call BS.

JacksonvilleJag (03-16-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't believe that. $900 sounds reasonable to ship depending on distance. If its important you may want to ask about enclosed or at least top level of carrier.

$700 safety inspection sounds like a profit padder. Depending on how much you want this particular F type, I would start giving them numbers all in. If they say no, wait a day or two & come back with a little more. Rinse & repeat until they accept or you hit a point where it no longer makes sense. They can organize the smaller line items however they want, but as a buyer the total cost is what counts. Be ready to back out if they're being unreasonable as the cars are hard to sell, but desirable

Pcar2Jag (03-14-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Any reason you can't buy direct from the out of state dealer? I've done that several times. Works fine

Old 03-17-2020, 08:03 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought mine from a cross country dealer, had it shipped (top level of the transport to avoid rocks) along with the warranty. Only 15k miles used on the warranty, still another 85k left or 2 years. Found the ONE I wanted and bought it, no looking back. Wondrous results!

Old 03-17-2020, 08:56 PM

I have no choice but to buy from an out of state dealership. I don't think it's a hold-up on my part. I'm willing to buy one without a test drive. I'm working on a couple of leads at the moment. Sadly, the east coast dealership is proving to be the epitome of douchiness. I inquired about the car, and it seems I am texting with a 19 year old that doesn't understand customer service, grammar, or the art of negotiations. So I'm also looking at the west coast.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:28 AM
Received 272 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar2Jag
I have no choice but to buy from an out of state dealership. I don't think it's a hold-up on my part. I'm willing to buy one without a test drive. I'm working on a couple of leads at the moment. Sadly, the east coast dealership is proving to be the epitome of douchiness. I inquired about the car, and it seems I am texting with a 19 year old that doesn't understand customer service, grammar, or the art of negotiations. So I'm also looking at the west coast.
When I first contacted an out of state dealer for my car, they didn't seem that interested in making the sale. Probably because they didn't realize I was a serious buyer. Once I sent them a deposit, they were a lot more accommodating. Initial emails were vaguely responded to, so I called them and spoke to the sales manager directly.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:28 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

I have bought 2 high end cars and to high end boats from out of state with excellent results on all.
I think it is somewhat luck of the draw though because I passed on several do to flakey sellers and salesmen.
For me if it feels off or requires too much jumping through hoops to make it happen, I move on.
Too many fish in the sea philosophy ✌️

JacksonvilleJag (03-20-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 12:41 PM

I can understand that the dealerships probably get tired of inquiries. I would be too. However, they should treat each contact as a potential sale. Because of the bad attitude from the dealer on the East coast, I opted to stop talking to them (I was losing brain cells) and got a nice call from the dealer on the West coast. Guess what? I'm buying from them now. Stand by!

JacksonvilleJag (03-20-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 01:11 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,089 Likes on 1,391 Posts

The first few years of the F-type, some dealers honored other’s market, and wouldn’t sell outside their region. I suspect that stopped years ago, with all the older models stacking up in inventory.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:15 PM

I'm so excited! I can't believe it's happening. My wife is calling the finance manager to talk about the credit application and why it's needed when I already have an awesome pre-approved loan. I think I'll have to start getting my documents ready!

Old 03-18-2020, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I can understand that the dealerships probably get tired of inquiries. I would be too. However, they should treat each contact as a potential sale. Because of the bad attitude from the dealer on the East coast, I opted to stop talking to them (I was losing brain cells) and got a nice call from the dealer on the West coast. Guess what? I'm buying from them now. Stand by!
You'll see this a lot with used higher end cars. These dealers get hit up almost non-stop with "virtual tire kickers". If you start talking about the finance side of things early, that let's them know how serious you are verses the others.

Pcar2Jag (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 04:01 PM
Banned
Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm so excited! I can't believe it's happening. My wife is calling the finance manager to talk about the credit application and why it's needed when I already have an awesome pre-approved loan. I think I'll have to start getting my documents ready!
I haven't checked, so this is a WAG, but I would expect to find a car loan for less than 2% decent credit.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,656 Likes on 3,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftypelover
I haven't checked, so this is a WAG, but I would expect to find a car loan for less than 2% decent credit.
Maybe not. Home mortgage rates aren’t following the Fed rate decline. Let us know.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 AM

Correct. The mortgage rates and personal loan rates are different. It's funny how people think that banks give away money for free. They're not in the business of donating money.

In any case, I started the paperwork yesterday and hope to hear from them today. I'll let you guys know how much shipping is and how they're going to ship it.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,089 Likes on 1,391 Posts

More that mortgage rates fall slowly, but rise quickly, IMO.

scm (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Banned
Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

Correct. The mortgage rates and personal loan rates are different. It's funny how people think that banks give away money for free. They're not in the business of donating money.

In any case, I started the paperwork yesterday and hope to hear from them today. I'll let you guys know how much shipping is and how they're going to ship it.
For sh*ts and giggles I checked this AM and the best I could find was 2.38, but I didn't call my local bank where I got 2.99 two years ago when rates were a tad higher.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Wait!

Luxury car market just tanked along with stock market.

What was a great deal last week is now paying above market price. Make sure to ask for additional discounts.

Quick Reply: the new guy and looking at buying into the Jag family