F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Performance Modifications/Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Non-Performance Modifications/Upgrades

As a new F-Type owner, I am planning on making one or two modifications/upgrades (that have nothing to do with the performance of the car - IOW, solely appearance related). I kind of like the puddle light logo that some have purchased on ebay. That may be one of my first.

Are there some that you have made that are worthy of consideration? Any that are on your list?

Old 11-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

The generally agreed best bang for your buck non-performance mods are to fit lowering springs and wheel spacers/adapters. Doing these two things improves the stance out of sight, from the factory it looks like it's on tippy-toes.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Not appearance related but I had the entire sound system overhauled. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The generally agreed best bang for your buck non-performance mods are to fit lowering springs and wheel spacers/adapters. Doing these two things improves the stance out of sight, from the factory it looks like it's on tippy-toes.
I would contend that the springs are a performance modification (chassis performance) unless done to improve the looks or styling to the detriment of handling. That falls into a whole other category.

I'd like lower, stiffer springs, but wouldn't be able to daily drive if it were any lower.

There are optional vents (hood, fender) that might improve appearance, depending on what you've got and what color the car is. For convertibles, you can change the covers on the hoops behind the seats.

Many like coverings to preserve the paint, e.g. Expel (X-Pel? Not sure of spelling).

Debadging, either partial or complete is also reasonably common. I removed the "JAGUAR" and "F-Type" lettering from the rear, but kept the "leaper" and the "S".

Recently there has been discussion of stripes.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:28 PM

I would think that the degree to which the F-Type appears to be on its’ tip-toes is in part related to wheel size, no? Wouldn’t you say that the tip-toe look is greater with 18” rims than it is with 20”?

I saw thie discussion regarding stripes. They have never been my thing. Can’t think of a car that I thought looked better with a stripe than without . Just a personal preference.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by woodturner
I would think that the degree to which the F-Type appears to be on its’ tip-toes is in part related to wheel size, no? Wouldn’t you say that the tip-toe look is greater with 18” rims than it is with 20”?

I saw thie discussion regarding stripes. They have never been my thing. Can’t think of a car that I thought looked better with a stripe than without . Just a personal preference.
I've got 19s and it doesn't seem tip-toe to me, but perhaps I've just resigned myself to the current ride height.

For stripes, I generally agree, but there are counter-examples. The Ford GT40 just doesn't look right without them. Again, personal preference.

For the record, is yours a coupe or a convertible? V6 or V8? Color?

Old 11-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo

For stripes, I generally agree, but there are counter-examples. The Ford GT40 just doesn't look right without them. Again, personal preference.
Point well taken. The Ford GT is virtually iconic with the stripe. I can't really visualize that car sans stripe.

For the record, is yours a coupe or a convertible? V6 or V8? Color?
Silver 2015 V6 S with 20" rims.

Last edited by woodturner; 11-03-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Out of curiosity, what's the expected price range for installing lowering springs and wheel spacers (in a shop....non-DIYer)?

Old 11-03-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Not appearance related but I had the entire sound system overhauled. Some of the best money I've ever spent.
Which of the three sound systems did you start with? Did you do something beyond increasing the power and adding a center speaker?

Old 11-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Out of curiosity, what's the expected price range for installing lowering springs and wheel spacers (in a shop....non-DIYer)?
500-600 depending on labor rates in your area. It’s a 4-5 hour job.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Installing lowering springs is not a job for a novice, but if you can change a tyre you can install the wheel spacers, it's a piece of cake and a waste of money paying a shop to do it.

Burt Gummer (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would contend that the springs are a performance modification (chassis performance) unless done to improve the looks or styling to the detriment of handling. That falls into a whole other category.

I'd like lower, stiffer springs, but wouldn't be able to daily drive if it were any lower.

There are optional vents (hood, fender) that might improve appearance, depending on what you've got and what color the car is. For convertibles, you can change the covers on the hoops behind the seats.

Many like coverings to preserve the paint, e.g. Expel (X-Pel? Not sure of spelling).

Debadging, either partial or complete is also reasonably common. I removed the "JAGUAR" and "F-Type" lettering from the rear, but kept the "leaper" and the "S".

Recently there has been discussion of stripes.
Do not remove the leaper. A hole exists underneath it where a piece of the underside of the leaper fits into it for positioning. It’s not quite 1/4” in diameter.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

I removed the leaper a couple of days ago (after having removed the JAGUAR and F-Type lettering months ago).
It has two holes and a small rectangular indentation underneath it, the two holes are for locating tabs in the leaper, I have no idea what the indentation is for (it sits between the two holes).
I spray painted the leaper in gloss black using caliper paint then stuck it back on using black silicone adhesive, about 3 mm lower than the OEM placement so it's now pretty much central instead of sitting "high". I cut the locating tabs off before painting it.
Looks pretty good I reckon and now matches the black S badge I stuck on a week ago.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I would contend that the springs are a performance modification (chassis performance) unless done to improve the looks or styling to the detriment of handling.
+1.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

I would contend that the lowering springs are a twofer, better looks and better handling in one go!

Old 11-04-2017, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

I give you the least expensive modification/upgrade, good for 1 extra mph (so I guess you might consider it a performance mod as well...with apologies for the photo being shown in the wrong orientation):

Attached Thumbnails Non-Performance Modifications/Upgrades-c45d4238-2c79-4ca3-a333-4c9e8675ff17.jpeg  

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-04-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Jagged Wire (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:25 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Green Lipstick and a Circle

You know that white lipstick on the grille surround on the Project 7? I thought of doing one in green - either spray plasti dip or wrap so I can take it off if I hate it. Something between British Racing and kelly green.

I would also like that big white dot on the door. Would I look like a poser?

Old 11-04-2017, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
You know that white lipstick on the grille surround on the Project 7? I thought of doing one in green - either spray plasti dip or wrap so I can take it off if I hate it. Something between British Racing and kelly green.

I would also like that big white dot on the door. Would I look like a poser?
If you’re on a racetrack no. Otherwise, yes.

Jagged Wire (11-06-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Which of the three sound systems did you start with? Did you do something beyond increasing the power and adding a center speaker?
Replaced the door speakers and put in a high quality component set. Disconnected all factory speakers. Added a processor. Added subwoofer in the trunk and a couple amps to support the sub + comps.

Details here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...inside-155712/

Misujerr (11-07-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I am a big fan of the exterior carbon fiber bits