Sponsored by:

Opinion wanted re:. Front bumper side vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Opinion wanted re:. Front bumper side vents

Hey guys,
so i was at my dealer today to get warrenty work done on my car, O2 sensor had to be replaced. The service tech suggested that the plastic plate directly behind the plastic mesh screen be drilled with several quarter size holes so air can move through the plastic plate, getting fresh air to the Eventuri CAI cone air filter located behind the plastic plate area of front bumper.
It sounded logical to me. I don't take the car out on raining days so I'm not overly concerned about water getting to the air filter.
But ... I want your opinion please. What do you think . Maybe I'm missing something​ and it's actually a bad idea ? What say you....
Thank you.

PS. I asked my service advisor about the brake cooling ducts and why Jaguar discontinued the ducts
Without even thinking, he said the ducts were poorly designed and they frequently get disconnected and pop off. Customers were not happy with the bad design so Jaguar stopped offering the brake ducts.

Last edited by Ubad2; 06-10-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

in general drilling holes where there aren't any is going to create aerodynamic changes that the car's engineers did not intend. I would proceed with caution, but I am not an expert.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Nati ....

Generally speaking, i do agree with you but ..... prior to its discontinuation Jaguar was selling brake air cooling ducts for the car. The ducts were place directly behind that honeycomb plastic mesh grill. They stopped selling the ducts due to complaints from customers, poor design as it would come loose. So if that was okay, I'm thinking a few holes each the size of a quarter shouldn't change anything.
yes ... no .... ???

Old 06-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Interesting, I was washing my car, saw all that stuff blocked off and wondering the same thing...