Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Watch advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default OT: Watch advice

I decided to retire my old timepiece, so I am now shopping for a new one and need suggestions. Problem, I am a car guy and know very little about watches. I don't regularly wear one, and would need one only for Important Meetings. I am in technology sector, so maybe I don't even need one?

Q1: Is watch still expected?
Q2: What would be the economical way to get bare-minimum to meet expectations?
Q3: Are there any 'pairings' with F-type that are possible?

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by SinF; 06-11-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

We don't really live in a watch age anymore... I highly doubt anyone you meet with will expect nor care if you wear a watch.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

We still sell quite a lot of high end watches. My personal favorite with a suit is Rolex Daytona 6239 (Paul Newman) with a leather band, or pretty much any of the old pre -80's Daytonas. Different band, different occasion. Other favorites for sportier occasions PAM 224 and 240. Oris has quite a few nice watches also as does Audemars Piquet. None of my watches tell actual time, I put them on and let them start when ever, some of them are on winders, some are not.

And then there's this for the enthusiast, New Bremont Watches With Jaguar | News | Bremont

Old 06-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I am a watch collector so can try and give advice - but not sure what you mean by "Minimum to meet expectations" - whose expectations? And what are those expectations?

I also am not sure of the connection between being in the technology industry and the need (or not) for a watch?

Also - what is your budget? You can go all the way from a Tissot up to a Richard Mille.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I use a watch all the time! My go between 2 watches. One is my Tag Heuer Carrera 17 and the other is, funnily enough, my Garmin Fenix 3!

I tend to wear the Tag for formal occasions and the Garmin when I am "running" around town & not just one I am going for a run, hike, bike etc. The Garmin connects to my iPhone and is a smartwatch in addition to the other sport functions.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default I am also a collector

Nice mechanical watches are like nice engines. One doesn't need a watch just as one doesn't need a nice pair of shoes but it's clear that one who drives a F-Type would have a fascination with a fine timepiece.

If you're going to pull the trigger on an investment grade timepiece, the thing to remember is make sure the watch has at the very least a mechanical movement. That is to say no batteries.

Wind it up by hand or wind it by wearing it should be your general rule.

I own two watches:

A brushed titanium Prometheus GT on bracelet.
A steel Panerai Chrono on bracelet.

Personally I like chunky, massive steel, chrono watches with great movements like Valjoux 7750 w/ day dates.

As a previous poster said, if you've got about $10k to kick around, get yourself a pre-owned steel Rolex Daytona and you can't go wrong. They never depreciate and they are simply timeless in design. Will aways be a classic. Especially my favorite, the white face with the custom Paul Newman tribute red hands w/ arabic. This will be my next watch. It is a classic watch that will be appreciated by all who see it on our wrist.

Attached Thumbnails OT: Watch advise-img_0206.jpg   OT: Watch advise-img_0207.jpg   OT: Watch advise-00015964.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-11-2016 at 02:16 PM.
SinF (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
We don't really live in a watch age anymore... I highly doubt anyone you meet with will expect nor care if you wear a watch.
+1. This is true in the U.S. Overseas is a different matter, but depends on region which brand/model denotes success. If you want to wear a watch, an Apple Watch is appropriate in a high tech environment unless you're meeting with one of their competitors.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Default You don't wear a timepiece because you need it to know what time it is...

Far from it.

You wear it because you appreciate the technical detail and handsome looks of the watch itself.

50 years ago the watch performed the function of time/date, now the watch performs the function of keeping you in touch with the retro spirit of mechanical engineering and enduring quality of hand made products. As time goes on we lose our connection to this. Some people hold it precious. This is why people collect Lionel trains, autographed books, Leica cameras, Campagnolo bikes, pinball machines.

I liken it to someone buying a car with an ICE in this day and age. You can almost say if you can only connect to the usefulness of an Apple watch, then why even buy a car with a motor when we can spend about the same money as we did for our F's and get ourselves a Tesla.

There is something in our souls that has an appreciation for things that are build well and look nice.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-11-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Uk2usa (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Whenever anyone asks me the same question, what is the bare minimum for a nice watch, I always recommend going to eBay and search for Invicta, for instance this Speedway is only around $80 but in real life it looks like it's an expensive watch.

SinF (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

"There is something in our souls that has an appreciation for things that are build well and look nice"

Very well said!!

I love the craftsmanship that goes into a nice Timepiece. I'm not a Collector or Dealer really,I do love watches though, so a few years ago I started with a Titanium IWC Aquatimer, I traded a bit, up and across since then and now have Panerai's , IWC's and now I'm looking for a Rolex batman or Deep Sea.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uk2usa

Whenever anyone asks me the same question, what is the bare minimum for a nice watch, I always recommend going to eBay and search for Invicta, for instance this Speedway is only around $80 but in real life it looks like it's an expensive watch.
Invicta is the entry level for a decent watch. It was my first mechanical watch. Look only for one that's mechanical, not Quartz. You can get one used on eBay for 4-500. If you opt Quartz, i.e. Citizen, Seiko, Casio etc, the brand is totally meaningless. Just select by style or features.

Understand that mechanical timepieces have a "motor", quartz watches have batteries.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-11-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I decided to jump in. I have been a watch freak for about 50 years. My first nice watch was a mechanical Omega, the one the astronauts wore. I had that refurbed in Switzerland and passed it on to my son.
I have owned 4 different Rolexes but my current and last purchase is the Submariner, two tone, blue dial. I am fond of that because I was a submariner.
Another mechanical I own was bought about 40 years ago, a Seiko alarm, pretty unique for a mechanical. I needed the alarm and I only bought mechanical back then
I recently bought a Ball mechanical. They are reasonably priced and I really like the tritium lighting, much better than any of the newer coatings on luminous watches.
In fact I like the tritium so much I also own a couple of Luminox electronic watches. I like them and rotate them for my daily use.
I also have a number of electronic watches, inexpensive, for special purposes: sailing, WWV time set, beach, etc.
I have concluded that watches with little dials within the big dial are useless to me. I do not own any chronographs anymore, too hard to read the stupid dials.
I do like the look of an analog watch on my wrist, my mind does D to A conversions for any digital timepiece, just my nature.
Be advised about the one drawback of a mechanical watch. If you are **** about it keeping accurate time, as I am, you are going to need to have it serviced periodically and the more expensive the watch, the more expensive the service. I think my last Rolex service was $450 and you can get a very nice, very accurate quartz watch for that.
Larry

SinF (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993
I also am not sure of the connection between being in the technology industry and the need (or not) for a watch?
Silicon Valley culture (tight jeans, sneakers, and beards) relaxed dress standards quite a bit in the tech sector everywhere in the world. While I am still wearing tailored suits for important meetings, I downgraded to business casual or dressed up jeans for everyday office wear.

Also - what is your budget?
I was hoping to spend as little as possible to get something interesting. I certainly do not intent to flash the cash and bling bling it up.

Last edited by SinF; 06-11-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

I do appreciate mechanical watches, I have very nice Slava watch that I used to wear a lot. I realized that it is now irreplaceable (sentimental reasons), so I wouldn't want to ever travel with it.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Question ....

Originally Posted by SinF
I decided to retire my old timepiece, so I am now shopping for a new one and need suggestions. Problem, I am a car guy and know very little about watches. I don't regularly wear one, and would need one only for Important Meetings. I am in technology sector, so maybe I don't even need one?

Q1: Is watch still expected?
Q2: What would be the economical way to get bare-minimum to meet expectations?
Q3: Are there any 'pairings' with F-type that are possible?

Any advice is appreciated!
If it's a good looking quality casual knock around watch your looking for, then you should check out;
MT-G G SHOCK

If it's serious hardcore watch, then I would say BREITLING all the way !

SinF (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 583 Likes on 396 Posts

You might enjoy reading through an old thread Shift started:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-145288/

These days, a watch is totally optional. So, wearing one is more a matter of habit and/or style -- which reminds me of when my Dad was having dinner with the head of Rolex back when quartz was taking off at the expense of the old watch making firms. Someone came up and asked how the watch business was doing. His response: "I'm not in the watch business; I'm in the jewelry business."

SinF (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I totally agree ....

Originally Posted by uncheel
You might enjoy reading through an old thread Shift started:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-145288/

These days, a watch is totally optional. So, wearing one is more a matter of habit and/or style -- which reminds me of when my Dad was having dinner with the head of Rolex back when quartz was taking off at the expense of the old watch making firms. Someone came up and asked how the watch business was doing. His response: "I'm not in the watch business; I'm in the jewelry business."
High end watches are jewelry and also status symbol on man's wrist .

Old 06-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Can you provide a budget range? This would be helpful.
Also, if you want something to go with your car you could go sporty or stylish. Lots of room there.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-11-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts

Cartier for design, Rolex and Patek for resale, Brietling and Tag Carrera for tech looking, and Richard Mille if you happen to have $100k+ to spend. Rolex common and plenty of used and grey market, Tag good price point but large volume. Remember mechanical watches don't keep the best time, Timex more accurate, but must appreciate the complexity and the fact they are servicable for ever. Chevy Sonic versus Ferrari!

SinF (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Jorge Schauer Sport Limited if you want to spend the money. Should go well with the car although it's Teutonic.

Quick Reply: OT: Watch advise