F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint and Leather Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Why would you apply film over top of any nano coat? I understand it to be the opposite i.e paint correction (as required)-> film -> coating. Otherwise, only parts of the overall exterior finish will have the nano shine and repelling properties.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by RoonieQ
Why would you apply film over top of any nano coat? I understand it to be the opposite i.e paint correction (as required)-> film -> coating. Otherwise, only parts of the overall exterior finish will have the nano shine and repelling properties.
1. Unless you have the nano-coat on the entirety of the paint surface, the chemicals in the film adhesive can attack the paint. 2) the nano-coat is a very hard material. Applying it over the top of a very flexible surface (such as the film) leaves it with an unstable base, and the coat will micro-fracture and haze over time.

The only argument for not applying the film over the nano-coat is that the film will peel from the surface too easily. That is only an issue if the film is not applied properly, and a quality that is desirable when it comes time to replace the film in several years.
Achieving the "nano-shine" on the film can be accomplished with a <5 minute application of a spray polish after each wash.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
If this finish is so good, why manufacturers are not applying it at the factory (volume and process discounts driving price down) and then pushing this as a breakthrough in paint technology via marketing?

I am highly skeptical of these products because of that.

My detailing guy applies multi-stage hard wax every spring. It lasts until the next year. It costs me way less than these per year. It looks and works as good.
What is a multi-stage hard wax?

Last edited by jaguny; 04-07-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
1. Unless you have the nano-coat on the entirety of the paint surface, the chemicals in the film adhesive can attack the paint. 2) the nano-coat is a very hard material. Applying it over the top of a very flexible surface (such as the film) leaves it with an unstable base, and the coat will micro-fracture and haze over time.

The only argument for not applying the film over the nano-coat is that the film will peel from the surface too easily. That is only an issue if the film is not applied properly, and a quality that is desirable when it comes time to replace the film in several years.
Achieving the "nano-shine" on the film can be accomplished with a <5 minute application of a spray polish after each wash.

1- I've never heard of PPF damaging paint. Any I've used, when removed/replaced, reveal paint that looked as new. Certainly with age, film and film adhesive can be hard to remove. But the underlying paint finish isn't impaired.

2-Everything I have read and had recommended by professional installers is opposite to this. All have said that it is a common practice to apply a ceramic coating on top of PPF in order to create a hydrophobic surface that is easier to clean and maintain. This way you still get the impact protection from the film, while also receiving the easy maintenance and environmental protection that comes with a coating. None have mentioned your micro-fracture issues. Do you have a reference to that issue or specific product used?

3- Film not sticking to a ceramic nano coating I think is less about improper installation and more about the inability to bond effectively to the slick nano-surface.

I'm planning to investigate more with PPF and nano-coating pros on the weekend and will inquire on these points. I appreciate your point of view.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

1- I've never heard of PPF damaging paint. Any I've used, when removed/replaced, reveal paint that looked as new. Certainly with age, film and film adhesive can be hard to remove. But the underlying paint finish isn't impaired.

2-Everything I have read and had recommended by professional installers is opposite to this. All have said that it is a common practice to apply a ceramic coating on top of PPF in order to create a hydrophobic surface that is easier to clean and maintain. This way you still get the impact protection from the film, while also receiving the easy maintenance and environmental protection that comes with a coating. None have mentioned your micro-fracture issues. Do you have a reference to that issue or specific product used?

3- Film not sticking to a ceramic nano coating I think is less about improper installation and more about the inability to bond effectively to the slick nano-surface.

I'm planning to investigate more with PPF and nano-coating pros on the weekend and will inquire on these points. I appreciate your point of view.
this is one of those controversies that may have no right answer. The professionals will disagree on this matter just as much is the laypeople. At the end of the day the choice will depend on what professional you trust most and are most comfortable with.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I have local detail guy coming out next week to give estimate for prep and cert. C-Quartz app. for me. He also has app. for interior and wheels/tires. Early est is about $400 for ext. only if I remember. Will see how close this is when final est. is in. He says this will be for about 2 yrs. and he has wax for touch up, or recommends any pure wax with no additives, esp. any with abrasives. I am still trying to decide what to use on interior.

The following users liked this post:
frank james (04-09-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

If you think about the purpose of the nano coating in the first place, it is to allow the particles to migrate into and fill the tiny microscopic crevices in the paint. There is no way a film could do this. After film nano coating would then just sit on top of any film, flex with the film maybe add a little shine to the film, but eventually flake off as it expands and contracts due to temp variations.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:04 PM

What's your before PPF argument/opinion?

Old 04-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts
Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

My nano coating was applied over the film. Not that you should be left with any bubbles if properly installed, but I believe the nano over the film does not allow bubbles to dissipate easily. (Mine was not well done). Bubbles were supposed to dissipate I believe the nano essentially seals the film surface, whether right or wrong, I don't know. I believe this likely reduces the flexibility of the film in some way. Only time will tell.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:05 AM

Interesting point. To what parts of your car did you have PPF applied?

Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

I've yet to see a single example of a modern product like XPel Ultimate or SunTek causing any problems upon removal. On the other hand, putting a ceramic coating on top of the film provides added gloss, easy tar removal, and superb water shedding properties without the need for waxing. To cover that with paint protection film is to nullify most of the reasons you would apply ceramic in the first place.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
I've yet to see a single example of a modern product like XPel Ultimate or SunTek causing any problems upon removal. On the other hand, putting a ceramic coating on top of the film provides added gloss, easy tar removal, and superb water shedding properties without the need for waxing. To cover that with paint protection film is to nullify most of the reasons you would apply ceramic in the first place.
Apparently, this discussion fits into the same category as oil change interval and nitrogen filled tires. People can talk until they're blue in the face and it won't change any minds. Tuning the V6 fit that same category until a lack of exploding F-Types quieted that conversation.

Jagged Wire (08-11-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Look into 22ple for the coating as well. Unbelievable protection and comes in 3 different formulations depending on the primary storage environment. I am really impressed with it!

Old 04-11-2017, 02:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just ordered 9h --- amazon prime ftw

Old 04-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
... I am still trying to decide what to use on interior.
Same. In the past, I never liked to use any product on the interior on my cars and would only use a lightly damp towel but I feel that the interior in this car scuffs easily. I just want to use something to help protect from or minimize the scuffs!

Old 04-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Same. In the past, I never liked to use any product on the interior on my cars and would only use a lightly damp towel but I feel that the interior in this car scuffs easily. I just want to use something to help protect from or minimize the scuffs!
Pinnacle Leather Conditioner is rich in lanolin and natural oils. Pinnacle Leather Conditioner contains no petroleum distillates and will not dry the

I've been using this stuff and think it works great!

Old 04-12-2017, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting point. To what parts of your car did you have PPF applied?
Wasn't sure if your question was directed at me? Regardless, film was applied to full hood, all front pieces, fenders, mirrors, side skirts and below does, rear quarters. Areas with and without film were coated with cquartz U.K. (Cold weather formula).

RoonieQ (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Wasn't sure if your question was directed at me? Regardless, film was applied to full hood, all front pieces, fenders, mirrors, side skirts and below does, rear quarters. Areas with and without film were coated with cquartz U.K. (Cold weather formula).
Yes, and much appreciated jaguny.

I've opted for basically the same, not full rear quarter though, rather just the strip along rear wheel arch plus lower area behind rear wheel itself, plus the trunk lid (spoiler) and A-pillars. I intend to then follow-up with Ceramic Pro on all exterior surfaces (9H on full exterior, glass, wheels and calipers). Should be very well protected and easy to maintain thereafter. I'm leaving the interior alone and will detail it and maintain the leather myself without any leather coatings.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FR500GT
From what I know and have read, just using water on leather is the worst thing you can do. Adding lanolin occasionally is necessary to keep it from drying out. For my " around town car" I have an '89 Cadillac Allante' that was washed once a month and likely wiped down with wet cloth on the leather interior by the elderly owners. I have been soaking the leather in conditioner for 2 weeks to soften the leather enough to keep it from cracking when I drive. Great driver, just not cared for for 112,000 miles.