F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint or powdercoat wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Paint or powdercoat wheels

Hey Folks, as I narrow down my search for an R. If I were to find one with standard Gyrodyne wheels, I would probably want the black. I'm guessing powdercoat would be better than painting, but I just wanted to hear some opinions on the matter. I'm not sure how much it would cost to do, but that will factor into the price. If it costs quite a bit, then I will continue to search for one that matches my specs better. Just going to take longer to find.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 679 Likes on 489 Posts

Powder coating, which is a backed on process, if far harder than paint and far better for wheels which get a ton of abuse. The hassle is getting it done. I bought two spare (same kind) wheels and then did one side at a time. I think it cost me about $200 a wheel but it has been a while. But now if I get curb rash, I just swap out the damaged wheel and have it re-coated. A ton cheaper then getting a new wheel. Since I've done this, knock on wood, haven't hit a curb...

Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Powder coat. A good shop will do this for $500 which includes the tire work.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
Powder coating, which is a backed on process, if far harder than paint and far better for wheels which get a ton of abuse. The hassle is getting it done. I bought two spare (same kind) wheels and then did one side at a time. I think it cost me about $200 a wheel but it has been a while. But now if I get curb rash, I just swap out the damaged wheel and have it re-coated. A ton cheaper then getting a new wheel. Since I've done this, knock on wood, haven't hit a curb...
I figured it would be better. I'll have to look around to find somebody here in Austin to do the work.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
Powder coat. A good shop will do this for $500 which includes the tire work.
Ok, now that's not a bad price. It's something I'll be looking into if I don't get the rims I want, so we'll see how the search goes.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Cost me $450 for powdercoating 20" Gyrodynes, however I did pull off the tires first.

The process is a pain, but worth it. Car on jackstands while you run all over and then wait a week for the powercoat to be done.

Mine still looks as new after six months. I cringe when parallel parking though. Repairing or touching up a powdercoated wheel is probably as simple as any other repair though.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 08-09-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 392 Likes on 208 Posts

I did the same thing. I got the standard silver Gyrodynes. Had them powdercoated glossy black.

Cost me $75/wheel. Turn around was 2 days. 3 years, 4 sets of tires and two F-TYPEs later they still look good as the day I picked them up from the powdercoater.

If you're super paranoid like me, request a "low temperature bake". The high heat often used on to bake the powdercoat can affect the metallurgy of certain wheels causing them to get weak.