F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Playlists on the touch screen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Playlists on the touch screen?

Is it possible to see playlists on the touch screen?

I have tried iPhone with Bluetooth connection as well as iPod and iPod Touch through the Aux and cannot get playlists to display. They will display on the Apple device, but not on the touch screen.

Is this the way it has to be?

Old 05-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

I have a USB stick with almost 1000 songs on it. I have yet to try a playlist. I just hit random "all" and who knows what the hell song I'll hear next. IF you figure out playlists, let me know. I can certainly use them!

Old 05-02-2015, 05:22 PM

That's why I have playlists. It depends what sort of mood I'm in. If I wanted random songs, I'll just listen to the radio!

Don't ya just love ur new car!

Old 05-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Was at the local Cars and Coffee today. There were quite a few Ferrari, Lamborghini, a few McLaren, LOTS of Porsches, Corvettes, Mustangs, and one beautiful F-Type getting a LOT of attention. I love cars in general, but around here, the F-Type is actually more rare than all the others I mentioned. Of course, the P1 and the 918 got the most attention of all.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes you can get playlists on the screen. Not in Bluetooth though. What works for me is to pair the I-phone with Bluetooth, the plug it in with the USB cable and push cancel when it appears on the screen. This is the only sequence that works for this functionality on my F-Type.

You may also see both an iPod and an iPhone displayed under "my music" on the navigation screen. If that happens, select whichever one is connected via the USB cable.

Last edited by Nookieman; 05-02-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
Yes you can get playlists on the screen. Not in Bluetooth though. What works for me is to pair the I-phone with Bluetooth, the plug it in with the USB cable and push cancel when it appears on the screen. This is the only sequence that works for this functionality on my F-Type.

You may also see both an iPod and an iPhone displayed under "my music" on the navigation screen. If that happens, select whichever one is connected via the USB cable.
I got it to work, but don't ask me to repeat it right now. The playlists are accessed through a Browse button.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman

What if I just plug in a USB stick with a bazillion songs? Can I create a playlist from the touchscreen? Can I use windows media player to create a playlist and save it on the USB stick? (I don't own Apple products, I'm a Samsung fanboy...)

Old 05-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
What if I just plug in a USB stick with a bazillion songs? Can I create a playlist from the touchscreen? Can I use windows media player to create a playlist and save it on the USB stick? (I don't own Apple products, I'm a Samsung fanboy...)
Playlists are a part of the smartphone software apps. Thumb drives (USB sticks) are just storage devices for the song files and have no processing capacity. The Meridian relies on your smartphone (or mp3 player) to provide the playlist app and processing. I had heard that the Jag system supported both Apple and Android, so you should be able to connect your Samsung with a USB cable and get your playlist to load up.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-03-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Playlists are a part of the smartphone software apps. Thumb drives (USB sticks) are just storage devices for the song files and have no processing capacity. The Meridian relies on your smartphone (or mp3 player) to provide the playlist app and processing. I had heard that the Jag system supported both Apple and Android, so you should be able to connect your Samsung with a USB cable and get your playlist to load up.
I definitely can connect the Samsung Galaxy to the USB and use my play lists there. What I prefer to do however, is just keep my phone in my pocket, not worry about cords and cables, and simply plug a USB thumb drive in the USB slot.

I guess I cant have everything I want, but I suppose I could find my saved playlist file, move it to the thumbdrive, and see if the F-Type recognizes it.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I definitely can connect the Samsung Galaxy to the USB and use my play lists there. What I prefer to do however, is just keep my phone in my pocket, not worry about cords and cables, and simply plug a USB thumb drive in the USB slot.

I guess I cant have everything I want, but I suppose I could find my saved playlist file, move it to the thumbdrive, and see if the F-Type recognizes it.
Please let us know if that works. That would be my preferred playback mode as well. On my Mini, the USB port is in the glove box, so I haven't seen my iPod in 10 years. Plugging it into the console means you have to unplug and hide it when you park.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

A workaround for playlists on a USB stick... create some folders on the stick and copy songs into each "playlist" folder. It will waste some space if you want the same songs loose or in multiple folders, but it gets the job done.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel
A workaround for playlists on a USB stick... create some folders on the stick and copy songs into each "playlist" folder. It will waste some space if you want the same songs loose or in multiple folders, but it gets the job done.
This is exactly what I was about to do. I just confirmed that the audio system won't even display a "playlist file" saved to a USB stick.

On that note, does anyone know what the largest USB stick the system will recognize? I think I read somewhere that the file system had to be a FAT format...

Old 05-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

I can confirm the USB drive can read up to 64GB, formatted as FAT32.
I'll test a 128GB next time I rotate my data backups at the bank.
As a side note, it will also play videos off of the USB.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
I got it to work, but don't ask me to repeat it right now. The playlists are accessed through a Browse button.

Yup. It is a bit fiddly.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I connected my old school 80gb iPod that has 8,000 songs on it - I just leave it plugged in the console. Playlist access on touch screen works just fine.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Please let us know if that works. That would be my preferred playback mode as well. On my Mini, the USB port is in the glove box, so I haven't seen my iPod in 10 years. Plugging it into the console means you have to unplug and hide it when you park.
Lance, the USB port is inside the compartment on the center console, which also serves as an armrest when closed. It you can plug it in there and leave your device inside totally hidden.

However, I use Bluetooth streaming from my iPhone exclusively.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Was there one or two USB's in the center console? The 2016's have two.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Lance, the USB port is inside the compartment on the center console, which also serves as an armrest when closed. It you can plug it in there and leave your device inside totally hidden.
Perfect. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Was there one or two USB's in the center console? The 2016's have two.
Just one on the '14 base/380w Meridian. But, there's also an aux plug that looks like an earphone jack.

I've never used either, because I only Bluetooth stream. Actually, more often than not, the system is off because I love hearing the exhaust note.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I can confirm the USB drive can read up to 64GB, formatted as FAT32.
I'll test a 128GB next time I rotate my data backups at the bank.
As a side note, it will also play videos off of the USB.
Bout to buy a memory stick. Has anyone successfully tested and is using an 128gb?

I dont compress my music and need 128gb to mirror my iPhone library.

Quick Reply: Playlists on the touch screen?