F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre and post intercooler temps

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 04:36 PM
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Pre and post intercooler temps

Has anyone logged these? Trying to get a good comparison.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:11 AM
Received 75 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is a plot of a 3rd gear WOT pull I did recently. Top image is with the Legend overlay, bottom is the same plot but without the legend so you can see the full data. The temps all correspond to the Y-axis labels on the right side of the graph.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are other channels you are looking for.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead01
Here is a plot of a 3rd gear WOT pull I did recently. Top image is with the Legend overlay, bottom is the same plot but without the legend so you can see the full data. The temps all correspond to the Y-axis labels on the right side of the graph.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are other channels you are looking for.
Excellent thank you!

Old 01-20-2023, 08:30 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

If I am reading that correctly, that's quite poor, only a drop from 80c to 60c. A reasonable discharge temp should be no more than 120°F or 48°C

Old 01-20-2023, 08:52 AM

Does anyone have a diagram to identify where the actual sensors are located in the car for these data channels? Some of the channel names seem intuitive, while others are not. A decoder ring to match channel names with sensor locations would be helpful.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead01
Does anyone have a diagram to identify where the actual sensors are located in the car for these data channels? Some of the channel names seem intuitive, while others are not. A decoder ring to match channel names with sensor locations would be helpful.
You thinking the intercooler intake air temp channel is your post IC sensor? That's how I took it, because what other temp would be that cool? That would put you inline with my results where there's about 45c diff between the two.

Compared to my logs you have an extra temp channel. I have iat, which was 18 on the run I'm looking at. Charged air iat which hit 95c, and intercooler iat which was 45c. Those are clearly pre and post IC.

Edit:. I was wrong, I just found the other temp channel, the one your log shows as post IC. It's labeled as Boost Temp Raw in the VAP software and like yours, it's about 10 deg cooler than the charged air iat. I'm sure you just need to swap the labels for that channel and the intercooler intake air temp channel and you'll be good to go.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 01-20-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:23 PM

My logs show 4 inlet related temperature channels:
  • Boost Temp Raw - Boost Air Temperature Raw Physical Value*Manifold Top Sensor - Pre Intercooler*
  • Charged IAT - Air ChargeTemperature - Post Charger
  • Intake air temperature - Intake air temperature
  • Intercooler IAT - Intercooler Intake Air Temperature
These are the channels plotted in the images above. Intake air temperature is very close to ambient temperature, so that should be the initial inlet temp (pre-supercharger). I'm not sure where the other three measurements are located in the system. I can see having pre- and post-intercooler temps, but not sure where a third temp would be measured. Any insight is appreciated.