F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Headers Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Would be interesting to see if something like that would work. I wouldn't mind developing parts for all the Jags. Ultimately this is my plan, but obviously a slow plan with investment cost of developing each part.
If the interest is out there for parts I don't mind continuing development and engineering proper parts. I'm hoping I can get access to a Jaguar dealer's takeoff parts or negotiate a loaner part deal where I can scan the needed parts for base dims, then engineer from there.
Certainly excited to get these wrapped up. I'm honestly really intrigued to design a set of headers for the 6 Cylinder, as this is my forte with Fords in the past.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Update on the headers. Only thing left to make is the EGR mount, then its time to fit-up.
Once this setup is complete, I'll move on to the 5L XKR/F-Type setups.

Cat system replacements, and mid-pipe fixtures are in process for factory upgrade replacements as well.

Eye candy always helps, so I have attached some pics. The merge collectors are designed for 500-600 hp. I'll have alternate designs for varied power levels for N/A or high boost apps.
The primaries are 1.75" that will be flared to fit the oblong port size for a smooth transition. I'm still debating on stepping a little. First test is a 4-1 design then I'll fab a Tri-Y for comparison. We will notice more benefit with the Tri-Y on a N/a.

I'm setup to log data and should have everything plumbed in tonight or tomorrow. I'm running a NTK wide range wideband, logging the boost with a 3bar MAP and the intake vacuum with a 1Bar plumbing into the throttle split entry. I'll be able to log RPM, both MAPS, A/F, and MAF volts. I have a temperature daq with EGT and CHT sensor I will plumb in with the new headers.

Take a look a the interior side of these collectors. Nicely blended and turned out great.

-Derek Fricke

Attached Thumbnails Proper Headers Anyone?-img_1056.jpg   Proper Headers Anyone?-img_1060.jpg   Proper Headers Anyone?-img_1064.jpg   Proper Headers Anyone?-img_1065.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by FrickenJag:
Dremorg (07-13-2015), enderle (06-24-2015), Foosh (06-24-2015), MagnumPI (06-24-2015), Optimus812 (06-24-2015), Orkney (06-24-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the update. Did you ever find an F-type V8 to test fit? If not, I might be willing but am not sure if I ever got your location?

The following users liked this post:
FrickenJag (06-26-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Bravo! I think proper header design just haven't been put to bed yet for Jag V8 engines. It would be nice to have a design that you could take a part while testing (without welding) to see which produces the best flow and power.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Exhaust flow always interested me. I've always tried odd designs on my motorcycles and cars to see how "new" ideas worked. Most of the time I've found they do.

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Update on the headers. Only thing left to make is the EGR mount, then its time to fit-up.

Cat system replacements, and mid-pipe fixtures are in process for factory upgrade replacements as well.

Eye candy always helps, so I have attached some pics. The merge collectors are designed for 500-600 hp. I'll have alternate designs for varied power levels for N/A or high boost apps.
The primaries are 1.75" that will be flared to fit the oblong port size for a smooth transition. I'm still debating on stepping a little. First test is a 4-1 design then I'll fab a Tri-Y for comparison. We will notice more benefit with the Tri-Y on a N/a.

I'm setup to log data and should have everything plumbed in tonight or tomorrow. I'm running a NTK wide range wideband, logging the boost with a 3bar MAP and the intake vacuum with a 1Bar plumbing into the throttle split entry. I'll be able to log RPM, both MAPS, A/F, and MAF volts. I have a temperature daq with EGT and CHT sensor I will plumb in with the new headers.

Take a look a the interior side of these collectors. Nicely blended and turned out great.

-Derek Fricke

FrickenJag (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nookieman
Thanks for the update. Did you ever find an F-type V8 to test fit? If not, I might be willing but am not sure if I ever got your location?
Located in Charlotte, NC Nookie. I haven't tracked down a V8 yet. I'll have these fitting up by next weekend. Then I can start on the 5.0L setups and V6's.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GGabriel
Bravo! I think proper header design just haven't been put to bed yet for Jag V8 engines. It would be nice to have a design that you could take a part while testing (without welding) to see which produces the best flow and power.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Exhaust flow always interested me. I've always tried odd designs on my motorcycles and cars to see how "new" ideas worked. Most of the time I've found they do.

That's exactly what I will produce with this setup Gabriel. I plan for all the setups to have interchangeable collector designs. These will incorporate Collector tabs for unbolting. In this manner one can fine tune the collector throat diameter if there is another add-on has substantial change to power level i.e supercharger.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 AM

-Derek Fricke

Old 07-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Exactly Gabriel. The collectors on this set and future sets that will be produced will allow for the end user to customize them based upon where their engine performs best. These are tailored for this specific application with the 4.2. No stamped/formed collectors here. I'm making sure everything is of high quality and something I (As an engineer) would want on my cars.

Possibly the best part about these is Kenny Thompson, whom built the "Bundle of snakes" Lemans GT40 setups is aiding in the build. Using every resource I have to make sure they are Fricken nice

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Panthro (10-05-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks again for your efforts. I want to keep the car, but lack of aftermarket support is an issue that could cause me to go elsewhere next time.

Hoping to have typical choices including headers, cats, gear ratio changes and the like available within the next five years.

Fairly sure most of this will come in time,assuming the cars are around long enough to get a fair number of them out there.

FrickenJag (07-15-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 11:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking forward to f type design.

FrickenJag (07-19-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Bump for update request

FrickenJag (10-12-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 AM

(Possibly the best part about these is Kenny Thompson, whom built the "Bundle of snakes" Lemans GT40 setups is aiding in the design.)

What a great connection to have! I wonder if he really knows how many people he ignited a passion of motorcars, who saw a photo of a GT40 with an open rear exposing the 'Bundle O Snakes' or lucky enough to see it in person

I was really young and first saw the GT40's when my mother and I dropped off my father at the Ford plant in Dearborn (whenever she needed the car for something).

One time there were 3 GT's by the building he worked at, and they instantly stuck out from any other car I've ever seen. The first thought was 'what happened to the roof' as they were so low and wide they looked squashed. Almost like a car that rolled over.

The "normal" cars of that time were so much higher that I could look though the plexiglass and see the weird tubes (I was a kid). It looked so bizarre and almost threatening, like thick white snakes that were moving.

Once we got out and my dad walked us around one when we picked him up. He would call the guards at the different gates to let us in, but I don't think we were supposed to be there, or be walking around one of the secret cars....

I have vague memories of the strange cars that were around that building but the squashed ones with the scary looking white snakes I never forgot.

You have to go back in time and remember how large the cars were then to understand how much a GT40 (or 3 in a row) stood out.

Like the image just burned into me. I think it's the reason I like headers so much. Before owning Jag's, it was always the first mod I did on everything I've owned.

His metal artwork on the GT was always the Holy Grail of header design.

If my Avenger GT kitcar had a midship V8 with his style of exhaust instead of the rear mounted flat 6, I'd probably still have (sold it for money for a wedding ring).

To have Mr.Thompson giving you his imput for your header design is priceless.

The following 3 users liked this post by GGabriel:
FrickenJag (10-12-2015), ghatter (10-14-2015), Panthro (11-06-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
On the contrary, I bet you a nickle it gets even louder... I've never had a car with headers that didn't increase in volume... (but I could be wrong...)

nor have I. adding headers to my Porsche 930 turbo was quite an eye opener. not only did the performance benefit hugely (I know this is a different circumstance than what is contemplated on the F) but the sound went to an other level of lovely.

I imagine the already great sounding F would really have the nastiness unlocked!!

FrickenJag (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry for the delay guys. I was working on the High flow cat fixtures while Kenny has been wrapping up a few projects. I'm going to follow back up with him today and see if I can get the car squeezed into his schedule. Being retired now, he picks and chooses really cool projects to work on. Last I checked he was working on a old Maserati prototype. Hopefully I can get the car to him shortly.

Great story Gabriel. I too have always loved the design of the GT40, and the iconic headers along with his craftsmanship is tough to beat. I want to make sure this first design was fabricated well. Hence why I've waited on Kenny to have his hands on them. No matter the engineering knowledge I've put behind the design, there are always tricks a well experienced designer and fabricator can always teach you.

I'll give you guys a status update once I speak to him.

On an additional note. Carbon fiber plugs for molds are being tooled, I will have the engine panels done shortly.
Fixtures for XKR and F-type highflow cats are near complete as well. I'll have the first production sample of the XKR done this week.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Last edited by FrickenJag; 10-12-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ferraripete

I imagine the already great sounding F would really have the nastiness unlocked!!
That is what I'm thinking Pete. With this well designed header I'll be putting together for the car, we may give certainty to the F-type being the best sounding car in the world.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 10-12-2015, 01:28 PM

are you speaking of Kenny Thompson???

Old 10-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ferraripete
are you speaking of Kenny Thompson???
Yes sir, Pete. The same guy that built these beauties below. I figured you can't get much better than that. His shop is filled with vehicle magic and great build stories.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:07 PM

ok. then you clearly know of Kenny's pedigree!!! tremendous choice to engage Kenny in this project. I would say these headers will qualify for the "very best of breed status" and the quality will be second to none...period!!!

Kenny could very well be one of the best fabricators left on the planet from the glory days of real racing. his gt-40 history (particularly the J) is without match.

I see you are located in the charlotte area. we should get together at some point!!!!

best,

Peter

Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by GGabriel
(Possibly the best part about these is Kenny Thompson, whom built the "Bundle of snakes" Lemans GT40 setups is aiding in the design.)

What a great connection to have! I wonder if he really knows how many people he ignited a passion of motorcars, who saw a photo of a GT40 with an open rear exposing the 'Bundle O Snakes' or lucky enough to see it in person

I was really young and first saw the GT40's when my mother and I dropped off my father at the Ford plant in Dearborn (whenever she needed the car for something).

One time there were 3 GT's by the building he worked at, and they instantly stuck out from any other car I've ever seen. The first thought was 'what happened to the roof' as they were so low and wide they looked squashed. Almost like a car that rolled over.

The "normal" cars of that time were so much higher that I could look though the plexiglass and see the weird tubes (I was a kid). It looked so bizarre and almost threatening, like thick white snakes that were moving.

Once we got out and my dad walked us around one when we picked him up. He would call the guards at the different gates to let us in, but I don't think we were supposed to be there, or be walking around one of the secret cars....

I have vague memories of the strange cars that were around that building but the squashed ones with the scary looking white snakes I never forgot.

You have to go back in time and remember how large the cars were then to understand how much a GT40 (or 3 in a row) stood out.

Like the image just burned into me. I think it's the reason I like headers so much. Before owning Jag's, it was always the first mod I did on everything I've owned.

His metal artwork on the GT was always the Holy Grail of header design.

If my Avenger GT kitcar had a midship V8 with his style of exhaust instead of the rear mounted flat 6, I'd probably still have (sold it for money for a wedding ring).

To have Mr.Thompson giving you his imput for your header design is priceless.

I had not seen this post...clearly gabe knows of Kenny's history!!!! to me, this project and product has just gone to another level of seriousness and legitimacy!!!!! very, very cool!!!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

That is what I'm thinking Pete. With this well designed header I'll be putting together for the car, we may give certainty to the F-type being the best sounding car in the world.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
What are the chances these will fit on an XFR?

Quick Reply: Proper Headers Anyone?