Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley only

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 06:22 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Another example the SVR at 575PS, there is a ring taxi and I know the owner (Dale Lomas) and he has around 14,000 miles which are pure track miles on his SVR and the only issue was a cracked radiator, no doubt from a stone from track use, zero engine, trans or SC issues and he drives it flat out all the time.
My intention is to have a civil debate, hope you will consider my response to your point in this manner.

I agree with your opinion that track use, particularly frequent and even exclusive track use will stress an engine and other parts of the F Type, or any car.

I am aware that we can all sometimes use exaggeration to make a point.

My point is 'ring raxi duty even in a skilled driver's hands constitutes high loading,but isn't however anywhere even remotely close to "flat out all the time"
A lap might be 8:40 due to traffic and a good proportion of that time will either braking or on less than full throttle.

My definition of flat out use would be reserved for engine dyno use at full load for significant time, not brief flat out bursts spread out over 8 minute laps with recovey time after each lap.
A closer comparison with flat out use might be endurance race such as Le Mans 24 hour.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
No that is not how a dyno works. The work being done is accelerating the dyno using wheels. Work is work.
Agreed and power and work aren't the same.
Power is rate of doing work.

Usual easy to understand explanation is
a lower powered engine (with appropriate gearing - which multiplies engine torque) will lift a heavy weight to a certain height.

An engine with more power will lift the same weight to the same height in a shorter time

Old 07-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Is this statement not an oversimplification ?

Peak cylinder pressure whether calculated peak bmep or peak imep will correspond to peak torque however that isn't the only contributing factor to 'engine stress. My understanding is engine rpm will obviously be related to piston speed and more importantly piston / reciprocating component acceleration which can be a significant contributing factor of 'engine stress'
Yes indeed it was an oversimplification, to make a point. He had previously referenced "plastic deformation" of the internals occurring over time; which is insane to think you could have any plastic deformation and not immediately lose and engine, but that's neither here nor there... Since we aren't discussing raising the RPM of the engine, this kind of damage due to piston speed is not really relevant for the minor boost changes made in a VAP tune or similar. Thought it was best to not over-complicate the discussion. When all is said and done, anything you do to a car that the OEM hasn't planned for is a risk in itself; engines are extremely complex and engineers take into consideration things as small as strain put on the crankshaft by serpentine belt tension that could be negatively effected by a pulley size change. There is no 100% safe choice, as much as the OP would like to have you believe.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:58 AM
V8S
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed and power and work aren't the same.
Power is rate of doing work.

Usual easy to understand explanation is
a lower powered engine (with appropriate gearing - which multiplies engine torque) will lift a heavy weight to a certain height.

An engine with more power will lift the same weight to the same height in a shorter time
Correct. Which is why reducing throttle lag DOES increase power. Reducing time is equally important to increasing work in the Power equation.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:37 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a V8S with both pulleys, decat down pipes, and a VAP tune.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V8S
You still seem confounded and confused about what we are discussing.

You are the only one who is hooked on something like a sprintbooster increasing engine power to reduce time-to-distance. No one else has ever suggested such a ridiculous thing.

Perhaps you quoted my post by mistake ?

I have never stated the device increases power.
I think the device is most likely garbage and a scam. My opinion of the level of knowledge of fans or promoters of the device is similarly uncomplementary.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:56 PM
V8S
Banned

Perhaps you quoted my post by mistake ?

I have never stated the device increases power.
I think the device is most likely garbage and a scam. My opinion of the level of knowledge of fans or promoters of the device is similarly uncomplementary.
I'm completely opposite of you, I'm thrilled for the people and who said it completely transformed their car. Why would anyone wish ill on others?? Thousands of only-5-star Amazon reviews tell the story. Seller Central's rule is approx 500 similar product sales per written review. Makes me want to try one especially after VAP said they also very aggressively adjust the throttle map, but not in a user configurable way. Seems running adjustment with lots of +\- points and curve shapes would be essential to optimize the car exactly for you.

Back on topic... does anyone have a link to an upper pulley install video that shows actual pulley removal and installation? The popular RR/Jag Youtube video only removes the intake T to identify the pulley, it does not show actual on/off.

Second, got a link to the pulley remover you used? I have a lot of different sizes of pulley pullers, but I have read the job needs a non-standard puller to fit in the usable space.

Last edited by V8S; 07-28-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by V8S
Correct. Which is why reducing throttle lag DOES increase power. Reducing time is equally important to increasing work in the Power equation.
Except that there is ZERO throttle lag FROM THE PEDAL, (and I know from past threads this is the incorrect point you are trying to make), which is why the pedal boosters only work on perception, not actual performance.

I have data captures for throttle position sensor, from a few dozen vehicles to prove this. Do you actually need to see them or are you going to insist that there's "complex circuitry" in the hall effect sensor.

A throttle pedal that "has delay" as you suggest is a defective throttle pedal and would IMMEDIATELY be replaced by any technician working on the car.

Those gadgets reduce the electrical travel of the pedal, making it more or less touchy. Period. this is what makes the average person think the car is faster. They are 100% wrong about that. However that doesn't stop them from liking it. They can LIKE or THINK whatever they want, but it does not change reality, and I'll happily take their money from them selling these things, if they are so determined to LIKE it. LOL

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 07-28-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:36 PM
V8S
Banned

Except that there is ZERO throttle lag FROM THE PEDAL, (and I know from past threads this is the incorrect point you are trying to make), which is why the pedal boosters only work on perception, not actual performance.

I have data captures for throttle position sensor, from a few dozen vehicles to prove this. Do you actually need to see them or are you going to insist that there's "complex circuitry" in the hall effect sensor.

A throttle pedal that "has delay" as you suggest is a defective throttle pedal and would IMMEDIATELY be replaced by any technician working on the car.

Those gadgets reduce the electrical travel of the pedal, making it more or less touchy. Period. this is what makes the average person think the car is faster. They are 100% wrong about that. However that doesn't stop them from liking it. They can LIKE or THINK whatever they want, but it does not change reality, and I'll happily take their money from them selling these things, if they are so determined to LIKE it. LOL
There's lots of yelling in your reply, you should consider that makes you look insecure. Almost every posted 5-star review says they understood in advance all the points you made, so why repeat it over and over. The arguments for it are more sophisticated than what you've acknowledged processing, above. VAP fully endorses the feature by candidly admiting they also do it, and extremely aggressively.

Back on topic, has anyone here done their own upper pulley? Video? I don't mind doing it without a go by since it's straight forward minus working room, and so many popular cars do the same thing, but a car-specific video is always better.

Last edited by V8S; 07-28-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by V8S
VAP fully endorses the feature by candidly admiting they also do it, and extremely aggressively.
Right, they do it because people like it. It has nothing to do with making the car go faster.

I will continue to harp on this every time you hint at fake "throttle pedal delay" needing to be "fixed" by snakeoil, so if you're working for sprintbooster, submit your resignation.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 07-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by V8S
VAP fully endorses the feature by candidly admiting they also do it, and extremely aggressively.
That is because they are doing it in a place where it can actually make a difference, in the ECM maps.

Making the throttle pedal itself more sensitive will not. All the sprint booster can do is make the pedal appear to be pushed further down that it really is. The ECM will still over ride whatever input it gets using its inbuilt maps which is why it is the maps you have to change.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:47 PM
V8S
Banned

[QUOTE=15FTypeR;1937580]Right, they do it because people like it.] /QUOTE]
OMG now everyone likes it but you.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:50 PM
V8S
Banned

Any actual pulley adopters?

Old 07-28-2018, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=V8S;1937609]
Right, they do it because people like it.] /QUOTE]
OMG now everyone likes it but you.
I didn't say I don't like it genius.

I said it doesn't do what YOU claim it does. You really need to try actually reading what all the informed people are saying.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by V8S
Any actual pulley adopters?
adding a pulley without an accompanying tune results in very little benefit. A number of parameters are limited by the OEM tune that prevent full utilization of the additional boost available at the exit of the SC.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:13 PM
V8S
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd

adding a pulley without an accompanying tune results in very little benefit. A number of parameters are limited by the OEM tune that prevent full utilization of the additional boost available at the exit of the SC.
I realize that, thanks. I don't want more peak power or peak torque, I want to raise and flatten the torque curve. I'm also not interested in alpha-testing a tune that cannot post a legible before and after dyno, and does not warranty their end users.

Last edited by V8S; 07-28-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by V8S
I realize that, thanks. I don't want more peak power or peak torque, I want to raise and flatten the torque curve.
To know whether that will work, we would have to know if the stock tune will limit boost only at the peak or will it limit it everywhere. If the first, then changing just the pulley without any tune should achieve that goal, I would think.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:48 PM
V8S
Banned

To know whether that will work, we would have to know if the stock tune will limit boost only at the peak or will it limit it everywhere. If the first, then changing just the pulley without any tune should achieve that goal, I would think.
There are various pulley websites that say a SC pulley on the stock tune adds 30-40 ftlbs under peak. That's probably all the tune + pulley add under peak boost, anyway. I don't want more peak torque as it is destructive and rarely used. Regulated peak boost from a faster pulley is ideal IMO, it's the most usable power addition without design stress exceedance.

90% of the benefit, 0% of the risk, 10% of the cost.

Last edited by V8S; 07-28-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by V8S
There are various pulley websites that say a SC pulley on the stock tune adds 30-40 ftlbs under peak. That's probably all the tune + pulley add under peak boost, anyway. I don't want more peak torque as it is destructive and rarely used. Regulated peak boost from a faster pulley is ideal IMO, it's the most usable power addition without design stress exceedance.

You’re not worried that the additional boost without different mapping will cause the engine to run too lean? I would suggest testing for lambda on a dyno after the pulley installation even if you don’t change the OEM tune.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by V8S

I owned a ford lighting years ago that wouldn't necessarily agree with you. Pulley alone did increase performance, but mixture leaned out and detonation was audible. Today's computers may catch knock sooner, but what if it doesn't? Hope you have access to 93 octane.....

Quick Reply: Pulley only