F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racechip vs Racechip USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racechip vs Racechip USA

I'm looking at chipping my 340HP F Type. Has anyone compared the European Racechip to Racechip USA. The US customer service says it's the same. When I asked about the difference in the increased power between the EU Ultimate and the US Ultimate, they said it's because of the difference in fuel. When I asked about the difference in power between the 340HP and the 380HP (i thought they were the same engine, but with different tuning), I was told it's because of the tuning (?????) and because of the injectors. Is there a difference between EU and US?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Is there a reason you wouldn't choose one of the established tuners that are frequently mentioned on this forum - VAP or Eurotoys?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

You will end up with a grenaded engine if you use unknown tuners and responses you quoted do not instill confidence. The only people that stood by their tuning work and proven results with before and after dyno runs are VelocityAP.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasatty
they said it's because of the difference in fuel.
There is no difference in fuel.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm looking at chipping my 340HP F Type. Has anyone compared the European Racechip to Racechip USA. The US customer service says it's the same. When I asked about the difference in the increased power between the EU Ultimate and the US Ultimate, they said it's because of the difference in fuel. When I asked about the difference in power between the 340HP and the 380HP (i thought they were the same engine, but with different tuning), I was told it's because of the tuning (?????) and because of the injectors. Is there a difference between EU and US?
Do more research on that name & you will find that it doesn't matter if they are the same or not as many have reported problems with the company going by that/those names.

I agree with the guidance already provided here... If you are going to chip it, do it right. Besides the cost is basically the same from a reputable vendor like the sponsors here

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-08-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Just a tuning difference between 340 & 380.

Mike

Old 09-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Let us set you up with a proper tune. There are no differences between the two engines and with appropriate tuning the final output will be the same (416BHP in our case) regardless of the starting point.

If you use 'JAGFORUMS' coupon code at checkout you'll get a 10% discount.

Lots and lots of customers on this forum who are running our software.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
dallasatty (09-16-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

"Chipping" a car is never something you'd want to do on any car you care about. Any company who calls their product a "chip" is not worth your time.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:20 AM

Thank you everyone. I'll look at the VelocityAP. This is my first forum of any type - clearly a lot of knowledge here.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 AM

OK, I've read the string on the VelocityAP tune and my brain has seized. I am clearly over my head in the knowledge pool. Some, no most, of the values and terms used to describe the tuning are foreign to me. Stuart (or anyone else), I hope you won't mind if I ask a few questions. I see the BHP increase with the tune to 416, whether adding to the 340 or the 380. That makes sense to me - the only difference in the engines is the tuning. I'm not sure how to quantify the expected increase in torque. I believe the base 340 has 332 ft/lb. I don't know how this tune is physically done. Is it something I can do myself or do I need to take it somewhere and, if so, where? The Racechip (I know, I've gotten the message), can be installed and then uninstalled if I have to take it to the dealership for something. Is VelocityAP the same general type of physical design or should I expect something else? I won't ask if all trace is removed when I take it back to the dealership . . . I know better. Thanks very much everyone.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

OK, I've read the string on the VelocityAP tune and my brain has seized. I am clearly over my head in the knowledge pool. Some, no most, of the values and terms used to describe the tuning are foreign to me. Stuart (or anyone else), I hope you won't mind if I ask a few questions. I see the BHP increase with the tune to 416, whether adding to the 340 or the 380. That makes sense to me - the only difference in the engines is the tuning. I'm not sure how to quantify the expected increase in torque. I believe the base 340 has 332 ft/lb. I don't know how this tune is physically done. Is it something I can do myself or do I need to take it somewhere and, if so, where? The Racechip (I know, I've gotten the message), can be installed and then uninstalled if I have to take it to the dealership for something. Is VelocityAP the same general type of physical design or should I expect something else? I won't ask if all trace is removed when I take it back to the dealership . . . I know better. Thanks very much everyone.
The tune is installed with a handheld unit. It can be a little on the tricky side the first time around to make sense of it all, but after that changing tunes is a piece of cake. Initially you download the stock tune to the unit, load it to your computer and send it to VelocityAP, then they send you back the new tune with the changes and reverse the process. It can be installed/uninstalled but any time you tune these motors a background code is triggered that is permanent. The dealership can't always see it, but Jaguar corporate can, so there is a risk. I personally haven't had any issues getting engine related warranty work done, but there have been instances of warranty rejection after blown engines. It is a risk...

If you have any questions, throw Stuart an email. He's always happy to help:

Stuart@velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
dallasatty (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Yep, applying the tune is child's play, just a couple of trips from computer to car and back again. No physical part (such as a tuning chip) is installed, it's all done by connecting the hand-held device to the OBD2 port which then "flashes" the new tune to the ECU.
So much better in so many ways than wiring or plugging in a piggy-back chip.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
dallasatty (09-17-2017), hcardle (08-23-2023)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
"Chipping" a car is never something you'd want to do on any car you care about. Any company who calls their product a "chip" is not worth your time.

Good-bye Mr. Chips!

Old 09-25-2017, 12:36 PM

I got the racechip ultimate (US version) first. Plugged it in and found no difference. In fact, torque seemed to decrease. I sent it back and I'm working on getting an ECU tune with VelocityAP now. Should be done in a day and I'll report.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I got the racechip ultimate (US version) first. Plugged it in and found no difference. In fact, torque seemed to decrease. I sent it back and I'm working on getting an ECU tune with VelocityAP now. Should be done in a day and I'll report.
If you don't notice any difference in the VAP tuned car may I respectfully suggest you may be in the wrong car ;-) ?

Old 09-28-2017, 05:21 PM

OK, the VAP tune is installed. I've been sick since I installed it, so I haven't had it on the road yet. The only thing I can report is that it idles higher now. Looking forward to stretching its legs.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:56 PM

I just got to test the VAP tune. No disappointment here. There's a marked increase the power. The difference in torque makes all the difference for this car. So glad I sent back the RaceChip and let Stuart and Chris tune this thing. Thanks guys!

Old 10-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Thanks for the positive review and glad that you were so pleased with the results. We don't change the idle, but what you will find is that any time you re-flash the ECU it needs to re-learn a bunch of adaptations, throttle etc. So it will usually idle higher for a short while while it does this. Maybe 60-90 seconds at most.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 10-02-2017, 03:23 PM

You're right. It idled high for about 30 seconds, then settled down.