F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking advise on used F-type purchase: V8s or V6s

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. It seems there isn't much V6s owners with buyers remorse. Also V8s owners seem to just love the choice they made.
Both cars are just amazing machines, and I'm quite positive I'll be excited to have one whichever I go with. Like I said on original post, I am just looking for the better value between those two cars, but after reading everyone's comment, it kinda makes me think, they are both equally great value. (about 8-10k apart)

I do track quite often but this car won't be my track car.
My DD is a manual 455hp V8, so with F-type, I'll probably just go top-down cruising while enjoying the awesome sound from the tail pipe - then maybe V6s is the way to go.
Or.... I may need my weekend toy car to be at least little stronger/faster than my DD, so V8s is the right way......?

I guess there isn't right or wrong answer here. Car hunting is just part of the fun, especially when you are stuck with this crazy winter in Michigan and looking at these cool cars, right?

OK,,, back to cars.com / autotrader / ebay / cargurus.

Last edited by jaymsu; 01-18-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Ill give you my experience. Take it with a grain of salt, like all the other opinions. At the end of the day its your choice base on whichever makes sense for you.

I originally ordered a V6S manual, because I just could never imagine not owning a manual. I was upgrading from a Infiniti G35 6MT. I couldn't imagine a world where I was not pushing a manual gear box. So I ordered a V6S. A month later, I went to London to see the Castle Bromwich Jaguar Factory and rented a Jaguar V6S for a week and drove it from London to South Wales. It was an amazing experience. I was totally in love with every aspect of the car. It felt powerful, fun in twists, awesome for UKs B roads, a head turner. What more could I ask for? It was a heaven of a car and met all my expectations.

Then a few weeks later. I went to LA for a wedding, stayed 5 days. This time I decided to rent a F-Type V8R from Turo, just for sh*ts and giggles. Just wanted to see what I was missing. And boy I found out I was missing a lot. It is everything that is great about the V6S but amplified! Best analogy I can give is if someone agreed to give you $250K every year for the rest of your life. I mean most people would be extremely happy with this generous offer. Now let's say someone decided to give you $1M a year. The $250K was awesome but $1M is just over the top and mind blowing. Well that is what that V6S is to the V8R. It is ludicrous of a car, but it just blows you away. The V6S makes you happy and giddy, and the V8R just blows your mind. It unapologetically loud and brash, crazy fast, styled with a bit more flare, and takes your from having a fast car to feeling like you have a supercar that can hang with the 911s, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. It's a different ballgame in terms of power.

Additionally the paddle shifter are amazingly responsive. They almost always do exactly what I say. Shifts are blazing fast and beautiful orchestrated. I found myself not missing my manual at all, and when I hit that LA traffic I was super happy that I did not have shift gears every few seconds. The only place I missed the manual was in corners. I don't know why but it just feels good to have a shifter in your hand while you are taking a hard corner. Also if you mistakenly enter a corner in the wrong gear its hard to change gears with the F-Type paddle shifter during a turn. You have no limitation with a true manual.

Anyways, I ended up abandoning my order and picking up a V8R instead. No regrets. Both cars are amazing, you can't really go wrong with either choice. If you just want a fast, fun, beautiful car. The F-Type S is really all you need. If you want to play with supercars boys then you will need the V8. For me, the V8 made since, since I rally with exotic cars all the time.

Last edited by zmoothg; 01-18-2018 at 11:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaymsu (01-25-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Unless you are 19 years old, I don't see how you could be disappointed in any way with the performance or sound of the V6S. It is ferociously fast, sounds fantastic, it is beautifully finished if you have the full leather interior, and has drop-dead gorgeous looks. There is nowhere that you can legally use the full performance of the V6S, let alone the V8. Further, all comparative reports indicate that the V6S is a better balanced car. The V8 will give enhanced bragging rights but in the real world...
I’m 19 and I choose the V6S haha..

Old 01-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Best analogy I can give is if someone agreed to give you $250K every year for the rest of your life. I mean most people would be extremely happy with this generous offer. Now let's say someone decided to give you $1M a year. The $250K was awesome but $1M is just over the top and mind blowing.

Can we at least say 250k and 500k in your analogy?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it’s worth, I have a family member who is a high ranking JLR employee. So he drives both the R and V6s as his demo cars. This is why I have my V6S. Anyways, he claims that although the R is faster, the F-Type is really better off in V6S form. It’s just an opinion, but given that he can drive whatever he wants and still prefers the V6S, it says something.

The following 2 users liked this post by IlMostro796:
FType17 (01-19-2018), jaymsu (01-25-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

When I first started looking, the only F-Type available for a test drive in town was a brand new base model with 340 HP. I loved it; seemed reasonably fast with the 8-speed in manual mode, made some nice noises, and was drop dead gorgeous. Sign me up!

Then the dealer called me to come try out a new V6S and I got a lot more excited about the car! A lot more!

Finally drove a couple of low mileage V8S' and a new R; couldn't really tell much difference right off between the V8S and R but "holy cow" on either model! Like the base to the V6S, the experience was on another level. At that point, the better value for me was the almost new V8S. Of course, I am still running the Pirellis, so got a twitchy rear to contend with.

Having said all of that, I think the overall best value is the V6S. I am just an old school V8 guy so I was screwed trying to be smart about it anyway...lol.

Good luck on your decision and have fun!

The following 2 users liked this post by Desert Dawg:
DPelletier (01-24-2018), jaymsu (01-25-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default The difference?

Between smiling and laughing... in either case, it's all good!

jaymsu (01-25-2018)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Last edited by Miauuu; 08-29-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:27 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by IlMostro796
For what it’s worth, I have a family member who is a high ranking JLR employee. So he drives both the R and V6s as his demo cars. This is why I have my V6S. Anyways, he claims that although the R is faster, the F-Type is really better off in V6S form. It’s just an opinion, but given that he can drive whatever he wants and still prefers the V6S, it says something.
Likely due to the V6 being lighter over the front wheels creating a more balanced/tossable feel and less likely to understeer. It's also more fuel efficient and seems to be more reliable, albeit this is only based on the frequency with which I notice V8-related issues posted here and on the various Facetube enthusiast pages vs. V6-related posts. The exhaust setup is also personal preference and some find the centered V6 tips look more in line with the E-type predecessor. In the end, how much power can you really use without facing criminal speeding or reckless driving offenses? The V6S is all the car you really need, but I think we can all understand the appeal of the V8.

RickyJay52 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by IlMostro796
Your family member must, then, be Jeremy Clarkson. And I absolutely love these year-old (plus!) threads. Especially when a new or relatively new Forum member chimes in; even if it’s just “+1”. It obviously shows that people are reading these, in some cases, ancient, posts. Kudos to this Forum....

...although I came across a thread on AudiWorld the other day which was more than 10 years old...

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-30-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Your family member must, then, be Jeremy Clarkson. And I absolutely love these year-old (plus!) threads. Especially when a new or relatively new Forum member chimes in; even if it’s just “+1”. It obviously shows that people are reading these, in some cases, ancient, posts. Kudos to this Forum....

...although I came across a thread on AudiWorld the other day which was more than 10 years old...
Yes, but did you respond to it?

Old 08-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, but did you respond to it?
You’re Unhingd and I’m an idiot. And your point is?

Munky (01-16-2021)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

No one ever said "I wished I had gotten the smaller engine". Just saying......

The following 2 users liked this post by David Meier:
Chrissyg (09-01-2019), Paul_59 (08-31-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

You’re Unhingd and I’m an idiot. And your point is?
Just wondering if you succumbed to the urge to respond to a 10 year old post.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Just wondering if you succumbed to the urge to respond to a 10 year old post.
I think there were one or two replies on AudiWorld to that 10+ year-old post and after those..and I don’t know why...I did.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-31-2019 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Didn’t read U’s post properly
Old 08-31-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

I think there were one or two replies on AudiWorld to that 10+ year-old post and after those..and I don’t know why...I did.
That’s ok, then. Lol

Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
V8. RWD. Drama. Fun. Excitement.

2015Rs do have the best chance for holding value; many nice low mileage examples in the 60-64k range.

Pirellis suck, yes they do; however under the right circumstances they can also put a huge grin on your face.

There are huge opportunities across the board in the used market for a variety of F-Types.
I also have a 2015 R. With Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and proper wheel alignment, the car gets power to the floor without too much drama. The Pirelli tires were like driving on grease when putting power down. Love my 2015 R and all its RWD glory. Wouldn't trade it for a AWD.

(okay … 1 year old original post, but still relevant )

Last edited by 355rockit; 09-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.
xrix4096 (09-04-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default V8

I also got the R and love it!!!! For my 6 fix I have a 6 speed Cayman S. The best of both worlds! Drive them both and get what you prefer...... Seems simple to me.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Everyone will chime in about how whichever one they bought is the best! LOL

......that said, you can anticipate my answer! ;-)

Dave
Well, I've owned both. First I had a 2014 white convertible S for a year, but when my dealer called with a 2016 white convertible R a year ago, I jumped on it. I wouldn't trade the r for two S's. I much prefer the silver wheels too.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

It depends on what one is looking for. If your main goal is to have a lot of power to go supercar hunting, then V8 is the right choice. If you want to enjoy a weekend drive of cruising or hitting up the canyons, honestly the V6S is the much better balanced car. I have driven both on Georgia mountains, I was much happier with the balance, less understeer, and the ability to go through more gears on the V6S.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaaaggg:
Luc Lapierre (09-10-2019), Manual-S (09-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Seeking advise on used F-type purchase: V8s or V6s