F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some interior microlamps stay on even 14 hours after I locked the car!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Some interior microlamps stay on even 14 hours after I locked the car!?!?

Does any one know why this lights do not go to sleep after I lock the car?
I tried by remote key, or by keyless lock but they keep staying on. (!?!?)

This happened after I made a read diagnose at the dealership. But I understood this hours after they closed, in the weekend they are closed. I feel nervous leaving the car in the garage all night with these on.

Is there any similar experience? Did I touch or do something wrong?

I left the remote key far from the car to test if these interior microlamps go or stay on as I get near the vehicle... no result.

The dealer (by tel) said no reason to worry, but I kinda do not trust them so much - they said the sleep mode may need some hours, which I find weird, But I checked at the garage and it has been a day now and the lights are still on with a locked car.

????????????????

Does this harm the battery?

Last edited by JagAlb; 05-19-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by JagAlb
Does any one know why this lights do not go to sleep after I lock the car?
I tried by remote key, or by keyless lock but they keep staying on. (!?!?)

This happened after I made a read diagnose at the dealership. But I understood this hours after they closed, in the weekend they are closed. I feel nervous leaving the car in the garage all night with these on.

Is there any similar experience? Did I touch or do something wrong.

I left the remote key far from the car to test if these interior microlamps go or stay on as I get near the vehicle... no result.

The dealer (by tel) said no reason to worry, but I kinda do not trust them so much - they said the sleep mode may need some hours, which I find weird, But I checked at the garage and it has been a day now and the lights are still on with a locked car.

????????????????

Does this harm the battery?

Well known issue. On some cars the Battery Control Module goes wonky after the OBD port has been plugged into. If you don't want a dead battery, you have the reboot the module by disconnecting the battery for 10-30 seconds. Mine did that consistently after an OBD read until a recent update ("Enhancement Letter updates") was applied. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ht=enhancement

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-19-2017 at 05:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
JagAlb (05-19-2017), Suaro (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM

Thanks Unhingd!

Now is after 01 o'clock in my area and I have to fix then tomorrow, as you advice!

So the challenge now will be to have the dealer or anyone use the OBD fewest times possible...

By disconnecting the battery I hope there is no damage to other things (I haven't yet memorized any seat or mirrors so I hope no collateral issues will occur)

Up to now - this Forum is far more useful and prompt for solutions then any dealer! :-)

Old 05-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

FYI: If the dealer uses the OBD port, the issue doesn't happen.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

The master mechanic at my dealer advised that Jaguar mechanics should be using a certain setting on their equipment when they finish up any work that involves plugging into said port.. he said it resets the 'module'. He also said he realized that some mechanics are not doing this and leading to battery problems.
This was awhile ago and I believe a more robust fix might be available as er unhinged post.
Lawrence

Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jfranks
FYI: If the dealer uses the OBD port, the issue doesn't happen.
Only if the dealer uses the proper procedure and disconnects the battery while using an external power source during the OBD tap. I had to teach my service department. However, the update has resolved the problem for me and I don't pay attention anymore.

JagAlb, you will get a low battery warning tomorrow morning, but should have plenty of juice to fire it up. Just don't wait another day to reset it.

The following users liked this post:
JagAlb (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The DEQ (air/smog) here used my OBD and it didn't catch the cold.

Maybe something has to be plugged in for a while.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:39 PM

I have no tools now, as I moved them at the office for a job. Otherwise I would run to the garage at this hour.

Should I remove the red or the ground from the battery? Or both?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagAlb
I have no tools now, as I moved them at the office for a job. Otherwise I would run to the garage at this hour.

Should I remove the red or the ground from the battery? Or both?
Won't matter. I usually pull the positive lead.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Always remove the negative (black) post first. If you attempt to remove the positive post first and your tool touches any metal part of the car this will create a direct electrical short.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Always remove the negative (black) post first. If you attempt to remove the positive post first and your tool touches any metal part of the car this will create a direct electrical short.
Indeed, the safe way to disconnect a battery. Thanks, for reminding me.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 AM

OK Mikey, thnx! I think I had no issues this time disconnecting it (removing the red for +30 sec) and all came back fine. All interior lamps shut off now and all works OK. I will be careful to do it the safest way next time.

I made some km today and a short tour to the co-owner, my wife, that agreed with me that this F Type deserves the hours/time that we will dedicate... :-)

Meanwhile sharing first tests footage from the DDPai M6 Plus dash-cam. I am still searching how to post/share videos with the sports data display - which can be seen when playback in the smartphone screen. Busy days :-)

Last edited by JagAlb; 05-20-2017 at 11:14 AM.