Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific F-Type convertible trunk dimensions for luggage

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:18 PM
KvA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Specific F-Type convertible trunk dimensions for luggage

I'm sure this topic has been discussed over and over already and I apologize in advance if this is a repeat of a thread. I did go through multiple threads looking for this information and although many talk about the trunk and luggage, I can't seem to find specific dimensions anywhere...

I'm contemplating renting an F-Type convertible this summer for a 2-week roadtrip around Europe. Only issue I'm trying to figure out is if my suitcase will fit in the trunk! I have a an aluminum Rimowa suitcase measuring 50 x 28 x 76 cm. As it's not a duffel bag, it won't squish... Will I be able to close the trunk?

Tried asking the rental company but they're useless. Won't give me any specs of the car. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thank you,

KvA

Old 04-30-2017, 07:51 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Sorry, won't fit. Your suitcase is about 20" W x 11" D x 30" L. The length is OK, but max width is around 15", and the depth tapers from around 12" at the front to 8" at the rear.

There's quite a bit more volume than that, but it's a weird shape with the shallow area under the roof, and the deep well next to the battery.

Amazingly, I can get two smallish golf bags in with the woods removed.

You could buy your own strap-on luggage bag/rack, but that might be excessive.

Last edited by DJS; 04-30-2017 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KvA (05-05-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Time to buy a couple of duffle bags. By the way way who rents F-Types in Europe. In the US Hertz has a decent collection of Porsches.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

There are a couple of specific luggage sets made for the F-Type. The more common one is like this:

Jaguar F-TYPE Luggage Set 5 Piece Black & Red Part Number JFTLUGSET | eBay

In practice, it set has two main pieces - a medium-size and a slightly smaller airport carry-on. In addition there is a laptop bag that is slightly bigger than a sleeve, a rather large, thin shaving kit bag, and a suit bag.

Suaro (05-06-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Fits but do not over pack them!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:43 PM
KvA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks DJS! Very useful info! I'll bring a couple of soft bags and my small cabin sized hard-case bag. Do you think 2 of those would fit?

Anyways, happy golfing!

Suaro, different rental companies have different fleets in the different European countries. I'm renting out of Switzerland. Hertz has the Jag F-Type but they won't let you drive it in Italy or south of France (well you can at your own risk as all insurances and any CDW is nullified). I'm renting from Sixt though as they allow you to drive the car in most of Europe (including Italy where I'm planning to go). Avis has the Porsches in Switzerland but will only allow you to drive them in Switzerland, Germany and Austria so very restricted.

I've made my mind up and have gone ahead and requested the F-Type for two weeks around Europe but broken down in several legs so can go back to my "hub" to refresh luggage content. Will find a way to deal with luggage with smaller and soft bags.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by KvA; 05-05-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Suaro (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 10:32 AM

That is an interesting set of fitted luggage pieces. I would never have thought all of that would fit in the (what I call) rear glove compartment, but i guess the compartment is somewhat deceptive, shallow but horizontally deep. With the absence of a spare tire and the primitive roads we have in the SW United States I am not planning on any trips that would require a lot of luggage, but more power to you.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Hey... how much for a rental? I hate the idea of being overseas and not driving my car.

Luggage- I've the above-linked fitted F-Type set. It had a good life. TL;DR - I think soft sided day bags are 100% the way to go.

The garment bag is INCREDIBLE, and I've used it so much, and for air trips, it's falling apart. But still usable. It's such a great bag. I love. I would buy the set again for this thing.

The laptop bag is a bit silly, but the hanging med/dob kit is quite convenient and easy to stuff.

https://goo.gl/photos/eKBL1GKu3Y3rURgc6

There's some decent shots. The first photo has the garment bag shoved deep into the shallow part of the trunk. It gives you a GREAT amount of space for a few day packs, camelbaks, etc on the right rear.

Then you see one of the larger of the two final pieces sitting on the right. It fits like a bitch of a puzzle, and because of the cramming, they started falling apart pretty quick. You have to jam them in there....

They fit, when empty. Moderately packed, tho... it's a process.

With the little "cube" empty space we also get some more camera equip, etc. All in all, my wife and I traveled 4200 miles for 3 weeks to many high end properties (just saying that to say there was a various range of clothing for nice dinners, etc, but national park hiking, etc).

But a water leak this summer destroyed the two big bags, but the quality suggested they weren't going to have a long life vs the abuse I was giving it.

There's also the Italian made "Summer 142" Luggage Rack sold by bootbag
Convertible Car Luggage Rack : Summer 142

Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Hey all.... anyone venture to say the small or larger carry on version would fit?
I think so, but I haven't been able to find exact measurements on the weird boot size. Above seems to vaguely have them, but any thoughts welcome!

https://www.awaytravel.com/luggage/b...carry-on/green

Old 11-06-2017, 03:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I doubt the large one would fit, based on my previous measurements.

Uncle Fishbits (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I doubt the large one would fit, based on my previous measurements.
Yeah... I'm starting to look again for the mythical unicorn of luggage, that can fit in my trunk, be used with suits for 2 or 3 days trips, as well as be used for an extended 5-10 day road trip. I am sure it's out there. LOL

My garment bag that came with the f-type luggage is wonderful, but it's not made for heavy usage. In just under 2 years, I've really destroyed it. Seems, rips, etc. But I've used it for air travel and not just car travel.

I know soft sided or leather duffels are the best, but I just end up spending WAY WAY too much time researching and rubbernecking online, without finding one that feels perfect. It's aggravating. lol

Old 12-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 12-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

The Vert luggage fits. Period. I did a 4000 mile road trip, and I think I took out the dob kit and laptop bag, and was able to fit everything packed to the gills. Yes, the garment bag needs to be fairly flat to slide into the thinner space towards the front of the car/back of the trunk.... and the two bags conflicted with each other and needed enough manipulation to settle them into place, and you had to work it every once inawhile, but not aggressively like you might damage something. Yes, at times the trunk would shut, but not be perfectly closed, so it took some finagling. It is amazing how many nooks and crannies are in this car, whether boot or behind the seats, etc. It's not perfect, no, but it's the best I found other than a mess of random soft sided luggage. I do agree, however, that I wouldn't rebuy the stuff. The garment bag is easily my favorite garment bag I've ever owned. Functional, can pack it fuller than the trunk would allow, but so great as a carry on on planes, etc. I would consider buying the set again, to get another one of these bags. The other two main suitcase did get murdered in a storage room leak, so it's a moot point. Yes, it was a struggle, no, I wouldn't rebuy... but to say they don't fit is just lazy packing.

I really like the work that guy did on the post tho.... good guy to do all that experimenting and then report back. I would love the perfect "fit" for luggage, but it just doesn't exist. There's that unicorn of a high end designer luggage company stuff floating around, out there. There also the Summer 142 trunk luggage rack that I bought, would be cute, but I am sure if I had continued trying to put it on the car, I would have really destroyed it.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:46 PM

This is too good to pass up. The highest economic demographics for any Mercedes model (repeat ANY) is the E Wagon. Why, because the guys who drive Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rolls, Bugattis, etc. buy the Mercedes wagon to carry the luggage. If you don't believe me do the research. So forget about the semi-non-existent trunk and get a chase car.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:04 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

So for the F-Type get a Sportbrake!

Old 12-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

The Vert luggage does fit as long as you remember how it goes in. Only warning is to not over pack them as they layer in.