F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from Audi - Realistic to get into an F-Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,597 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Never understood the fixation of having to buy new. My R was $107k sticker and $66k used + the first owner added all sorts of extras I would have had to spend cash on - coating, clear protect, tint.

Lots of great cars in the 60-70k range fully loaded like new if one is patient. Let someone else take the 40% 'I bought mine new' haircut.

Nobody can argue that point Burt, and you are quite right about taking a hit!. Having said that, when I laid eyes on my 2015 V6S 2 years and 9 months ago - the first months and year the coupe came out - it was lust after first sight. Test drove the car and it was game over! I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, I couldn't have sex...OK, I'm being facetious. But I certainly knew the steep price - literally and figuratively - of buying new (never mind with lots more options than I intended or wanted; although now that I have them I like if not love them). So I paid the Piper and bit the bullet. I paid to play and haven't looked back since (I also received 10% off sticker...so that helped. A little).

Just like our esteemed - cigar smoking - colleague Unhingd did when he ordered his MT. No way he was going to wait for a previous owner to take the initial hit.

I get it. All of it.

Best regards,
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-11-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Let someone else take the 40% 'I bought mine new' haircut.
I 100% agree with that. I purchased my new, but only because I wanted MT that was released that year. I didn't want to wait 2 or 3 years until used MT started showing up. For a vanilla automatic car you'd be crazy not to snag clean V8S 14 or 15 for maximum discount and get it tuned with R tune (V8S and R is the same car). You probably could buy TWO 14s for a price of 18 R.

When I purchased my car new, I negotiated approximately $15K off list $98K price. However, the deal was closed in January. Not much demand for convertibles in the winter in Canada and it was buyer's market. Plus, I explained to the dealer that I was the only person in town who would actually want to purchase a MT convertible that isn't Porsche and that if they let me walk away they better find a permanent place in the showroom for the car. If you order a car, you will not get nearly as big of a discount. All the best deals is taking one from the existing inventory.

Last edited by SinF; 07-11-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

If you must buy a "new" 2017, wait a few months until the 2018's are on the dealer's lots. At that time the dealers will be much more motivated to move the 2017's. I would also consider the used market as better value for your money.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

[QUOTE=SinF;1719103]I 100% agree with that. I purchased my new, but only because I wanted MT that was released that year. I didn't want to wait 2 or 3 years until used MT started showing up. QUOTE]+1.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought (leased, actually) a 2016 F Type R last August (when 2017s were rolling in) for $89.5K. Sticker was $110.5K. Car has a warranty till 100K miles to boot.
If you want a month or two, the facelifted F Types will start appearing at the dealerships and they will be more willing to clear inventory at a bigger discount.
Good luck!

Old 07-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonKiller
I bought (leased, actually) a 2016 F Type R last August (when 2017s were rolling in) for $89.5K. Sticker was $110.5K. Car has a warranty till 100K miles to boot.
If you want a month or two, the facelifted F Types will start appearing at the dealerships and they will be more willing to clear inventory at a bigger discount.
Good luck!
Good to know - thanks for the info! In no rush I can afford to wait until mid-late august. I did a quick screen of what is still on lots nationwide and there a a few nice options - I dont mind paying for shipping if the price is right.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
While there is far more than the just sound, glorious though it is, I can assure you - as other's here will attest to - the V6S is no ***** cat.

I assume you've seen this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I6KFA7p7_aQ
I remember seeing this clip years ago and when I re-watched it, for the first couple of minutes I actually thought he was in the R :-) so point well taken

Good excuse to head back to the dealer and do some more test drives!

Old 07-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts
Default If not leasing, why take the new hit?

Never understood the fixation of having to buy new. My R was $107k sticker and $66k used + the first owner added all sorts of extras I would have had to spend cash on - coating, clear protect, tint.

Lots of great cars in the 60-70k range fully loaded like new if one is patient. Let someone else take the 40% 'I bought mine new' haircut.

+100

New purchase on high end cars has to be one of the worst investments I can think of. Well, except for maybe a timeshare. Find a 1-2 year old one with plenty of warranty and low miles, and you can resell later if you chose without taking a huge hit.

I'd much prefer to get the low mileage used R for $65K than a stripped down or ugly color combo new.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can definitely get a certified/lightly used (~10K miles) 2016 R for around $70 - $80 range, which is what you're paying for the TT RS.

Two cents:
1. From your Audi background, I assume you want AWD, so certified 2015 R is out. 2016 - 2017 is your best bet.
2. New 2017 R, even at a discounted price, will take some hit since 2018s have some visually noticeable changes, e.g. lighting system, front fascia design, tinted tail lights etc.
3. I don't think there're much changes, if any, between the 2016s and 2017s.

Definitely recommend a certified 2016 R if you can find one with your dream spec.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I suspect that most people here have a lot more revenue to blow on new than I had.

If you a lucky enough to not be a working stiff like me and money is no issue then buy new, no big deal either way. If money was no object for me I'd have an SVR.

Unfortunately I'm not a banker or Floyd Mayweather so I must be frugle. No choice in the matter and I refuse to be in LT debt.

Jay Leno: "Money (material things) won't make an unhappy person happy, but it will make a happy person happier." He nailed that one.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

i went the V8S (convertible) route myself. found a 2014 at a jag dealer in southern CA (i live in TX) with 707 miles and never been titled. msrp was $103845, they CPO'd it and out the door was $59k with a whole lot of options. being delivered tonite.

good luck
jim

Last edited by jimishooch; 07-11-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by RMoney
You can definitely get a certified/lightly used (~10K miles) 2016 R for around $70 - $80 range, which is what you're paying for the TT RS.

Two cents:
1. From your Audi background, I assume you want AWD, so certified 2015 R is out. 2016 - 2017 is your best bet.
2. New 2017 R, even at a discounted price, will take some hit since 2018s have some visually noticeable changes, e.g. lighting system, front fascia design, tinted tail lights etc.
3. I don't think there're much changes, if any, between the 2016s and 2017s.

Definitely recommend a certified 2016 R if you can find one with your dream spec.
Thanks for your thoughts - I would definitely want AWD so agreed there. I also don't want to squander $$ hence am being disciplined about what I am prepared to spend. I would happily take a 2016, either certified or new, I'm just not seeing much in terms of inventory at the moment, at least on CarGurus or Autotrader. I'm pretty fixated on white or silver on black and I guess thats a popular combo. Perhaps I need to literally trawl every dealer website :-)

Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to give you another experience:

I bought my 2016 R last Black Friday for 82k. It was a demo model, never titled, extremely low mileage, and CPO warranty good for another 4 years. It also came with all the packages except for the carbon ceramic brakes, although I later bought and installed the storm wheels cause I loved how they looked.

Like others have said, if you're patient enough, you're bound to find one that's within your price range.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shikatsu
Just to give you another experience:

I bought my 2016 R last Black Friday for 82k. It was a demo model, never titled, extremely low mileage, and CPO warranty good for another 4 years. It also came with all the packages except for the carbon ceramic brakes, although I later bought and installed the storm wheels cause I loved how they looked.

Like others have said, if you're patient enough, you're bound to find one that's within your price range.
Was this black Friday in '16 or '17?

Old 07-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,284 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by shahuk
I remember seeing this clip years ago and when I re-watched it, for the first couple of minutes I actually thought he was in the R :-) so point well taken

Good excuse to head back to the dealer and do some more test drives!
Yes, I went from the 5.0 XKR to the V6S F Type. The only thing I missed the quad pipes - I actually slightly prefer the drive in the 6 and it is usable quick rather than insane quick. Nothing wrong with insane quick though, and I'd be tortured is someone wanted to swap their R for my S, because even though the S suits me better there is something very special about the R.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this black Friday in '16 or '17?
2016, so the 2017 R's were already out and being sold. Black Friday 2017 is still 4 months away =P.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Hi All -

I was driving past a local Jaguar dealership and on a whim test drove a 2017 R. The rest, as they say is history. I was completely seduced by this exquisite machine!
I fell into the same trap I became obsessed with the F-Type after a test drive. Not knocking the 6....I"ve owned a few 6's, most recent was a 2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport...but I too was seduced by having an 8 again. Now...I leased a 2017 R...this after walking in and out of dealerships, one quote here, another quote there...but it was educational. There are many differing opinions on lease down payments, but I decided to increase my down to offset monthly, along with negotiating more miles per year. Deals depend on dealer inventory, time of year, day of the mont, even day of the week...along with being armed with some knowledge of the process. Also....bring your most charming self to interact with the sales staff. I saw that my salesman kept walking to a back office to talk with his boss, a no nonsense, cut to the chase lady who knew her stuff, so I wandered into to her office and introduced myself, and asked her what she would do in my position...long story short, she brokered a good deal for me. You may want to crunch some numbers and consider a lease.

BTW...the AWD paired with the V8 is awesome beyond words...a powerful cat with claws that really dig in :-)
CRS

Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I went from Audi S5 to F type R. The latter is a lot of fun and it was a good transition.

I had every imaginable bolt on performance mod done (tune, headers, intercooler, E85, clutch, tires, exhaust, intake, etc.) to the S5 and I raced myself (friend was driving the S5) and it still got smoked by the F type, haha.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
Deals depend on dealer inventory, time of year, day of the month, even day of the week...
POM dependent.

POM = Phase of the moon.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Bingo!