F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me the negatives about the F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Only real complaint...if you want to call it that...is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to fill the tank here in Cali without spending 10 minutes of it clicking off every other second.

Of course,that time is usually spent discussing the car with other motorists gawking at the car...so at least it's not a total waste,lol.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
biggest negative...the interior/infotainment/radio/nav/etc. in the F-Type will probably feel like it's from 1980 compared to a BMW. If you value this aspect of the car, it's horrible.
I didn't get nav in my BMW because they wanted an additional $2,200. The "technology" package added on even more, so I skipped it too. The display for the stereo sucks pretty bad, so it's hard to imagine it being worse. The bottom line is that I'm not big on the technology stuff. Heck, I had a flip phone until a month ago.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,596 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
I didn't get nav in my BMW because they wanted an additional $2,200. The "technology" package added on even more, so I skipped it too. The display for the stereo sucks pretty bad, so it's hard to imagine it being worse. The bottom line is that I'm not big on the technology stuff. Heck, I had a flip phone until a month ago.
NONE of the technology - if you wish to call it that - on the F-Type was even remotely influential to my buying my 2015 V6S. (And, yes, I'm glad I have the Vision Pack even if it's hardly state-of-the-art). I bought it for the looks and for the perfomance. Period.

Oh, and I might have you beat (based on what everyone else tells me): I still use and love my Blackberry [Torch].

Old 05-14-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 294 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Only real complaint...if you want to call it that...is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to fill the tank here in Cali without spending 10 minutes of it clicking off every other second.

Of course,that time is usually spent discussing the car with other motorists gawking at the car...so at least it's not a total waste,lol.
I don't have any problems filling the tank here in TX, however, I have learned that I simply CANNOT top off the tank. I have a minor OCD issue and I ALWAYS round my tips and stop the gas pump at the nearest dollar. I cannot do that on the F-Type. Once it kicks I'm lucky if I can round it to the nearest quarter before gas is at the top of the filler.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Yeah california's new emission pumps suck. There are a couple pumps I won't even go to anymore since I know it won't work even when holding it.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:05 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

I too used to round to the nearest $0.25, even though I pay with a C/C. Stopped doing that on my previous car, which insisted that topping off was bad. Happily, I don't think I've ever had a problem filling the Jag in MA, NY, OH, IN, MI or Ontario. (It's been to NH and VT too, but I'm not sure I've fueled there.)

Old 05-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Yeah california's new emission pumps suck. There are a couple pumps I won't even go to anymore since I know it won't work even when holding it.
All my other cars have not had issues with CA pumps, so it clearly has to do with the Jag design.

I find I approximate the amount of gas that I will need to reach full (1/2 tank means 9 gallons or so), then go back and forth from the pump to inside the car, between the pump clicking off, to check the fuel guage to see when it hits the full level. Very frustrating and time consuming.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
All my other cars have not had issues with CA pumps, so it clearly has to do with the Jag design.

I find I approximate the amount of gas that I will need to reach full (1/2 tank means 9 gallons or so), then go back and forth from the pump to inside the car, between the pump clicking off, to check the fuel guage to see when it hits the full level. Very frustrating and time consuming.
I had problems with my TT-RS as well. The Jag does seem to be worse though. I've found that if you angle as high up as possible (aiming the nozzle down, handle up) before smashing it in as far as the cup will take it, then click and lock the fuel pump. Usually that will give me a full tank with one try. It is the springy rubber shield on the nozzle that keeps the fuel from flowing so that needs to be engaged. Learned that when filling my motorcycle.

Also I wouldn't top off after a successful "finish click". Additional fuel will most likely just be redirected up the vapor line and back into the nozzle and hose. Costs you money for gas you don't get.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I had problems with my TT-RS as well. The Jag does seem to be worse though. I've found that if you angle as high up as possible (aiming the nozzle down, handle up) before smashing it in as far as the cup will take it, then click and lock the fuel pump. Usually that will give me a full tank with one try. It is the springy rubber shield on the nozzle that keeps the fuel from flowing so that needs to be engaged. Learned that when filling my motorcycle.

Also I wouldn't top off after a successful "finish click". Additional fuel will most likely just be redirected up the vapor line and back into the nozzle and hose. Costs you money for gas you don't get.
Agreed, the trouble is distinguishing the "finish click" from the 13 million "other clicks" before it's topped off.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,596 Likes on 858 Posts

Here in Maine I've not really had that issue at the gas pump; though once or twice I did have to gently "play around" with it. Not really an problem here.

To sum up, the ONLY negative I can see [I have] regarding the F-Type is the "-" between the F & Type.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Here in Maine I've not really had that issue at the gas pump; though once or twice I did have to gently "play around" with it. Not really an problem here.

To sum up, the ONLY negative I can see [I have] regarding the F-Type is the "-" between the F & Type.
I'm a pretty laid-back dude, but I think you've got me beat in the Zen department.

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts
The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (05-14-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Guys. I bought my F Type because it looks awesome, drives just as well and quite frankly the most fun car I have ever driven hands down. As a sports Car, no disappointment. As a Luxury sports car, a few disappointments but not any reason to regret buying one. I think the 2016 offer 6 speeds but the 8 speed auto is like nothing you have ever shifted with before. manuals??? Overrated as far as I am concerned. Why drive what everyone else seems to want to drive like a BMW, why not drive something new and exciting like my F Type.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tar1018:
Mulmur (05-16-2015), OzRisk (05-15-2015), Schwabe (11-02-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 01:59 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Apart from the odd technical issue; some engine, some paint, some interior design engineering (Audio) - you can live or sort out most of these. The car is excellent.

The biggest negative of the F-Type is Jaguar Land Rover. In my experience, they know nothing of customer care, have no systems to track issues correctly and treat customers like crap. Unfortunately this is no exaggeration - they truly are appalling.

The most important advice I can give anyone buying an F-Type is to focus on the quality of the dealership. Forget about shopping around for the cheapest price as you'll really need a high performing dealership to take care of you through ownership - because Jaguar wash their hands of the car the moment it leaves the factory. Check their mechanics and service team and examine their online ratings. Pick a good one and your F-type ownership will go well.

Unfortunately Jaguars issues in the area of service competitiveness lag some of the mainstream German brands by 5-7 years at the very least. Audi as an example is already using big data predictive analysis on potential part failures and will run a dealer campaign to replace parts at service time before they fail. It save them the cost of the breakdown.

And, because Jaguar don't have anything like this; they assume every customer is guilty and must prove their innocence.

The following 4 users liked this post by mawheele:
AnD3rew (11-01-2015), RickyJay52 (05-16-2015), Schwabe (11-02-2015), slojotaa (05-16-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get me wrong love I love my F-type (got it in June of 2013), and I wan't to keep it. Every time I drive the car it's total "sh#ts and giggles" and after two full years the feeling is still there.

But I have a "steering wander" that the dealer can't seem to fix steering was tight as a drum when I first got the care (AT ANY SPEED), now at 75mph I feel like I'm bouncing back and forth on the rail on Disney's Autotopia ride. I rolled an Austin Healey once never want to go through that again.

For the last year and a 1/2 at 75 Mph my F-type feels very unsafe (wife complains about the back-n-forth as a passenger) when I'm on a freeway straight away, definitely some sort of issue here, but the dealer just says they can't find anything. I'll try a few more times before I give up in frustration and take it to a distant dealership.

In Jaguar's defense I can't seem to find anyone else with the same issue.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,657 Likes on 3,363 Posts

Originally Posted by GerryJag

In Jaguar's defense I can't seem to find anyone else with the same issue.
Have a good tire shop look at your tires. Assuming none of the joints in the steering linkage are worn, the radial ply on one or both of your front tires may be coming loose. This has happened to me a couple of times, but usually after several high speed runs (even with high tire speed ratings, but on older tire technology). Also have an independent shop look at the alignment.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Have a good tire shop look at your tires. Assuming none of the joints in the steering linkage are worn, the radial ply on one or both of your front tires may be coming loose. This has happened to me a couple of times, but usually after several high speed runs (even with high tire speed ratings, but on older tire technology). Also have an independent shop look at the alignment.
+1. Was thinking the same thing. Years ago, I had similar issues on a car I can't remember, and replacing the tires cured the problem. They said the belts had separated in one of the front tires, even though it held air just fine and had plenty of tread left.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
Apart from the odd technical issue; some engine, some paint, some interior design engineering (Audio) - you can live or sort out most of these. The car is excellent.

The biggest negative of the F-Type is Jaguar Land Rover. In my experience, they know nothing of customer care, have no systems to track issues correctly and treat customers like crap. Unfortunately this is no exaggeration - they truly are appalling.

The most important advice I can give anyone buying an F-Type is to focus on the quality of the dealership. Forget about shopping around for the cheapest price as you'll really need a high performing dealership to take care of you through ownership - because Jaguar wash their hands of the car the moment it leaves the factory. Check their mechanics and service team and examine their online ratings. Pick a good one and your F-type ownership will go well.

Unfortunately Jaguars issues in the area of service competitiveness lag some of the mainstream German brands by 5-7 years at the very least. Audi as an example is already using big data predictive analysis on potential part failures and will run a dealer campaign to replace parts at service time before they fail. It save them the cost of the breakdown.

And, because Jaguar don't have anything like this; they assume every customer is guilty and must prove their innocence.
Hmmm. I've owned Jaguars for the past 25 years, I've had new ones, CPO ones and just plain used ones. I have found the quality to be way better now than in the past, but I've never found my dealership or JLR to be anything like you describe. They have always been very responsive to get things fixed and follow up with me to be sure I'm satisfied. I've also has experience with BMW and MB. To me, they are all pretty decent and on par when it comes to trying to keep customers happy. And now, on the 2016 models, scheduled maintenance is free.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine doesn't even arive until mid December, but I really don't like the grill bar, and I don't like the little shark fin antenna on the coupe.

Perhaps there is hope for the grille, if the Project 7 grille will fit.

Why does the coupe need a shark fin, but the convertible doesn't?

Old 11-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

The coupe does not "need" a shark fin but it is definitely cheaper than the antenna in the windshield, pure economics ... sad ... my XK does not have a shark fin ...

Quick Reply: Tell me the negatives about the F-Type