F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this F type, trade in my V6S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Thoughts on this F type, trade in my V6S?

So it was my birthday today (17) still youngest owner I think and I thought maybe I should treat myself, I've saved up a good amount of money from working and selling a few cars this month and thought maybe trade in my V6s for this R convertible? same year, 15k more msrp, not sure if im a fan of the darker colors on the F type, but the interior is perfect, and I like the Grydone wheels much more then my black ones I have now. here is the link, car is also a CPO, opinions, thoughts, comments? https://www.jaguarfortlauderdale.net...wj6hl0gmk33731

Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Go for it!

Old 03-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

I love the color, as well as the red interior. If you afford it, go for it.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Love the color, and having a 2016 R myself- I would highly recommend it!
However, considering your age you may want to at least look at the insurance costs of this as compared to your current car.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tork Monster
However, considering your age you may want to at least look at the insurance costs of this as compared to your current car.

and Fuel cost, but I can't imagine its much worse, I get 12mpg in v6s, but thats great compared to the 6 I got in my hummer H2.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:52 AM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Tork Monster
I doubt if he has to worry about such things.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I doubt if he has to worry about such things.
haha I wish it was that easy, but No I definitely have to worry, while I'm from a fortunate family, we don't have unlimited money and still have to factor in all those costs. at this point in time I could not come even close to affording an F-type R new but thanks to depreciation, and my family helping, Im very fortunate to drive one of these beasts

Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
haha I wish it was that easy, but No I definitely have to worry, while I'm from a fortunate family, we don't have unlimited money and still have to factor in all those costs. at this point in time I could not come even close to affording an F-type R new but thanks to depreciation, and my family helping, Im very fortunate to drive one of these beasts

Man, its funny to hear this even being considered, until I realized not every state is as greedy as ours. I so hate Kalifornia sometimes - they screw us for 10.25% sales tax on full purchase price of new or used cars, regardless of trade in. So here we don't consider swapping cars - you drive what you bought for the lease term or forever if you buy.

Wish we were like Florida, I'd have a different car every year!

Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Man, its funny to hear this even being considered, until I realized not every state is as greedy as ours. I so hate Kalifornia sometimes - they screw us for 10.25% sales tax on full purchase price of new or used cars, regardless of trade in. So here we don't consider swapping cars - you drive what you bought for the lease term or forever if you buy.

Do you also have to pay personal property taxes each year, and if so, how are those computed? Just curious because here we pay $500 maximum sales tax (increased from $300 three years ago) no matter the sales price, but we pay personal property taxes based on some obscure assessment formula. I'm thinking we still end up many dollars to the good, however.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

1. A trade in represents a portion of the purchase price why should the cash portion be taxed and not the in-kind portion.
2. The rest of the country wishes it had Prop 13 protection and didn't have to pay property tax on appreciated value.
3. There is no personal property tax on automobiles in CA. Go next door to AZ and you would be paying maybe $1500 EVERY YEAR.
4. For your taxes you get the finest public universities in the world, and not only paved roads, but FREEways.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I SO love my '16 R convertible. But unless they are offering a lot for your trade, shop a bit; you can find a bit better price.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Suaro
1. A trade in represents a portion of the purchase price why should the cash portion be taxed and not the in-kind portion.
2. The rest of the country wishes it had Prop 13 protection and didn't have to pay property tax on appreciated value.
3. There is no personal property tax on automobiles in CA. Go next door to AZ and you would be paying maybe $1500 EVERY YEAR.
4. For your taxes you get the finest public universities in the world, and not only paved roads, but FREEways.
To each his own. I find it disgusting that they tax the same car 10.25% every time it sells. $800 each year for tags too, but no personal property tax. Prop 13 protects long term residents, but as a serial home flipper it does nothing for me. 2400 sq. ft. house and I pay $2000 per month prop taxes. Buy a new F type and pay $10,000 in sales tax. If you sell in a year, buyer gets to pay $9000 in sales tax. 13.5% income tax. And our roads are far from free. In socal, they keep converting carpool lanes to pay per use (fast-trak) lanes, and we have toll roads as well.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

To each his own. I find it disgusting that they tax the same car 10.25% every time it sells. $800 each year for tags too, but no personal property tax. Prop 13 protects long term residents, but as a serial home flipper it does nothing for me. 2400 sq. ft. house and I pay $2000 per month prop taxes. Buy a new F type and pay $10,000 in sales tax. If you sell in a year, buyer gets to pay $9000 in sales tax. 13.5% income tax. And our roads are far from free. In socal, they keep converting carpool lanes to pay per use (fast-trak) lanes, and we have toll roads as well.
How much did you say that 2400 sq ft house was worth. Real estate taxes are based on Value not Footage. Sales taxes are a transaction tax not a tax on property. Taxation is CA is progressive. Tax go up with the ability to pay. It is quite kind to assets. The poor and elderly who do not flip houses are well treated by Prop 13.

In twenty years in CA, I never saw an unpaved road.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Suaro
How much did you say that 2400 sq ft house was worth. Real estate taxes are based on Value not Footage. Sales taxes are a transaction tax not a tax on property. Taxation is CA is progressive. Tax go up with the ability to pay. It is quite kind to assets. The poor and elderly who do not flip houses are well treated by Prop 13.

In twenty years in CA, I never saw an unpaved road.

We're getting off topic here, but I don't know too many people that think CA delivers value for the ridiculous high taxes. And I don't like having to keep cars and homes for decades to avoid punitive taxes. I live in what may be considered an exclusive area, but I don't see it that way. The beach nearby has chronic homelessness, tweekers roam the neighborhood at night and steal bicycles, bbq's, pretty much anything not bolted down to buy drugs, and the police can do little about it. My neighbor woke up to a homeless man ramming his "cart" into his S class Mercedes, doing thousands of dollars in damage. Police called, told my neighbor if he pressed charges he'd give the man a citation to appear before a special "homeless person" judge, who would not be able to order restitution. Officer handed him a police report for his insurance.....And don't get me started on the frickin bullet train....

The following users liked this post:
Noshame (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Keith
I SO love my '16 R convertible. But unless they are offering a lot for your trade, shop a bit; you can find a bit better price.

I agree its about 4,000 too expensive, but Im trying to direct trade, lets just say the dealer was not so forthcoming about some prior issues with the F type they sold me, so Im seeing if they can make a direct trade as a sign of good faith after the less then perfect experience, or at least make make it so im Only paying 2-3k more then my V6s, if not then I definitely will not be giving them my business, after the previous experience.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Question
what color was this vehicle? Pushing the link it seems like the vehicles been sold.
Thanks
DAG
Originally Posted by Terrance39
I love the color, as well as the red interior. If you afford it, go for it.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by dag82

Question
what color was this vehicle? Pushing the link it seems like the vehicles been sold.
Thanks
DAG

Augemite gray or something like that

Old 03-06-2019, 11:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Ammonite, probably, Beautiful color. I got my Corris Grey XE, after being told it was the replacement, and was the same as Ammonite. I don't think it's as warm, but I've never seen them side-by-side.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
I agree its about 4,000 too expensive, but Im trying to direct trade, lets just say the dealer was not so forthcoming about some prior issues with the F type they sold me, so Im seeing if they can make a direct trade as a sign of good faith after the less then perfect experience, or at least make make it so im Only paying 2-3k more then my V6s, if not then I definitely will not be giving them my business, after the previous experience.
If it warrants this, return the car for a full refund. Then you can shop unconstrained for the next one instead of trying to balance trade-in.

In the future, take this as learning experience and always get your car inspected. Even if by the same dealer that selling the car, they are not going to go for a provable fraud and hide issues. Plus service department rarely on speaking terms with sales people and won't cover up for them.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Personally, I think you need to rethink your car experiences. You got F-type at 17. What are you going to top this off with? Can you afford true exotic like Lambo or Ferrari down the road? Because otherwise it will be more of the same from here.

Ideal car for your age demographic is a beater. Something you can learn to drive on without regrets, something that you have to learn about to keep in good working order, and something that has character/patina. Ideally with a stick shift, so you know how to drive one if you ever have to. Look into BRZ, WRX, Mustang, Charger, old police cruiser, VW GTI, Mazda Miata (put in rollbar if you get early ones). Older the better, and do as much as possible fixes and maintenance yourself. More clude-y fix, the better, so you can see how bad fix looks and fails - it will really help you down the line dealing with mechanics.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this F type, trade in my V6S?