Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Rack from...uh...Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts
Default Tire Rack from...uh...Tire Rack

You'll excuse the poor quality but I took two shots this morning, while my car was warming up...so it looks like Bo Diddley is smoking, of my newly-installed tire rack now holding my summer wheels/tires. Nicely constructed, I thought someone here would like to know (about it).

Oh yeah, I also purchased those nifty looking covers - note the handles near the top of each tire - which will make moving them around (i.e. transporting) when I swap back into my summers a breeze.

Attached Thumbnails Tire Rack from...uh...Tire Rack-tire-rack.jpg   Tire Rack from...uh...Tire Rack-tire-rack-2.jpg  

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-23-2015 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

looking awesome

RickyJay52 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 01:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

You're going to need a bigger garage if all Lobstah Run participants are staying at your place...

Old 11-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Jay, the tire on the far right needs to come down a hair...

Old 11-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Jay, the tire on the far right needs to come down a hair...
Holy smokes, you're right!!!

Believe it or not I truly tried avoiding being compulsive about the placement of the tires in the rack, in their wraps, but having the handles all being accessible - in the same location - I felt has its benefits. And as long as the handles are all in the same general vicinity, why not have the words Tire Rack going in the same direction?

Will fix glaring miscalculation and post better - more accurate - picture tomorrow. Will that suffice Buick?

Best regards,
Jay

Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Do you reckon you can use one of your free AAA call outs to get them to change the wheels from summer to winter?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Default Don't Bother Using Your Calipers Buick

Better?

Attached Thumbnails Tire Rack from...uh...Tire Rack-tire-rack-3.jpg  
Old 11-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Do you reckon you can use one of your free AAA call outs to get them to change the wheels from summer to winter?
I "reckon" that no one here would let them; including me. (Good try though ).

Old 11-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Better?
Much better Jay...I'll sleep better tonight, thanks!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Much better Jay...I'll sleep better tonight, thanks!
I'll sleep better knowing you'll sleep better.

On a more serious note...thanks to a suggestion from DuhCar (John!) I did a bit of research [re] storing tires and the advice about wrapping them in an airtight (or close to) opaque plastic bag before storing them. I had my doubts that that would make any difference - sounded a bit like overkill - and after a quick phone call to Tire Rack (where I also just ordered the Tire Tote Wheel Felts, which will provide a little welcome wheel protection) my thoughts were generally confirmed; not that any added protection wouldn't hurt.

As I'm sure many here already know, sunlight, UV rays, and ozone are the primary culprits to tire rot but since my rack isn't anywhere near getting direct sunlight - plus we're only talking about several months over winter - I thought that it was/is unnecessary bagging them before putting them in the Tire Totes. Didn't think it would make any difference whatsoever based on where they are and how long they'd be out of use.

Having said all that, I did pick up 4 tire bags from a local dealer this morning and will be putting them on tonight. What the hell...

If nothing more just so Buick can get an even better sleep.

Thanks again John.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 11-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting on the bags...it was suggested to me that I store my magnesium wheels from the funny car in vacuum sealed bags in an effort to try and slow down the corrosion that occurs from within.

I just had to have them re-polished (to the tune of $500) even though I stored them indoors and polished and waxed them and covered them in plastic after polishing them ($800) the first time.

I doubt seriously if they make a bag big enough for a drag slick...you think?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting on the bags...it was suggested to me that I store my magnesium wheels from the funny car in vacuum sealed bags in an effort to try and slow down the corrosion that occurs from within.

I just had to have them re-polished (to the tune of $500) even though I stored them indoors and polished and waxed them and covered them in plastic after polishing them ($800) the first time.

I doubt seriously if they make a bag big enough for a drag slick...you think?
Just like there's a "cover for every pot", I'm quite sure there's a bag big enough to accommodate...well...anything. Question is, will it make any - or noticeable - difference and/or is it worth the hassle* or $'s? That I do not know but I bet there are plenty of scientific-minded individuals here who have an opinion.

*under the concept of diminishing returns.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Tire Storage Bags at Tire Rack

…Tire Totes are not airtight nor designed to prevent exposure to the atmosphere. The recommended solution would be to place each clean tire and wheel into the airtight plastic bag and then cover the sealed bag with a Tire Tote. * From their Web site.

Last edited by DuhCar; 11-24-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Tire Storage Bags at Tire Rack

…Tire Totes are not airtight nor designed to prevent exposure to the atmosphere. The recommended solution would be to place each clean tire and wheel into the airtight plastic bag and then cover the sealed bag with a Tire Tote. * From their Web site.
Thanks to you John, I did read that last night on the Tire Rack website...as well as reading other suggestions from other [ostensibly] tire websites. Basically all said the same thing (wrap in plastic) which is one of the reasons - besides my ordering those felt protectors today (being delivered tomorrow!) - I wanted to speak to someone at Tire Rack. He basically confirmed that sun and UV rays are the primary "bad guys" (my words) with ozone in there somewhere. I informed him that my rack, based on where it is installed in my garage, will not receive any direct sunlight as it's tucked nicely into the corner. I'll let others far more enlightened when it comes to tire chemistry to opine what benefits are truly achieved (or harm avoided) by wrapping the tires in plastic but I do plan on doing so once I get my felt protectors. All this means Buick will have the opportunity to see my further fine-tuning how beautifully I will have the words TIRE RACK lined up once nestled in the rack.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 11-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Tires [now] wrapped in plastic (overkill if you ask me - but maybe not - and thanks John for the advice), tire totes back on, felt pad wheel protectors inserted [it's a bit dark but see second photo]. Case closed! (I probably don't have to tell you these wheels + tires are damn heavy!).

Attached Thumbnails Tire Rack from...uh...Tire Rack-tire-rack.jpg   Tire Rack from...uh...Tire Rack-tire-totes-felt-pads.jpg  

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-26-2015 at 09:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
DuhCar (11-25-2015), Mbourne (11-25-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 08:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Next year, you can install a block and tackle (or electric hoist). Looks good!

RickyJay52 (11-26-2015)