F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire and Wheel Protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Well, maybe something is cheaper here: my car insurance* is less than £300 for a year.

Gas is down to £1.05 a litre...

*Comprehensive

Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Insurance rates are notoriously high in Michigan, especially in the greater Detroit area where we have the highest auto theft rate in the country and a numerous ramble of idiots who drive without insurance. On the flip side, our registration rates are reasonable vs some other states.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
Thanks, everyone.

No, I have never had tire or wheel damage that would be covered under the policy but we are getting some pretty bad potholes where I live (mostly from torrential rains) and one tire and wheel replacement alone would probably be more than the cost of the policy. Will think about this but right now I am leaning toward purchasing it.

I agree with you - I have never purchased tire insurance or any of the "special dealer-offered programs" before, but I did recently when I picked up the F Type. I live in Houston and the roads in many parts of the city are really bad because of our poor soil conditions and our weather. Roads are constantly developing pot holes - some of which will be 6+ inches deep and not have even been there the day before. I drive a Ford Expedition as my daily driver and am saved from damage due to the large tires.

I decided that for peace of mind to get the insurance because 1 tire and wheel would cost more than the insurance. You're in Florida and likely have some of the same rain/poor soil issues as coastal Texas (where the deer and the antelopes- and the Jaguars play).

Old 01-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Wow, my F-Type rate is $402 every 6 months and that's for premium coverage including OEM replacement parts.
I pay $625 every 6 months but that is for both the F Type R and the 2014 M5

Old 01-29-2015, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Sounds about right. That's close to the 6-month premium (about $700) we pay for the F-Type and my wife's '15 Benz. DC/Baltimore-metro is probably rated a little higher-risk than Atlanta-metro, because we endure the 2nd worst traffic gridlock in the U.S. (behind LA), plus plenty of winter weather.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:19 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I pay the same every 6 months for just the F type. However, I know part of that is a hurricane premium plus we have lots of uninsured drivers.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my V8S for 51 weeks.

During that time I've had to replace 3 rear tires. The latest being 1 yesterday on the way back from DFW airport.

For me, it's definately worth it.

Paul

Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjsammon
I purchased a similar wheel/tire protection policy when I bought my XKR. Claims for damaged tires are pretty straightforward. However wheel damage is a bit more tricky. I hit a curb by accident and ended up with a slightly bent rim. The policy wouldn't reimburse me because the wheel/tire were still holding air and structurally sound. Apparently to make good on getting a damaged wheel replaced you really have to mash it up bad. And, no, curb rash is not covered on my policy. You have to read the fine print.

Mike
This held true when I tried to use the insurance for a bent wheel on my 2013 RR. I raised hell with the service manager and the dealer agreed to cover the cost to repair. Fortunately, the company the dealer uses to fix the bent rim broke mine. At that time the insurance kicked in and replace the wheel.

Make sure to read or have all the details read to you prior to signing up. Some damage policies can be very misleading during the sales pitch!

If you have a bent rim and would like to file a claim, I suggest taking a sledgehammer to the wheel edge. This will make the transaction MUCH smoother.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you required to go to the dealer for tire service - and with all these tire incidents did anyone use or need a spare?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
Are you required to go to the dealer for tire service - and with all these tire incidents did anyone use or need a spare?
With mine,I can go anywhere I please...I have no spare.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just finished dealing with this nightmare. I got an extremely sick deal on a 2015 F-Type coupe that i picked up monday for the GF wasn't in the market at all but was contact by a friend and i simply couldn't refuse the deal. Long story short this was my first time leasing a vehicle ever. While i have helped many family members and friends negotiate theres it was my first. I live up in NY/NJ area where the roads are terrible so I hesitantly agreed to wheel and tire with cosmetic partially because my GF will be driving the car often as well. I am not sure where you guys are located but for me the cost was $1,924!!!!

It increased my payment $56 a month not happy at all with that, after i slept on it over night i wanted to cancel it and was basically told that i could cancel it but my payment wouldn't change it would in essence simply lower my total money owed and probably get last few payments credited.

I know i could steal cancel it but making the dealer do a flat cancel and rewriting but like i said i got an amazing deal and the last thing i want to do is be a pest.

I do however have the 20" Tornados and the roads in NY/NJ are terrible so it may not be abad thing keeping it. i would have however preferred to self insure.

The good thing about it is if i do sell the car or trade it in they pro[rate the amount and credit the unused portion off the total cap cost.

I an t believe someone here said they offered it to them at $500 for 3 years!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just finished dealing with this nightmare. I got an extremely sick deal on a 2015 F-Type coupe that i picked up monday for the GF wasn't in the market at all but was contact by a friend and i simply couldn't refuse the deal. Long story short this was my first time leasing a vehicle ever. While i have helped many family members and friends negotiate theres it was my first. I live up in NY/NJ area where the roads are terrible so I hesitantly agreed to wheel and tire with cosmetic partially because my GF will be driving the car often as well. I am not sure where you guys are located but for me the cost was $1,924!!!!

It increased my payment $56 a month not happy at all with that, after i slept on it over night i wanted to cancel it and was basically told that i could cancel it but my payment wouldn't change it would in essence simply lower my total money owed and probably get last few payments credited.

I know i could steal cancel it but making the dealer do a flat cancel and rewriting but like i said i got an amazing deal and the last thing i want to do is be a pest.

I do however have the 20" Tornados and the roads in NY/NJ are terrible so it may not be abad thing keeping it. i would have however preferred to self insure.

The good thing about it is if i do sell the car or trade it in they pro[rate the amount and credit the unused portion off the total cap cost.

I an t believe someone here said they offered it to them at $500 for 3 years!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by nytojerz

As I previously stated, it was offered to me for $600 for 3 years. I declined because I prefer to self insure.

Perhaps the cost is based on where you live and the likelihood of having this issue happen perhaps multiple times. You already stated the roads are terrible where you are so why would'nt you expect the cost of the insurance to be higher. The cost of insurance is usually based on risk and the risk of you damaging a wheel from a pothole is certainly greater than mine as I am in central Florida and most of the roads are fairly good.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I paid $1450 for 5 years of insurance protection for wheel and Tire damage, curb rash, and ding and door dent coverage. Changing lanes on I-95 today, I noticed a 2 foot long piece of construction iron soon enough to avoid with the front wheel, but still caught a piece of the wide rear wheel. Slashed the side wall and took a 1/4" divot out of the wheel rim. The policy has already paid for itself if they give me a new wheel, and is half way there if the wheel is deemed repairable. First time I've ever had this coverage . Took me less than 3 weeks to use it.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-22-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Excellent!

That's the only dealer package I ever purchase on my expensive cars, and I did again on my F-Type. I've never used it, but I'm sure I will eventually. Did the tire stay inflated?

Last edited by Foosh; 07-21-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Looking back the last 20 years, I have saved a lot of money by NOT buying a Tire and Wheel protection.....

Old 07-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Excellent!

That's the only dealer package I ever purchase on my expensive cars, and I did again on my F-Type. I've never used it, but I'm sure I will eventually. Did the tire stay inflated?
No, that gash went all the way through the sidewall. The alert center and display screen both went into high alert defcon 1 immediately displaying 0 psi on right rear tire. only as I changed lanes to get to the shoulder did I notice the steering wasn't as sharp as usual. Without the warning displays, I probably would not have noticed the total flat for quite some time.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy

I paid $1450 for 5 years for insurance protection for wheel and Tire damage, curb rash, and ding and door dent coverage. Changing lanes on I-95 today, I noticed a 2 foot long piece of construction iron soon enough to avoid with the front wheel, but still caught a piece of the wide rear wheel. Slashed the side wall and took a 1/4" divot out of the wheel rim. The policy has already paid for itself if they give me a new wheel, and is half way there if the wheel is deemed repairable. First time I've ever had this coverage . Took me less than 3 weeks to use it.
Ouch, bad luck! 20 years ago I wondered when they'd be finished with construction on I-95 & I495 around DC - the answer is clearly NEVER! There's always going to be junk on those roads...unfortunately.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Ouch, bad luck! 20 years ago I wondered when they'd be finished with construction on I-95 & I495 around DC - the answer is clearly NEVER! There's always going to be junk on those roads...unfortunately.
Yes. I-95/495 in the DMV is the most heavily-traveled highway in the US, and the problem is by the time they finish construction, it's worn out, and they have to start all over again. It's just like the Golden Gate Bridge. Right after they finish a repaint, they just start over again.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,076 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy

...Changing lanes on I-95 today, I noticed a 2 foot long piece of construction iron soon enough to avoid with the front wheel, but still caught a piece of the wide rear wheel. Slashed the side wall and took a 1/4" divot out of the wheel rim. The policy has already paid for itself if they give me a new wheel, and is half way there if the wheel is deemed repairable. First time I've ever had this coverage . Took me less than 3 weeks to use it.

Yikes. Do you have the spare, or did you call Jaguar roadside assistance?

I hit an aluminum extension ladder on an expressway with my other car a few years ago. Almost missed it, but took out the front right tire.

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel Protection