F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking the F type R

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm on the OEM PZeros. Yes, in the day with my Turbo GT Mustang I pulled peak numbers a tad less, sustained close to 1G. This is quite a good handling considering its a 4000# pig (albeit stylish)!

Turn 5 at PBIR

Last edited by inmanlanier; 05-17-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
Only 1 car was keeping with me - a well tricked out Rousch Mustang - I meant to visit him and see what he was running. Are the g-meters accurate on these things? My showed <- 1.06 G and -> 1.114 G peak. I was quite happy. I may tweak the tire pressures up a little next time since there was reasonable rollover.
Best peak I've recorded was 1.14 during turn 17 at Sebring... but like others said sustained G is the real measure. For comparison I had a peak of 1.2 G on that same turn in a c6z06 and 1.3-1.4 in a spec miata.

MY first track day in the R was at PBIR...not my favorite track but still a good time.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 PM

If I were to pick the color - yours is what I would have picked. The boss liked the white - easy decision from then on (because her like was essentially assent to this purchase!). Yes, fully understand about peak vs. sustained. The point is that despite the car's heft, it does pretty well. Were you on R compound tires with those higher numbers (BTW - mine was also 1.14 - an extra '1' sneaked in there). I'm a strait shot out from PBIR - literally have hundreds of laps at the old track. Sebring short track is the most wicked track for brakes - at least on the long one you get some cooling!

Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 PM

I was on the P-zeros which had about 5k on them at the time. Agreed the car did well despite its heft. I have the CCB which didn't fade at all. Mine is RWD so a little more of a handful, I wonder what my lap time difference would be in a '16+.

Interestingly, the guy in the stall next to me at Sebring in new Z06 had to cut day short secondary to cooling issues. I believe they have corrected that since then.

MC

Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 PM

There are all sorts of shortcomings in the Vettes (Z06 with it's own issues) that hurt them regarding track readiness. My bud is doing alot of said due diligence at this time and has shared some interesting things - like did you know they went to the trouble of having curved vane vented front rotors vs. strait vanes (DOH - been around for a few decades), but to save a nickel they only make one that is properly rotating when on the left front. The right front rotates backwards! Unbelievable.

If your tail end is too happy, next time out bias your rear pressures up. First try, bump them up 2 psi (that's actually alot) - if it corrects too much (meaning well planted rear, but front now understeering), then drop the rear back down 1 psi and see what happens. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I love the idea of the CC Brakes, but don't love the price. With 15" rotors - it appears we do fine on the standard ones.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:12 PM

I have since replaced the P-zeros with the Michelins and that seems to have calmed the rear slightly. I still think 295s are too narrow for a car with 500 ft-lb of torque. I think the new z06 has 335 on back and still has a hard time putting power down but has a very sophisticated tc system...

mc

The following users liked this post:
LT Cav (08-10-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Jaguar F-Type chasing Porsche Turbo

Doing my best to catch a Porsche Turbo - he was quicker on the straights where the Jag usually shines best.

The following 3 users liked this post by Matttheboatman:
FTYPERGUY! (12-14-2018), Jamal302 (09-01-2022), LT Cav (09-29-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 02:29 PM

It has been awhile since I've taken the big cat out on the circuit. This past weekend was a Porsche Club race weekend at NOLA, which included an HPDE event for experienced (solo) drivers. Prior to the event, I brought the car in to have it checked out by Jesse my "crew chief" over at Bullard Jag in Mobile, AL. I had him go over the car - we changed the oil, and I changed out the brake fluid to Castrol SRF, and did an alignment - all OEM spec, nothing radical. The rears are not really adjustable but the fronts did need some tweaks to bring them back into alignment.

I experimented and changed tires from the ContiForce in OEM spec to Michelin Cup 2s in a slightly larger configuration: 265/35/ZR20s on the front, and 305/30ZR20 on the rears.

For the street, the Michelins are considerably harsher when cold, but they smooth out when heated up. They are really a "street-able" DOT legal track tire. They handle the rain just fine on the AWD Jag. We did a session in the wet and they performed very well.

On the track, I was able to reduce time by 3 seconds (from 2:10 to 2:07) switching from the Continentals to the Cup2s. And, they felt like they had much more grip - really sticky when pushing hard. I'm not sure what my cold pressures were, but hot starting at 30/32 resulted in 34/35 psi when heated. 3 seconds is a lot, but I am not reaching the times of a Porsche GT4 which is around 2:00 flat.

NOLA is particularly brutal on the front left. The Cup 2s with minimal camber do burn thru the outside edge quickly on the heavy Jag. 3

The Jag performed very well again. Braking was very good - except I did feel some performance loss when braking at top speed 135+ late in the sessions, but otherwise was as good as many of the much lighter race-equipped cars.

The Jag does struggle a bit mid-corner and I do feel its self-preservation nannies cut back on the throttle response if she wiggles or when coming out of high-G turn. That is fine with me, as it keeps the car and its occupant safe.

As usual, the Jag turns head (and ears!) and gets many compliments from the other drivers. It's a hooligan for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Tracking the F type R-dsc_0601.jpg   Tracking the F type R-dsc_0605.jpg   Tracking the F type R-dsc_0598.jpg   Tracking the F type R-dsc_0623.jpg   Tracking the F type R-img_0688.jpg  

Last edited by Matttheboatman; 09-19-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added pics, grammer
The following 3 users liked this post by Matttheboatman:
DJS (09-18-2017), DPelletier (09-18-2017), FR500GT (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Laps with some speed data overlay...

The following 2 users liked this post by Matttheboatman:
ndabunka (12-03-2017), TR64ever (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:15 AM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Interested in some tire pressure - tire wear advice.
Had hot tire pressures of 45# and the back end feeling slippy so droped them to 45# and the car felt more settled at the back but thought more understeer from the fronts.
In the past I've debated adding a couple of # to the fronts to reduce understeer with those who say, add a couple of # to the rears to reduce the understeer ( I think , by increasing oversteer...but I'm not sure or possibly it's that I don't comprehend the whole thing)
This will be my first effort at posting pictures. If successful the 1st will show a front tire with Mr Pnu almost loosing his fingers....severe "roll over" and the next being about what I like to see being a rear tire.
Help and advice gratefully received.

Attached Thumbnails Tracking the F type R-img_0680.png   Tracking the F type R-img_0679.png  
Old 09-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Awd

Scheesh....should say "dropped them to 43#"
Alan

Old 09-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Awd
Scheesh....should say "dropped them to 43#"
Alan
Which tires are you running - the Sport Pilots or Cup 2s?

Either way that is WAY TOO much pressure. YES, spirited driving will cause your outer edge to wear prematurely, but that is part of going to the track with a street alignment. Race cars have 4 - 9 degrees or more negative camber on the fronts to get better all-around tire wear. Nevertheless, all sport tires grip much more with hot pressures in the 30s.

Tire pressure is about balancing the grip. In a perfect world, all your tires will be at the same temperature when you pit in. Similar temperatures indicate equal distribution of the work/grip. This typically means taking more air out of the fronts as they tend to heat up more causing the front air pressures to rise much higher relative to your starting pressures.

Each car, and each track is different - but 45# will get greasy in any soft compound sport tire on any track.

You don't have to worry about under steer on the AWD Jag. Just get your temperatures balanced and she will drive happy happy.

Matt

Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 PM

Without getting into the arguments of hot or cold tire pressures and which is best (that's like talking about which oil is best - way too emotional!) - I ran 2 psi more in the rear - SET COLD AND NEVER RECHECKED. Read above in the post if you wish to understand how we evolved to that practice. Before my first event I was going to run higher than I did but got a lot of 'advice' from the forum beforehand that my first thoughts were too high. I then reduced my planned cold temps and ran 33 front and 35 rear. The balance was very good which to me means the bias is correct, but... as I stated above I think they were too low - likely next time I'll start at 35 front and 37 rear then monitor edges (or temps if I bring a gun). This was on Pzeros.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Shortly after getting the F-Type R Conv. this summer I joined SCCA with doing track days in mind. After finally getting paint protective layer I was ready to go and asked if my conv was acceptable to SCCA. I saw it is in several orgs such as NASA. This is the response I finally got after 2 weeks. Bummer, anyone have a factory doc? No way I'm adding a roll bar!

Lee,
Here's where we are after much searching and discussion amongst the tech team which are 3 of us, John Rock, Art Jaso and myself. We all are copied via the pdxtech@wdcr-scca.org email.

First off we are a volunteer organization, so that is part of the reason for the delay in addition to your unique car. NASA while a fine group, is a business and is run by a small group of people, which results in quick decisions. Our SCCA DC Region PDX program is the largest stand alone PDX program in the country which many folks have spent 10+ years building to what it is. We are also a family, and consider all workers, instructors, drivers and guests family, we treat everyone that way which I hope you will discover. We are concerned about the safety of our family. Us 3 guys together have been around race tracks for over 50 years and have seen some scary accidents which we hope to not see again. YouTube has many such videos.

So while we are concerned about your car running as is and would like to see a proper SCCA roll bar, our rules specify that it can run if it meets our event's supplemental instructions relating to rollover protection copied here in bold italics:

2. Open cars must have an SCCA Time Trials legal roll bar, or non-mechanical “factory rollover protection” (bring factory
documentation). The top of the roll bar must be above the top of the helmet of both driver and instructor. Rollover protection
should be such that all vehicle occupants are able to pass the “broomstick” test when properly seated, belted, and helmeted.
Removable hardtops are NOT considered rollover protection.

What we would need to see in advance is:

1. Factory documentation of rollover protection (suggest looking in owner's manual, or contact the factory).
2. Confirmation any rollover protection is "non-mechanical", ie: it must not be pop up style hoops or bars.
3. Pass the broomstick test (at the track tech inspection we perform the day of the event, but would suggest you do so in advance yourself).

We were unable to find any factory documentation on the car other than internet news articles and dealer statements that is has a "rollover protections system". Hopefully you can find this documentation from the factory which should be available to you as a Jaguar owner I would think.

Thanks for your interest and we all hope you can obtain this information and become part of the PDX family with us.

Sincerely,

Louis Alessi
John Rock
Art Jaso

PDX Tech/Grid Team

Old 09-29-2017, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Fortunately for me, nobody made a big deal about this with my car. At most, they request I drive with the top up.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

There are rollover hoops that go above the helmet. Bring in your manual and you should be fine. At this point, the SCCA should just indicate which cars are NOT permitted, as there are very few that I think would not pass safety...

Old 09-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Awd

From my experience in Canada, BMW will not permit convertibles but PCA will , for DE days.
I've instructed one FType and several Boxter convertibles at PCA events at Maritime Motorsport Park near Halifax.
I'm quessing there will be a number of organizations that will permit convertibles...and many that won't. You will have to dig them out.
Good luck.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:58 AM
Default At Daytona

4,049#. The big cat needs to go on a diet!

Old 12-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Default 2:11 best lap

Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This made my day. I want to do that.
What did you do for prep or clear tech?
I've only run on high banks a couple. of times. It looks like a lot of buffeting and how was the transition off the bank to the infield part?
Great stuff.