Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it tyres or the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 955 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Is there a chance it's in track DSC.? My XF steps out when turning with throttle on dry pavement, although tires are worn. There is slight delay and traction control kicks in.
Getting into TracDSC takes deliberate effort: Hold the button down for five seconds, then push it twice more. It also needs to be reset every time. The car always comes up with DSC on regardless of other settings.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Just tested the DSC on mine. Allows very little drift before it throttles back. (This was on dry pavement) I'll have an opportunity to test on wet pavement this afternoon .

Old 09-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I don't think you can really compare the traction control system in the AWD variant to that of the RWD version. Not only do you have the TCS system kicking in, but you also have the car transferring power from the rear to the front to compensate as well. Its apple to oranges.
The situation were it was most noticable to feel the difference (with traction controll on) was coming out of a long curve and applying full throttle for the coming straigt. Through the corner you go as fast as possible on the limit to drift. When leaving the apex and opening the throttle the awd holds back on power til the car is fully stabilaced to the point were you get frustrated waiting for the power to kick in. It makes you feel a need to turn off the traction control, as it holds back on power too long compared to the available grip and control of the car.

On the rwd car out of the same corner the car let the power come earlier and stronger and in such a way that you might need to hold back on the throttle - and the acceleration felt stronger.

With the traction control set to track-esc or turned off, I am sure it would be the other way arround. But for the cars I tested (same place, same day, same conditios) it was obvious that the awd R traction control interveined a lot earlier and was more intrusive than in the rwd R.

It might be apple to oranges, but it was never the less very easy to notice the difference, and something the professional instructors also mentioned. They made a comment that it might be a safety issue? Or that the 2016 models has been modified so that traction control is more intrusive (the awd was a 2016 and rhe rwd was a 2015 model).

Last edited by Arne; 09-26-2015 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-26-2015)