F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unleaded Race Gas- Other Fuels

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Just as I have a choice of which grade to run in my tank, I would like the choice to not put ethanol adulterated gas in if my wallet chooses. Texas is not the place for that.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I understand your reasoning and know that you have well supported points.

I also know that you're wasting your time trying to convince people that ethanol (E10) is not actually Satan Incarnate. They'll always point to boats or garden tools (which can suffer problems with E10 if misused) and make an assumption that same will happen with their cars.

Good luck.
I agree with Stohlen's points as well.....however I have no assumptions with regards to my F type and ethanol, I simply see zero positive reasons for using it when the alternative is available as well as some potential downsides, particularly around longer term storage.

If I'm wrong, lets hear why. :-)

Dave

Old 11-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
some potential downsides, particularly around longer term storage.
Despite the sky-is-falling stories on the internet usually posted by a guy who knows a guy, there's no real evidence of such things happening. I can repost my own first person car-related experience for the umpteenth time if anyone wants.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Despite the sky-is-falling stories on the internet usually posted by a guy who knows a guy, there's no real evidence of such things happening. I can repost my own first person car-related experience for the umpteenth time if anyone wants.
so no upsides to using it then? .....that's what I thought. ;-)

I'm not saying it's "bad" to use ethanol fuel in an F type, but I will say that there are far more problems in general with ethanol contaminated fuel than non ethanol contaminated fuel, particularly if it sits around for months. This isn't just my opinion, there are thousands of examples out there. On several motocycle forums I participate on it's a known fact that ethanol has caused significant problems. You can spend days googling it and I've experienced it first hand.

So in a nutshell, there are zero demonstrated benefits in using E10 in a stock F type and some potential down sides (regardless of how small a potential you may feel it is) .....therefore logic suggests it's better to use non-ethanol fuel if it's available.

Don't bother re-posting, I've read it before. If I've missed some intangible benefit that I'm unaware of, let me know; I'm happy to admit I'm wrong when I am.

Dave

Old 11-25-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier

So in a nutshell, there are zero demonstrated benefits in using E10 in a stock F type and some potential down sides (regardless of how small a potential you may feel it is) .....therefore logic suggests it's better to use non-ethanol fuel if it's available.
If it's available- that's the key point.

Many areas cannot locally obtain 91 octane in E0 at all, and must purchase either higher octane E0 at higher price or must travel some distance out of their way to find 91 E0.

Given the choice I'd use E0 too, but I'm not going to spend extra or drive out of my way to find it.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

If it's available- that's the key point.

Many areas cannot locally obtain 91 octane in E0 at all, and must purchase either higher octane E0 at higher price or must travel some distance out of their way to find 91 E0.

Given the choice I'd use E0 too, but I'm not going to spend extra or drive out of my way to find it.
Fair enough; I have it in two locations less than 5 minutes drive from my house at rates that don't exceed pricing for E10 fuels of the same octane. I had been using mostly 94 Octane Chevron E0 but based on this thread, I'll probably use the 91 E0 Shell V Power if it's noticeably cheaper.

Cheers,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,168 Likes on 1,612 Posts

fyi, if you are waiting for the resident ethanol enthusiast
to trot out an actual benefit ... you'll be waiting years and
thousands of posts. the invitation to do so has been stated
in many forms over the years.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
fyi, if you are waiting for the resident ethanol enthusiast
to trot out an actual benefit ... you'll be waiting years and
thousands of posts. the invitation to do so has been stated
in many forms over the years.
There you guys go again being all vague! To some people there are tremendous benefits, to others there are none. It all depends on what the scenario is... end of thread.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Not to highjack this thread .....

Question guys,
Is there ANY... product sold in the well known auto parts stores that is worth pouring into our gas tank. I say no, as its pretty much all a gimmick. Marketing simply for sales. There are sooo many canned and bottled products on the store shelves. Any of them worth buying?
I'm thinking no.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Question guys,
Is there ANY... product sold in the well known auto parts stores that is worth pouring into our gas tank. I say no, as its pretty much all a gimmick. Marketing simply for sales. There are sooo many canned and bottled products on the store shelves. Any of them worth buying?
I'm thinking no.
The only fuel additive other than Seafoam or Spectrum (for putting the car in storage for the winter) that is worth anything is BG 44K if you start throwing codes related to the injectors. But that shouldn't be necessary if you've been using a tier 1 fuel with a good detergent package.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Question guys,
I'm thinking no.
Additives can have one or possibly two purposes

1) keep bad things from happening
2) cure bad things that have already happened

I'm not aware of any shortcomings of modern fuels where either issue may arise. So, I'm thinking 'no' also.

Probably the last product I'd consider using would be Seafoam. It's comprised of 50% light petroleum oil, 25% naptha and 25% rubbing alcohol. That was a great combo for the product's original purpose back in the '50s of unclogging 2 stroke outboard motor carbs, I see no benefits in a modern car.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Skip the E85 talk please, we all know that part.

I wanted input on actual use of highest octane unleaded use straight vs standard pump 93 or that 1 and only the one brand " Race Gas" type in the can. All those octane boosters are junk as well know.

I just wanted to know if the Jags ECU is progressive to an extant when using above 93 pump octane?

I know when I use this "Race Gas" brand i na can and actual race gas like MS103 in stock and flashed GTR's and 997's it does a good amount of difference to a point to give a slight edge.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Yes, ethanol discussion was stupid and 100% OT. Use VP109 and you get benefit of 9% oxygen. AFR equivalent is 13.4. Makes 3% more power - ie. @600bhp you get ~20bhp more. Torco is also not a bad stuff: Torco unleaded accelerator, it is not just another octane booster . Kenne Bell recommends it also.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigCat09

I just wanted to know if the Jags ECU is progressive to an extant when using above 93 pump octane?
so far it sounds like the jury is leaning to no. At least you got your answer for the canned additives.

Cheers,
Dave