F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US InControl question - expiration and renewal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 09:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I called JLR and I was told that the map updates are $119.00 for one year and $169.00 for 3 years and you need a USB stick (thumb drive) to download the maps on using my computer and to transfer the information to the car using the USB port in the armrest.
The SD card is for internet and WIFI hotspot which you need a monthly subscription thru AT&T. The confusing part of the conversation came when she said that the map subscription provides the real time traffic updates which I would think would come through the cellular connection. I do know that my wife's Jeep has real time traffic without a cellular connection, so I assume this is correct. More information at jaguar.here.com or just here.com

Old 04-14-2023, 03:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
... downloading from an active InControl account on a PC ...
It has to be a Windoze PC, or a Mac.

Old 04-14-2023, 03:44 AM
Received 123 Likes on 103 Posts

Lake Bluff enrolled us in InControl when we bought the Pace. Free for a year. Discovered it also covered the Type at no additional charge. Renewed this year, don't remember how much. Remote start is now a requirement for she who must be obeyed.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:53 PM
Received 415 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by colormegone
The confusing part of the conversation came when she said that the map subscription provides the real time traffic updates which I would think would come through the cellular connection. I do know that my wife's Jeep has real time traffic without a cellular connection, so I assume this is correct.
This is correct. You need the SIM and a data plan to get real time traffic, real time searches, and satellite imagery for the maps as you drive through the cellular connection. Without it, you can still update the maps with the map subscriptions but you won't have live traffic or live searches (it searches the onboard POI database instead).

Old 05-19-2023, 08:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,394 Posts

My InControl subscription is about to expire, when the 5-year warranty does. Based on Jag's email, I don't plan on renewing...

The following services will expire if you choose not to renew your InControl subscription:
  • SOS Emergency Call: In a critical situation, SOS Emergency Call will bring the emergency services to your exact location
  • The Jaguar InControl Smartphone App: InControl Remote provides information on your vehicle and lets you prepare for a trip by checking fuel levels and range remotely. The Journeys function allows you to view and save previous routes, making it easier for you to claim mileage expenses.
  • Optimising Jaguar Assistance* uses GPS to minimize any delay in getting you back on the road.
  • Stolen Vehicle Locator: In the event of theft, Stolen Vehicle Locator works with police to expedite vehicle recovery
If you choose not to renew, your vehicle’s InControl Remote & Protect feature will automatically be disabled from your vehicle.

If you choose to renew, your vehicle’s InControl Remote & Protect feature will be reactivated automatically once the renewal is completed.

Please note that the activation or disabling of the InControl feature from your vehicle may not take place immediately if your vehicle does not have sufficient mobile network coverage.

Your InControl Remote & Protect for your Jaguar XE will expire in 15 days on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2023

The last day of your InControl subscription is Tuesday, May 23rd, 2023, however to find out your options, including how to renew your subscription if you wish to do so, please follow the link below:

*Renewal does not include roadside service or use of your GPS location to aid the roadside provider. Roadside service can be purchased separately either through an extended warranty or roadside service provider. The service provider will inform you if support is available (e.g., through a Jaguar Extended Warranty), or you may be offered a pay on demand service directly with the provider. You will still be able to connect to a roadside operator without a subscription.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

How much do they want??

Old 05-19-2023, 09:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

From Jag's website, $120 for 12 months.

InControl Remote & Protect (12 months) (currently installed in your vehicle) $120.00
Jagur InControl Remote Premium & Protect subscription includes:
  • Jaguar Remote Premium Smartphone App *New version now available to download*
  • SOS Emergency Call
  • Stolen Vehicle Locator
More about this subscription:

You’ll find Jaguar InControl Remote Premium makes life easier when it really counts.

The Jaguar InControl Remote smartphone app lets you prepare for a trip by checking fuel levels and range remotely. Your Remote smartphone app enables you to interact with your vehicle, allowing you to lock/unlock the doors and remotely preheat or precool the vehicle using the climate and remote engine start functionality. You can find your vehicle in a crowded car park and check if you have left doors or windows open. You can also download your journeys to assist in claiming mileage expenses.

In the unlikely event of a breakdown, Optimized Jaguar Assistance will connect the customer to a 3rd party provider using the bCall button. The service provider will inform the customer if support is available (e.g. through a Jaguar Extended Warranty), or you may be offered a pay on demand service directly with the provider. You will still be able to connect to a roadside operator without a subscription.

In a critical situation, SOS Emergency Call will bring the emergency services to your exact location. If you are involved in an accident in which the vehicle's airbags deploy you will automatically be put in touch with professional help.

Jaguar Stolen Vehicle Locator uses GPS tracking technology helps police locate your vehicle in the unlikely event of theft.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

My warranty is coming up, so it would seem that's what it's tied, to. But there's plenty of other confusion.
Why is it $120 for some, and $69 for others?

I cannot imagine this being worth the price. Especially with a manual that can't start/stop.

Anyone have a quick summary of why it's indispensable to you, and why you'd pay for it?

Old 02-29-2024, 03:10 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I let it expire in my XE. Their notification did NOT say that I would lose traffic and TuneIn radio (streaming), which I did. Annoying. I have a data SIM card, which I had assumed could be used for these, but apparently not. I have CarPlay if I want traffic.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:36 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
My warranty is coming up, so it would seem that's what it's tied, to.
InControl is independent of the warranty, but I suspect they coincidentally expire at the same time. I renewed my InControl but not my warranty - there's the tracker part (most expensive) and the remote part (cheaper). If you look at the Remote app: More -> Subscriptions you'll see what you've got and when they expire. I have Pro Services (which doesn't seem to have an expiry date), Protect, Remote Premium and Secure Tracker (aka InControl Secure). Each of them has a description of what they provide, but there seems to be quite an overlap so a bit confusing.

I use my remote start frequently - it's very useful for warming the car up nicely, and the Journey logging is handy, too. For me.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried my darndest to get a better price than the $120/year…but in the end just caved. I do use the remote start in the winters but mainly in the 110 summers here in Vegas…my Lexus RCF was the same way, have to pay to play with some of these car brands now 😥

Old 03-01-2024, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

It does seem a smartphone handset covers everything, frankly. I'm not even that cheap a dude, but it doesn't seem to make sense.
(I'm tired of calling these supercomputers "phones", it belies the sheer magnitude of reasons we use them, and how addicted they can make us)...

Old 03-02-2024, 04:47 AM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I cannot imagine this being worth the price. Especially with a manual that can't start/stop.
I had this in my XF (auto) and missed the remote start in the FT manual. I now park inside the garage at work and at home so that helps. I paid for it because of the trip tracking and location. It was worth the $69 to me. I paid for it in the replacement auto as well. Complained about it, which was the start of this thread and true to Jag owner but I really do like the tracking.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:16 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MellieR
I had this in my XF (auto) and missed the remote start in the FT manual. I now park inside the garage at work and at home so that helps. I paid for it because of the trip tracking and location. It was worth the $69 to me. I paid for it in the replacement auto as well. Complained about it, which was the start of this thread and true to Jag owner but I really do like the tracking.
I feel pretty much the same way, that is, because we have the manual cars and don't get remote start the benefits of In Control are rather dulled (thus, the $70/yr pricing). However, I have notice recently that my local dealership has been trying to entice service work by offering a year's free In Control with any dealership service in excess of (I think it's) $300. Which isn't very hard to do.

Old 03-04-2024, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Oh wild... Manuals get that discount? How would I go about getting that? It's still a bit spendy in lieu of an airtag for location, etc... I'm not cynical enough to think my car would ever be stolen (where I live, it's a cheap and audacious vehicle that the real supercar and luxury car owners would laugh at LOL It's all Bentley, Rolls, McLaren, Ferarri, Classics, etc it is absurd). The phone mimics enough.

I need to dive back into all it does, but if you don't subscribe, do you also lose the ability to remote lock / unlock?

Old 03-04-2024, 12:13 PM

You especially loose the ability to remote anything. I’m keeping up with the subscription on the ‘18 Pace because it’s 4G and works rather well plus it’s my wife’s car. My ‘17 Pace and the ‘16 Type are downgraded to what’s left of 2G and are a bit flaky on the connection. For some reason the subscription on the Type runs until 2026 but the subscription on my Pace just expired and I removed it as a vehicle on the APP.

I suppose hiding an AirTag in the vehicle would be of some benefit.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:51 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Went to Jag website to see if my car has in control and this is what they asked me, so how can I tell if my car has Incontrol?
I have the base Meridian system.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:22 AM

Start with the US site: https://incontrol.jaguar.com/jaguar-...319AB5745DD2F7

My salesman at Lake Bluff registered an account when we bought the 35t. I think you can create your own account. When I had the site look up the VIN on the 35t it accepted right away. Then I went back in and put in the F-Types VIN it showed still connected to a PO's account. Had to go to the dealer to get the PO disconnected from that VIN. This was for all of the Remote functions. I have never bothered with any of the car's infotainment APP's, my iPhone is 10X's smarter and more up to date.

Old 03-10-2024, 08:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Not sure when InControl first appeared, but I think after your MY15.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:11 PM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

In Control was a 2016 feature.

You will see these buttons above the rearview mirror