Sponsored by:

V6 Pulley Identification

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Question V6 Pulley Identification

HI guys,

Figure I would ask here since you guys seem to play around with the pulley sizes on the V6 motors.

How do you identify which blower pulley size is on your V6 or V6S ,etc? I am trying to find out if my pulley on my XE is the same as the non S V6 Type or not.
I am unsure if I am running the 13 psi or 15 psi boost level since I just got the car and haven't fooled with it just yet.

The reason why I ask as I plan to buy the tune and lower pulley but only if I already have the bigger pulley on this motor, otherwise I will need that also.

I am told the XE has the same drivetrain as the V6 (340hp) F-Type but not sure which pulley is on it for sure, same goes fore the F-Pace as those are the 380-hp variant.

Anyway I can check part numbers maybe for all 3 of the above mentioned and see if they are the same or different an go from there or is there a measurement you guys know already that I can do to find out for sure?

The guys win the XE section don't know much about this car yetis I came over to you guys since you have gotten it figured out already.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

You will not even find the upper pulleys in the parts list, as they come only as a part of the snout assembly since the are such a pain in the *** to remove and replace. On the F-Type: Both the V6 and V6S come with a 62mm upper OEM pulley. All the V8 models come with a 66mm upper OEM pulley. The smallest aftermarket upper pulley that can be installed is a 60.5mm (fits all units), so no real benefit for the V6. The lower crankcase OEM pulley is the same size on all engines ( 152mm). You can find aftermarket pulley's in a 162mm size and a 170mm size (the largest size that safely fits).

Hope that helps

Old 11-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You will not even find the upper pulleys in the parts list, as they come only as a part of the snout assembly since the are such a pain in the *** to remove and replace. On the F-Type: Both the V6 and V6S come with a 62mm upper OEM pulley. All the V8 models come with a 66mm upper OEM pulley. The smallest aftermarket upper pulley that can be installed is a 60.5mm (fits all units), so no real benefit for the V6. The lower crankcase OEM pulley is the same size on all engines ( 152mm). You can find aftermarket pulley's in a 162mm size and a 170mm size (the largest size that safely fits).

Hope that helps
So is it safe to assume that all the XE, F -Pace and F -Type V6s have the same blower pulley regardless of the 340/380 hp output?

And to just change the crank pulley only to get the max boost out of them without overdriving the blower?

What about balancing issues with the aftermarket lower pulley? For $800 I would think it would be a harmonic balancer like the SFI ones I use on my Supra, etc?

\Does the lower pulley overdrive all staring, alt, etc items? IS a new belt needed if you just do the lower pulley? I was able to keep my stock belt on my XFR when doing the upper pulley but I am asking on the V6 setup now.

My plan once I find all the facts out is to buy the VSwitch tune and lower pulley for my maximum safe power & lowest dealer detectable mod.

Please advise

Old 11-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigCat09
So is it safe to assume that all the XE, F -Pace and F -Type V6s have the same blower pulley regardless of the 340/380 hp output?

And to just change the crank pulley only to get the max boost out of them without overdriving the blower?

What about balancing issues with the aftermarket lower pulley? For $800 I would think it would be a harmonic balancer like the SFI ones I use on my Supra, etc?

\Does the lower pulley overdrive all staring, alt, etc items? IS a new belt needed if you just do the lower pulley? I was able to keep my stock belt on my XFR when doing the upper pulley but I am asking on the V6 setup now.

My plan once I find all the facts out is to buy the VSwitch tune and lower pulley for my maximum safe power & lowest dealer detectable mod.

Please advise
1. Yes, that is safe to assume.
2. Yes, you will want to install the +18 mm pulley to maximize boost without over driving the SC .
3. The OEM harmonic balancer remains in place. The pulley is bolted to the face of the balancer.
4. The SC belt drives only the SC. Accessories are all driven off a different belt.
5. The overdrive pulley will require a larger belt. Unfortunately, the right size belt is not available with double-sided grooves. The grooved tensioning idler will need to be replaced with a smooth idler, but this can be done in less than five minutes. The pulley kit will come with the pulley, idler, and belt.
6. The tune will need to take account for the 19 to 20 PSI boost to take full advantage of the pulley without throwing codes. You may have to source the tune from Velocity AP or Eurotoys as if they are the only two tuners that I am aware of that have worked with the +18 mm pulley. The others are using a +10 mm pulley.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-23-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
This is the first I've heard of VSwitch. Anyone around here have any experience with them?

Old 11-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

The VSwitch is very similar to the device that VAP sends to you.

The following users liked this post:
Inspector-G (11-23-2016)