F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6-S dumping raw fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by awjens
First of all I have a lot of cars. To suggest I call my insurance and ask them to pay anything is absurd. I didn't even turn in the flatbed.

I haven't had an auto damage claim in 15 years, why would I claim something that had nothing to do with any fault of my own. Then let them have cause to raise my rates over a repair bill by an obviously flawed automobile.

People on here post why its impossible for this reason or that. I guarantee none of the people making those claims are any kind of engineer. I am a PE. I testify in product liability cases as an expert witness. So with that said if any other engineer can explain why this is impossible please chime in. So that's why the $5k challenge. Its simple put your money where your mouths are.

Why would I hide anything? Seriously people, call Jaguar, give them your VIN. Maybe your car is updated with different injectors. If so move on. If you have an early 2014 F-Type do some homework. don't shoot the messenger. This car is under serial 15000. V6-S. IT HAS A PROBLEM.

And there will be further clarity FYI. The car is in the shop right now. Just not Jaguars.

Truth be told there are hundreds of shops with repair technicians with much more experience that those at JLR.

This would be the equivalent of letting a crime suspect investigate his own crime. They declined to come to my home and see it.

In the end I will know what happened. Those that haven't left crappy comments can PM me when its over.
As suspected - you wrote a lot of words, but no further material information, or information of any use whatsoever.

And with that.. I'm out of this extraordinarily ridiculous thread.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Now, now...don't go fueling the desires of people to get into a fiery debate.
All this animosity is giving me the vapors.

mbelanger (04-18-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

This is a severe fire hazard. It isn't going anywhere until JLR answers some questions. I am looking to see if any others caught fire. This is a low mileage car.
So, contrary to your post above that infers your vehicle caught fire '...'any OTHERS caught fire...", there never was an ACTUAL fire as originally reported. Rather, there was a possibility of fire IF the excess fuel was ignited. OK, got it but you really should have said that in the first place. No wonder there are no pictures of the fire. It never existed.

Now, as to a faulty injector and reams of others experiencing the same thing... if you say so. None of us here have heard anything like that so please do point us to those other threads as some other early '14 owners here may have an interest in learning more about an early production anomalies.

Please do come back on here and let the group know what your indy guy can contribute regarding replacement injectors.

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-16-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I do have a video of the fuel running out, and I am going to post it on youtube.
Was this video made before or after the "fire"?

Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar F-Type dumping raw fuel and fire

Here's the raw fuel running out video....

Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The video title clearly says fire. There's actually no signs of any fire, just some soot laden liquid dripping on the floor.

WTF?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Please stop saying raw fuel. The alternative would be refined fuel? Just say gasoline, if this is what you contend the fluid to be.

I do note that the liquid appears to be coming out of only one tailpipe. And that side is also producing more smoke. Perhaps just an artifact of the angle of filming.

Please answer directly, once and for all...what, if anything, caught fire? It appears that there is something, can't tell what, charred at the edge of your garage apron.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

I am a PE. I testify in product liability cases as an expert witness. So with that said if any other engineer can explain why this is impossible please chime in.
An engineer who doesn't know how ICEs work.

FType17 (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

This would be the equivalent of letting a crime suspect investigate his own crime. They declined to come to my home and see it.
I disagree with this assessment. It's not a crime: it's a (potential) warranty claim.

They have no obligation to send a representative to your home.

They have a responsibility to investigate when the vehicle is brought to their facility, and if they determine it's a defect in workmanship, materials, or design, to repair it. If they find otherwise, they have a responsibility to provide the finding of their investigation and an estimate for repairs.

You do not have a responsibility to have the work done at the dealership if they determine it is not going to be covered, although you may be responsible for the cost of the investigation if you take the vehicle back without having repairs done. I believe that depends on the laws in your state, but my repair business is decades behind me.

The following 4 users liked this post by lizzardo:
JgaXkr (04-17-2018), ndabunka (04-16-2018), SinF (04-17-2018), Uncle Fishbits (04-19-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
Please stop saying raw fuel. The alternative would be refined fuel? Just say gasoline, if this is what you contend the fluid to be.

I do note that the liquid appears to be coming out of only one tailpipe. And that side is also producing more smoke. Perhaps just an artifact of the angle of filming.

Please answer directly, once and for all...what, if anything, caught fire? It appears that there is something, can't tell what, charred at the edge of your garage apron.
Why does it matter to you what caught fire? I never said the car caught fire. I said the car started a fire.

The charred part is were the fire was. The majority of the fuel ran out the slope of the garage and then to the right. People open your eyes, it is gasoline dripping out dripping on the floor. This is AFTER the fire. It ran across the floor, out of the garage towards the house. The dark black is where the fire was burning and to the right out of the video. I didn't take a video to show the damage in the garage, I took the video to show what the car did. The charred part of the garage apron and to the right is where the pooled gasoline burned and started the fire.

First it was impossible for fuel to run out of the tailpipe, now you see it in the video. Water does not disperse like this. It would form droplets. This is clearly gasoline and in the bottom of the picture is where the fire was burning.

So for all the people that don't believe raw fuel can run out, there is the proof. If it happened to this one it can happen to another.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I disagree with this assessment. It's not a crime: it's a (potential) warranty claim.

They have no obligation to send a representative to your home.

They have a responsibility to investigate when the vehicle is brought to their facility, and if they determine it's a defect in workmanship, materials, or design, to repair it. If they find otherwise, they have a responsibility to provide the finding of their investigation and an estimate for repairs.

You do not have a responsibility to have the work done at the dealership if they determine it is not going to be covered, although you may be responsible for the cost of the investigation if you take the vehicle back without having repairs done. I believe that depends on the laws in your state, but my repair business is decades behind me.
Its simple... It called product liability. Has absolutely nothing to do with repairing the vehicle. I could care less about the cost of the repair. This problem IS A LIABILITY.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
It seems that the OP may be trying to set up online "evidence" for a case against JLR so that they will be pressured into either taking the car back or compensating him for it, especially now that it's just out of warranty.

Post #1: “Before I send it to Jaguar...” meaning Jaguar has not inspected the car.
Post #5: “It isn’t going anywhere until JLR answers some questions”
Post #35: “I invited them to my home.”..."They declined. They have seen all they will see of this car.”
OP intentionally seems to be making it difficult if not impossible for JLR to actually inspect the car properly. Why? Why not flatbed it to the dealer IMMEDIATELY, like so many others have said??

Post #10: “EXTREMELY dangerous situation. One that warrants limited cooperation.” In what universe does this make any sense?? A situation like the one OP is describing should warrant the UTMOST cooperation.

Also in post #10, OP mentions a certain photograph sent to JLR via certified mail. Let's see it, if OP is so concerned with this incident happening to others.

OP mentions "a incident occurred (sic)" in post #2, a "severe fire hazard" in post #5, then finally states that "it started a fire" in post #15.

OP keeps stating that he wishes to find out if this has happened to others...the answer seems to be a resounding NO.

If OP is indeed concerned that everyone's FType is a ticking timebomb, he should make all the details of the alleged incident crystal clear.

I suspect he was hoping to rile up the members of JaguarForums to somehow put more pressure on JLR. If it turns out OP is actually telling the truth, I'll be the first to eat my hat. But this all just stinks like raw fuel.

Get your hat out... I don't need to put pressure on JLR. Everyone said it cannot dump raw fuel, unburnt fuel, whatever you want to call it. It was running out. Like I said if the car was at freeway speeds and this happened by the time I would have pulled over it probably would have looked like the burning Ferrari. That fuel dripping out would have caught fire probably in the 600-700 degree C catalytic converter.

Now if fuel dripping out of a tailpipe on a modern fuel injected vehicle under 19k miles doesn't concern you then move on. The car that everyone said cannot leak fuel out of the tailpipe did in fact pour significant amounts of fuel while idling in a short period of time. I only started it for 10 seconds to take the video. Next if the injector fails and it dumps so much fuel that it hydra-locks you have the potential for a complete engine removal, bent rods, etc.

Who gives a crap what started on fire. I for one don't care. The fact is a trouble free low miles fuel injected vehicle started a fire while in my garage. And then the service rep was "coached" on what to say to me when I asked. Then after the certified letter she said she didn't get the picture and she needed pictures. One hour later a second individual called and said THEY had the picture, the service rep did not. When I asked why they did not give the picture to the service rep, they didn't have an answer.

So copy all the quotes you want.

The fact is the precious Jaguar everyone is trying to defend failed and started a fire. Don't start yours in the garage, and if your injectors/fuel pumps fail don't use this post to show Jaguar, just buy them like I did. This car is under warranty.

Where is the post from all the naysayers about Jaguar/Bosch changing the injectors? Nobody has any information? No comments? ONLY silence.

Now ask yourselves how much it costs to make an engineering change on a fuel injection component on a modern age vehicle. If they are indeed faulty wouldn't you want to know?

I don't blame the component for failing although there is concern why they changed it. And if they made a change should it be applied to other vehicles or is Jaguar just hoping they make it thru the warranty period? Home many vehicles were manufactured with this injector. This car's VIN is under 15000. No fuel injectors should fail under 19k miles.

My car had a problem and I shared it with others. THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS BOARD. If you chose to ignore this that's your business. Bury your head in the sand and see sunshine.

Whatever the outcome YOU will not hear the final resolution. That I guarantee.

Last edited by awjens; 04-17-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

You're a weird dude.

The following 4 users liked this post by Nati:
Don1954 (04-17-2018), JgaXkr (04-18-2018), mbelanger (04-18-2018), Uncle Fishbits (04-19-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:54 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I guarantee none of the people making those claims are any kind of engineer. I am a PE. I testify in product liability cases as an expert witness. So with that said if any other engineer can explain why this is impossible please chime in.
I actually believe you. Admittedly, this is very rare and unlikely, but anything is possible. I wonder if you have a dead hole (or more) that is allowing the fuel to come out (possibly in addition to a bad injector). I get where you are coming from and would be livid too, especially if the car indirectly caused a fire.

That said, I suspect things were quite aggressive/hostile from the start of your phone call. As soon as you mentioned fire It seems like Jaguar went into full cya mode. Mention you are a product liability expert witness and it all makes sense. Frankly, as soon as that happens I would advise a client (or a standard service rep) to stop directly talking to you as well.

The following 3 users liked this post by caviarjag:
dmchao (04-17-2018), ndabunka (04-17-2018), SinF (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

The way you have approached this is beyond weird. The continuous deliberate obstruction is absurd, and at total odds with your stated aim of warning other owners.

The car that everyone said cannot leak fuel out of the tailpipe did in fact pour significant amounts of fuel while idling in a short period of time. I only started it for 10 seconds to take the video.
The fact is a trouble free low miles fuel injected vehicle started a fire while in my garage.
The fact is the precious Jaguar everyone is trying to defend failed and started a fire.
Don't start yours in the garage.
Awjens, please can you answer three questions:

1) Why did you restart your car inside your garage after it caused a dangerous fire?

Who would intentionally start an engine in a confined space with significant amounts of liquid petrol/gasoline running all over the floor?! A simple static shock from your clothing or the surroundings could ignite it. You clearly believe you have a vehicle with a fault in its electrical systems. Starting it like that is an extremely reckless thing to do. I'm struggling to believe you would actually do it.

2) Why did you frame that video to avoid showing anything past what appears to be your open garage door threshold?

Presumably you have photos of the aftermath of the fire you want to share with us to go with your warning? Pictures speak a thousand words. How badly was the garage door damaged? Presumably the fire was outside because otherwise it would have engulfed the car, those curtains, the garage, and any attached buildings rapidly, but in your earlier photos there is no sign of any fire outside of the door threshold.

3) What was it that actually started the fire?

Despite your assertion that your "F-Type dumping raw fuel out of the exhaust ignited a fire", petrol doesn't spontaneously combust, so what actually ignited it? How did you extinguish it in a way that has left your garage floor so clean and with no apparent damage? Was it a flash fire that self-extinguished?

I've seen the aftermath of a vehicle fire where petrol ran from a car across a concrete carriageway. The amount of foam used to extinguish it was insane - it got everywhere.

A few comments...

I have a good friend who works in the forensic sciences and whose day job is split between visiting scenes of fire to determine the causes, and visiting business/LAs to advise on how to prevent them. If you have any other photos or videos you would like me to pass on I am happy to do so if it helps. You can PM me with your email address and I will pass it on. Sadly he is UK-based, but fire is fire all the same.

The black mark where the liquid is dripping is clearly not a burn mark - it is soot that runs from the exhaust in solution (usually condensation). I get it on my drive from various cars and it looks identical with the clear spot in the middle where the dripping is concentrated, a sharp ring, and a slight fade to the grade. You can see where the soot has run out of the right hand tail pipe in your video, and your earlier photo from the underside shows it as well.

Now it could well be petrol that carried it and not water from condensation as petrol is excellent at shifting exhaust soot (I use it on a rag to clean my tips). It is only one mark, not two. You just can't tell that from the video what the liquid is from the way it splashes as we don't know the tension of the floor surface, however it would have been very easy to prove what it was. Just place a piece of normal white office paper under the drip and it will go slightly translucent with petrol as it more readily soaks into the gaps between the cellulose fibres and lets the light through.

What tow truck driver allowed you to drive (or pull) a vehicle actively leaking petrol onto the back of their truck? Apart from being recklessly dangerous to drip fuel onto public roads, in the UK that would land you in a police station. The vehicle should have been immobilised, the tank either drained (if leaking) or hose closed and a tray of sand placed under any drip points.

I recall that NAS-spec vehicles have a dedicated breather pipe in the fuel filler neck for emissions reduction (maybe just a Californian rule, I don't know.) Could a fault with that allow fuel to exit the tank, maybe via syphon if the pipe became detached at the top? I don't know if that could trigger the DTCs you've seen (have you decided on the final list yet? What were they?)

If you are telling the truth, which you clearly believe you are, it would only take you five minutes to post up a couple of contextual pictures and a brief list of bullet point answers to the questions you have been asked.

Don't waste your time on conspiracy theories because you heard another conversation going on in a busy call centre. JLR are not sending out squads of ninja mechanics to covertly replace everyone's fuel injectors (which are used on hundreds of models, not just JLR vehicles, with supersessions routine). JLR like every other car maker in this day and age will always come forward and issue recalls or service bulletins when needed no matter the cost. They haven't for this issue, which answers your question "have others experience this". If you want to help, be helpful. Let JLR inspect your car and see if there is a dangerous fault present. Remember the saying "you get what you give". If you put obstacles in your way you will have to climb over obstacles.

Last edited by xdave; 04-17-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Why does it matter to you what caught fire? I never said the car caught fire. I said the car started a fire.

The charred part is were the fire was. The majority of the fuel ran out the slope of the garage and then to the right. People open your eyes, it is gasoline dripping out dripping on the floor. This is AFTER the fire. It ran across the floor, out of the garage towards the house. The dark black is where the fire was burning and to the right out of the video. I didn't take a video to show the damage in the garage, I took the video to show what the car did. The charred part of the garage apron and to the right is where the pooled gasoline burned and started the fire.

First it was impossible for fuel to run out of the tailpipe, now you see it in the video. Water does not disperse like this. It would form droplets. This is clearly gasoline and in the bottom of the picture is where the fire was burning.

So for all the people that don't believe raw fuel can run out, there is the proof. If it happened to this one it can happen to another.
The liquid looks like water as stated many times already. The black looks like soot, the mix looking like what drips from tailpipes on just about all cars with a cold engine and exhaust system.

If you still want to insist that it's fuel and it can/did cause a fire, what would be the source of ignition?

Your story is making less and less sense.

Last edited by Mikey; 04-17-2018 at 10:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
mbelanger (04-18-2018), SinF (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Here's the raw fuel running out video....

https://youtu.be/kGvqWI185Hs
DEFINITELY not right for certain!
Although the volume of material is excessive, it does look a lot like water & water vapor coming out and is isolated to one side so if you had not stated that it was fuel, my 40 years of experience would have thought that a classic example of coolant leaking/seeping into the exhaust & recommend you have JLR verify that you don't have a blown head gasket on that side of the engine.

Your title of the YouTube video should be re-labeled as there is no "fire" in that video. I know you think the video shows a link to a "potential" fire but this is like someone posting a video of your bachelor party and calling the video "AWJENS Divorce"... premature and inaccurate at best. Consider renaming it to something more descriptive that will actually help browsers find the video like "Excessive F-Type exhaust moisture. Fuel or Water?"

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...google_rich_qa

You stated that you found replacement injectors so hopefully you have it all now resolved and have sent the bill to JLR for reimbursement. Please help this forum by letting others with early production VIN know where you got the injectors and the what they cost as well as the labor to replace. We expect that what happened to you was an isolated case as nobody has ever heard of anything even remotely close to this happening to any other F-Type but the more you post in these threads about the resolution, the better it will eventually help this community in the event it occurs to someone else.

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-17-2018 at 12:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ndabunka:
DuhCar (04-17-2018), SinF (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Well, AWJENS certainly seems familiar with and has a keen interest in fuel systems:

Boosted Engines and CIS - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

CIS Injector Volume - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Last edited by ek993; 04-17-2018 at 11:44 AM.
SinF (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Too bad the exhaust valve is closed when the piston is going up so no fuel can escape until the 2nd stoke. You’d hydrolock first.
Yes, but...

If you still had air and ignition, some fuel would burn off and the rest would be dumped in vapor form out with exhaust gasses. It would not burn off because of lack of oxygen. Then it could condensate and/or ignite in the exhaust.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Its simple... It called product liability. Has absolutely nothing to do with repairing the vehicle. I could care less about the cost of the repair. This problem IS A LIABILITY.
You may have skimmed the words I wrote, but I don't think you took the time to comprehend them. You've started with presumption of guilt and immediately gone to conspiracy and cover-up. All that precludes having the manufacturer's representatives assess the situation and determine the root cause. That would be more helpful to the community than telling us all we're doomed to roast in a JaguarBQ.

I'm compulsively helpful by nature, but don't see that I can be of assistance here.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
mbelanger (04-18-2018), ndabunka (04-17-2018)

Quick Reply: V6-S dumping raw fuel