F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 or V8 Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default V6 or V8 Regrets

I was wondering everyones opinion on their purchases of v6 or v8. I know for myself I had to get the R because the whole point of this car for me was pure enjoyment and speed.

Is there anyone who regrets their choices and why did you pick v6 or v8?
Now after driving the R around I jump into my 4runner trd pro and it is just feels so slow now. I guess now a supercharger is needed for suv.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

If you want a manual, R is not an option

Old 01-16-2016, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I love my V8 vert and I can't see changing it. If anything my wife is pushing to get the V6 coupe as well.....that's a bit of overkill but I do appreciate the qualities of both. Ultimately it's so subjective in then long run as each of us has varied reasons for liking one or the other or...both.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 962 Likes on 719 Posts

I don't regret the V6S. I wanted a manual transmission, but even with an automatic, I thought the V6S was more balanced and a better driver's car than the V8S. I loved the power of the 8 but in a set of ~45 mph S-turns I could feel the extra weight, and the extra power kept engaging the DSC and pulling throttle. I also thought the V8 exhaust note to be too much; just a bit uncouth. This is a daily driver for me, and I continue to be pleased with the decision.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,654 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Got the V6 because of needing an MT. Originally a bit disappointed in the power, but not no more! (Thank you VMax). Also disappointed in the clutch action, but in the process of fixing that.
I love this car.

The following users liked this post:
Buckingham (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Love my V8, and after 2.5 years I still wouldn't change a thing. It is just pure joy to drive - every time. I can't remember that I ever had a car with this much lasting pleasure. I have a feeling I might have felt the same way if I had a V6 ... but I'm completely content never finding out

Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I understand completely why some want the V8, however, our F-Type is my wife's Car really, it's her Daily Driver, so I got her the V6. I've only driven it a handful of times. I was the Passenger ( as usual ) the other night and introduced her to the Dynamic and Sports modes, I think this might have been a mistake.

Having said that, I think if I bought another for myself I would go with the V6 again, it really is plenty quick enough for what I would want it for.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:27 PM

I used to have a cls 550 and I thought that was plenty fast for me and I was happy with it.
Only reason I even found the f type r I was on a test drive with and Audi R8 v8. Then some mad man passes me screaming by in a black R doing easy 150mph. The sounds and speed coming from the jag was unreal. So I dropped the r8 off went down to look at R and once I test drove it was over. Jag had me pegged with exhaust and power. I was sold so easy!

Old 01-17-2016, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

I was looking for a "fun" car that was not my everyday car. I also used to drive 1000 ccm sportsbikes for more than 20 years, so I wanted a car were I could not use the throttle as a "on/off" switch, as I miss the challenge of having more power than what is useable in every situation.

The R has been spot on, and I love the challenge of making most out of all the power that is "on tap" when modulating the throttle and feeling the respons of this car.

Could not be more happy with the choice I made. And the car/engine is also great for longer drives when just cruising on low rpms at normal highway speeds.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:05 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I test drove four S-Types before buying a 3.0 and my suggestion is go drive some.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Our MY16 V8R RWD Cab is fantastic in every respect. This is after having a V6S Coupé long term, and having tracked the V6S and the V8S.

My only regret is that I couldn't quite afford/justify the Project 7 !!!
That said, I think I would have been too paranoid about leaving a P7 unattended in the supermarket car park!

Oh, and I would have liked to have the ''air scarf'' that Merc uses in their cabs, as it gets pretty darn cold here in Blighty...!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel

Oh, and I would have liked to have the ''air scarf'' that Merc uses in their cabs, as it gets pretty darn cold here in Blighty...!
+1 on the air scarf. Great on cool summer evenings with the top down. Just as good on cold winter mornings getting electric heat into the cabin quickly. That's the main thing that I miss on my SLK.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

OK OP, so a quick tally here is in order. I'm sure there are exceptions but the vast majority of V6 owners have no regrets, and the same is true w/ V8 owners, at least w/ regard to engine choice. Thus, one, most likely, can't go wrong, but the human tendency to avoid cognitive dissonance, no doubt, plays a large role.

I previously owned a number of "monster" V8s for a couple of decades and was ready to go a different direction. I am thoroughly delighted with the significantly lighter, perfectly balanced, V6 version with a lovely sporting and exotic exhaust note. The differences in weight and balance were noticeable to me on my comparison drives of the two versions.

There hasn't been a single instant in two years of ownership that I wished I'd gone the other way.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

MY16 S AWD here. I can't help going back to the v8 I test drove. that neck jerk factor just isn't there in the V6. I truly do want to bond with and love my v6, but it feels forced. maybe I'm being unrealistic because a v8 would be dangerous in slow traffic and I'm not a track goer. want someone to grab me by the collar and yell at me that the V6 is perfect...lol 😬

Old 01-17-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by diablomkii
MY16 S AWD here. I can't help going back to the v8 I test drove. that neck jerk factor just isn't there in the V6. I truly do want to bond with and love my v6, but it feels forced. maybe I'm being unrealistic because a v8 would be dangerous in slow traffic and I'm not a track goer. want someone to grab me by the collar and yell at me that the V6 is perfect...lol 😬
When commenting, I'd completely forgotten about the V6S AWD, which I have not driven. However, I'm not surprised that it feels very tame.

My comments were exclusively about the RWD V6, in which it's possible to toss the rear-end around, break traction, power steer, etc. With the ZF 8-speed, it's not an "on-off' switch either. If I'd wanted an AWD F-Type, which I really don't, it would have been the V8.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by diablomkii
That was our thoughts after having spent a significant time with both the V8S and the V6S; the V6S has to be worked harder and certainly doesn't have anywhere near the 'grunt' of the V8S.

I found myself using all of the V6S's power after a while, and I found it a great car, but tame in comparison, and something that I would eventually want to upgrade with regards to power.

As we spent our life savings on this beastie, it was a difficult choice, obviously the V6S was cheaper to buy, and thus much more attractive, but would I have held onto it for a lifetime and felt the continued respect for the power? the answer was no.

I had an interesting chat with Ian Callum (the man behind the design of the F-Type as well as many other cars) a month or so ago, and even he shrugged at the extra weight of the AWD used in his design amongst other interesting snippets!

The V6S, maybe a smidge lighter on the nose, but that's about it.
If you want ''We have Lift Off'' neck snapping as you say, acceleration/fun, and a totally gentle, and by no means dangerous in slow traffic (my wife can vouch for that, as she has never driven anything that can do 0-60 faster than 13 sec and is pretty timid!), then the V8S or R is the kiddie, without shadow of a doubt.

BTW, I'm no track goer. We love pootling around the country lanes, and having a blast on the twisty back roads of the South West GB.

Good luck with your choice, once bitten by the F in the V8 guise, it's difficult to look back, believe me.

The following users liked this post:
chylld (01-27-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Santacruzmg,

I previously owned a 2015 V6 Base and upgraded to a 2016 AWD R. I have no regrets on owning either model, but do prefer the R. They are both fantastic cars, but for different reasons. It really depends what your motivation is.

The link to the thread below can give you some further insights. We had a good discussion on this topic before I made the switch.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...g-v6-r-147296/

Old 01-17-2016, 03:35 PM

One thing I have learned with cars is do not settle for something that is not 100% of what you want. Before I bought my R I had a cls 550 and after awhile driving it I wished I got the cls 63. It didn't make sense to put a charger on my cls550. So take your time and get exactly what you want or you will be kicking urself after the newness goes away. Then you will want what you didn't get in the first place.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the V6 because I thought the V8 would be too loud for my neighbors (live in 3 story townhouse, so the driveway really enhances the exhaust). Looking back, I should have said screw them and gotten the V8.

The following 2 users liked this post by kingkong79:
chylld (01-27-2016), Uncle Fishbits (01-20-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
+1 on the air scarf. Great on cool summer evenings with the top down. Just as good on cold winter mornings getting electric heat into the cabin quickly. That's the main thing that I miss on my SLK.
+1 on the air scarf. I have it on my SLK as well and overtime it's the main thing I like about the Merc. The FTYPE has the rest of my love.

Quick Reply: V6 or V8 Regrets