Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velar

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Velar

F Type in for service! First real repairs in 5+ years, new water pump(bearing), wonky drivers side door handle(replaced), and a ticking not yet found(pulley?), and normal service. Repairs covered by extended warranty. They gave me a top line RR Velar, P380 awd. It drives great but stickers for $75k. The digital and infortainment are top line if not a little complicated, so it will eventually migrate to all Jags. Everything is graphic! This a RR car!

Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I had one as a loaner earlier this year, also a P380 AWD. It looked very modern and inside, although far more menus and options than I cared to explore. It didn't feel as big as the Discovery when driving, but it is definitely big. The bottom of the door glass is taller than the top of the roof (hardtop) of my Miata.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I also got one as a loaner whilst my F was in for annual service. Nice RR but I still prefer my LR3. Now just have to see how to get my service advisor to wangle a i-Pace in May when next service is due ;-)

Old 12-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I got one as a loaner as well but that one was the diesel version. Was very impressed with it overall and the pickup was actually quite astonishing with the diesel. My wife wants the full power version in Byron Blue with the copper accents as her next SUV. I need to drive one again soon in marginal weather to see how it does.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Hopefully they fix the gremlins by then.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...nce-20k-update

On occasion, the screens have even frozen up and ignored both touch inputs and those from the steering-wheel controls until the Velar is shut off and allowed to sit for a few minutes before restarting. "The Velar makes me swear in front of my children, which I rarely do," one driver wrote in the logbook.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:59 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I dont' think I'll buy another new car from Jaguar, the depreciation is just insane. Wait 1-2 years and get a barely used car for an amazing price. Only bought my current one new because I got a crazy discounted rate.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:42 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I dont' think I'll buy another new car from Jaguar, the depreciation is just insane. Wait 1-2 years and get a barely used car for an amazing price. Only bought my current one new because I got a crazy discounted rate.
This. I bought my F-Type for roughly half of what it listed for new just three years ago. The car only has 19K on it and is a prime example, no regrets. It's just not worth it to buy new unless you just have the cash to burn.

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Five plus years. You must have one of the earliest ones around. Ah, the water pump. JLR should have a special warranty for it.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Can anyone explain why they drop in price so quickly? I have never heard of another brand to drop in price so drastically.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
Can anyone explain why they drop in price so quickly? I have never heard of another brand to drop in price so drastically.
Looked at Maserati depreciation lately?

Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM

Why? I presume you are asking about the F, but deservedly or not Jaguar has a poor reputation in the marketplace for reliability. I have to admit my own experience bears that out. But for me reliability is not terribly important because I use the car so little and have other vehicles that I can and do rely on. So Jaguar is starting from a problematic base. Then you have the fact that the F is a niche vehicle. There aren't a lot of people looking for them new. So when you compound the those two factors you have heavy up front depreciation. A further complicating factor is that as automobiles become more and more high technology machines, it is harder and harder for a smaller manufacturer like JLR to keep up. Sergio Marchionnne (RIP) said you couldn't survive as a significant automobile manufacturer on less than 6 million units a year.

But if a Jaguar is what you want, take the heavy depreciation as a gift.

If you think the MY15 F's experienced some serious depreciation, wait for the 4-bangers to hit the used market. A performance car w/o performance. I expect they will be classed with used Miatas.

Last edited by Suaro; 12-17-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Sergio Marchionnne (RIP) said you couldn't survive as a significant automobile manufacturer on less than 6 million units a year.
RIP Tesla.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Very early, vin# K01100.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

I also have a Maser, our 2nd. Yes they deprciate but 85% are leased. As for buying timing is everything, I got$18500 off our second one, $10k of which was Maser money.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Looked at Maserati depreciation lately?
Nothing depreciates quite like luxury.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Can anyone explain why they drop in price so quickly?
While this topic is a bit more complex, Jags depreciate so much because they deservingly have a reputation for bad reliability.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Jags depreciate so much because they deservingly have a reputation for bad reliability.
Deservedly? I have to disagree - I'm on my fourth Jag and have found them all to be as reliable as my 2001 Nissan Almera, which had a reputation as one of the most reliable cars on the market. My 2001 XK8 needed a new coolant tank at 60,000 miles, 2004 XKR burst an oil pipe at 90,000 miles, and my 2010 XKR needed the (Ford!) water pump replaced - apart from that just routine maintenance. And tyres, obviously.

Not had the F-Type long enough to judge reliability, but it hasn't let me down in the 6 months I've had it so far.

The following users liked this post:
SS4PK (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Why? I presume you are asking about the F, but deservedly or not Jaguar has a poor reputation in the marketplace for reliability. I have to admit my own experience bears that out. But for me reliability is not terribly important because I use the car so little and have other vehicles that I can and do rely on. So Jaguar is starting from a problematic base. Then you have the fact that the F is a niche vehicle. There aren't a lot of people looking for them new. So when you compound the those two factors you have heavy up front depreciation. A further complicating factor is that as automobiles become more and more high technology machines, it is harder and harder for a smaller manufacturer like JLR to keep up. Sergio Marchionnne (RIP) said you couldn't survive as a significant automobile manufacturer on less than 6 million units a year.

But if a Jaguar is what you want, take the heavy depreciation as a gift.

If you think the MY15 F's experienced some serious depreciation, wait for the 4-bangers to hit the used market. A performance car w/o performance. I expect they will be classed with used Miatas.
Thanks, yes depreciation is a gift, and I agree the 4-banger is a silly idea. As for reliability, you have to pay to play.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Very early, vin# K01100.
Thank you. Mine is <10,000 and I was concerned about getting one built before they got all the bugs out. But if you made it 5+ years without repairs on #1100 I am encouraged. Just for the record my water pump was replaced under the CPO warranty. No questions asked. I presume JLR expects them to fail, just a question of when.

Question: When was the water pump issue fixed?

Old 12-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

I wasn't sure that I wanted to reply to this but I decided to do so.

Reliability
Contrary to some posts earlier, I have experienced great reliability on all my JLR cars (2104+). My company has a Fleet agreement with JLR (and BMW) so we have a large number of JLR products. I personally have 3 Jaguars and two Range Rovers, one is a Velar P380 R-Dynamic. Prior to that, I had a RR Sport Supercharged. The only real issues on any of the 3 Range Rovers over the last 5 years were an overhead console swap because the Bluetooth Microphone was rattling and a recall for a problem related to poor crimping of some pins in the transmission wiring connection. The XJL Supercharged had a number of Oxygen sensors changed and a water pump leak. One of the F-Type had a third light (brake light above the rear window) replaced because there was water in it.
By contrast, the BMWs have been a royal pain, I3 Rex, i8 and Z4 35is. The i3 spends more time in the shop for stupid electronic issues than in my garage. The i8 is also afflicted by all sorts of electronic gremlins. The Z4 (wife's summer commuter car) has been mostly reliable with ride height sensor swapped twice (the failure causes the headlights to aim very low), battery failure, one of the rear shocks leaking and 3 weeks to fix the "Convenience key less features". Basically the remote did not allow in pocket door unlocking nor engine starting.

Electronic Gizmos in the Velar
To much noise. I don't care for all the added toys. I only use the Dynamic setting screen once in a while (and it looks similar to ours). I like the digital dashboard but it was no big deal since the XJL has it already

I will say this, all Range Rovers are amazing in the snow. The advanced traction system is the best you can get. The Velar is a terrific vehicle, we had it since May of 2018 and it received a number of SW updates, but I cannot say anything bad about it

Depreciation

The depreciation is tied to the fact that most of the new Jaguars are leased. Banks set the residual and that dictates the value 36 months down the road. Off lease cars are usually 50% less than the MSRP

Last edited by FType17; 12-19-2018 at 02:44 PM.