F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

velocity or stp tuning which one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
Just one more question - the 0-60 time you quote is for the car in your signature - 22 psi and methanol injection and so on, not the result of a simple tune, isn't it?
No not at all. The tune, no matter what you pick VAP or STP will be a great start. Next I would always opt for the downpipes, VAP has a great set of 200Cell that will keep you in compliance with the law and pass emissions. Once you get to that point, you will start looking at increasing the boost pressure. Upper or lower pulley. The first is an easier job but the increase in performance isn't that great, the second is a tad more involving but brings a greater performance boost. Don't do both or you will end up with reduced efficiency and you will spin your supercharger at speeds that exceed the OEM max.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
LOL. A V6 with a 0-60MPH of 3.1sec has many with their panties in a bunch...... Yes I am indeed biased, because I am the owner and no it's not for everyone.

I'm genuinely interested in this STP tune, but so far the only person representing it is... um....

Nobody's 'panties are in a bunch' about VAP vs STP.

A simple question was asked: "which one", in a place where VAP is very familiar and STP is not so familiar... So the reactions are "who?"

You could help by showing us how good STP is in your opinion rather than telling others below "figure it out yourself".

Since you're so insightful and have one of their tunes.

You have the video... time it ;-) Or better yet, let's meet up at the track for a friendly wager ;-)
TBH You're bizarrely competitive about this and should know that both of those suggestions are silly... In a way that raises questions about your true motive IMO. Why not simply answer the OP's question rather than acting like you're trying to prove something or swing your **** around.

Another very competitive product would be awesome, if we just knew more about it.

Originally Posted by FullChat
Why not? Well...
1. The video does not show speed, so finding 60 mph would be hard. Is there even a launch and run to 60 in the video?
2. I'm 2,000 miles from your track in Connecticut. That's a little inconvenient.

On the other hand, You made a claim. You must have the timing slip if you know the 0-60 time. So, why not just post it and silence all your doubters? Wouldn't that be best for your company?

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 06-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 15FTypeR:
andykreb (06-18-2018), SinF (06-20-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
I'm genuinely interested in this STP tune, but so far the only person representing it is... um....

Nobody's 'panties are in a bunch'.

A simple question was asked: "which one", in a place where VAP is very familiar and STP is "who?" So the reactions are "who?"

You could help by showing us how good STP is in your opinion rather than telling others below "figure it out yourself".

Since you're so insightful and have one of their tunes.

TBH You're bizarrely competitive about this... In a way that raises questions about your true motive IMO. Why not simply answer the OP's question rather than acting like you're trying to prove something or swing your **** around.
Simply put, anyone that takes a moment to read the website will see that we are a dealer for Viezu as far as tunes go (plus we do in house tuning as needed). Viezu is a UK company that is in very familiar with the Jaguar F-Type, is dedicated to the F-Type (see Project Predator).

I recognize that personally I have been extremely poorly welcomed in this group for a variety of reasons, some downright dumb and within hate territory.

I own an F-Type, one that has had the engine out 3 times so far for modifications, my car has just hit 10K miles and it runs very well, unlike some that think of a highly modified engine and "not street-able" the fact that I drive it daily and often in Rallies shows otherwise.When I started my modifications, I did not look at bolt-ons, I put my background in racing and as an Automotive engineer to work.Results is all that matters to me. Not just power but the car as a whole, handling, braking etc. That is NOT something I would suggest to anyone that is not considering putting down a substantial amount of money and understanding the risks involved. Tuning is far more than an ECU remap but that's a start. Off the shelf tunes form Viezu or VAP are both from reputable companies. Bringing your car to Joe's Garage with a Dyno and have him hook up his KESS and tinker is something I would avoid. Bashing STP without knowing anything about it shows the value of the opinion and expertise.

In the forum I will gladly share technical know how but what is in my car, where parts are sourced from etc. is a blueprint to copy the hard work, R&D time and expenses that I decided to undertake for my own car is not something I will share in great details. Even when I shared pictures and explanations of where to locate the water/meth injectors I just received bashing back from people that had no clue, never did it and think that they have some supreme knowledge. I bet that if you asked the other companies providing tunes, you will not find more than a couple that have actually put their hands on the internals of the F-Type engines... Nor that actually extensively test their parts on track in the most brutal manners. With that said, many people have joined me in Rallies and are fully aware of what my car can do. Bashing and hate reflects usually on the source without any facts to back up the hate. In no way is this to be seen as an advertisement as I clearly spoke well of VAP, and there are other sources such as Arden etc.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-23-2023)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I can easily see a 3.1s 0-60 with a 3.4L bore and a 22 psi boost. About the same power/wt ratio as an SVR.

Which supercharger did you use, and if an adaptor was needed to mount it, where is it available.?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:58 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

...gladly share technical know how but what is in my car, where parts are sourced from etc. is a blueprint to copy the hard work, R&D time and expenses that I decided to undertake for my own car is not something I will share in great details.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, I understand the situation better now. Hopefully awareness can increase from here.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I can easily see a 3.1s 0-60 with a 3.4L bore and a 22 psi boost. About the same power/wt ratio as an SVR.

Which supercharger did you use, and if an adaptor was needed to mount it, where is it available.?
Take a look at the part number for the supercharger/upper plenum gasket. It's the same for V6 and V8... no adapter needed there
The 1900 is an overkill for the V6

Unhingd (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Something to note.
Stuart taught the guys at Viezu.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Something to note.
Stuart taught the guys at Viezu.
No, the other way around....

Old 06-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I enjoy following many of these threads since one of these days (after warranty is out), I plan to do some things to mine. I just have to say, I've never seen a group able to talk (mostly) civilly about mods like this one does. Any of the other forums I've been on have been full of "what I put on mine is the only way to do it" and "my way is the best, everyone else is ****" and things of that nature. I follow these to gather more information so I'll have a better idea what I want to do when the time comes. I've never understood that mindset and suspect in some of the forums it comes from not being able to just pull out certain parts of anatomy and measuring on the spot.

Last edited by Norri; 06-18-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Removed content
andykreb (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Let's stick to the car discussion please.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry about that. You won't have to remind me where I am again.

Norri (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The 1900 is an overkill for the V6
Did you use the R1900 or go with the R1650? The stock R1320 is definitely undersized at 20psi.

SinF (06-20-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Did you use the R1900 or go with the R1650? The stock R1320 is definitely undersized at 20psi.
I said the 1900 is too much, you have two smaller sizes, both will do and I went with the one that allows me a larger upper pulley. 1650 is NOT the only option and I run 22PSI. Sorry but you can do a little homework, I kept the OEM lower pulley.

I increased displacement by 13.345%, the 1650 would be sufficient to achieve the 22psi but at the peak efficiency curve. Of course different pulley choices may make it ideal.
Without the added displacement the 1650 is perfect for the 3.0L application. As the supercharger size goes up, so do parasitic power losses and unless you make it up with boost, then you are not gaining enough to justify the next step up.

The following 2 users liked this post by FType17:
Panthro (12-23-2023), SinF (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

so...no one has a stp tune that they can comment on?

Old 06-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

STP is backed by Viezu (at least tune wise), that's a solid start. Viezu has plenty of tuning history in all facets to be trustworthy. Anyone can make a pulley...and STP is willing to sell their pulley (and tune) substantially less then VAP. SOOOO really why not..?

FTYPE17 is the owner, as expected many will not flat out believe him without assuming bias, but he does have a meth injected V6 claimed to be .04 faster then the flagship V8! He appears to know his $%&^$ about the AJ. Plus he is local-ish (CT) to many of us, so anyone could go see the results or the person supplying them first hand.

Once some of the results start to come in on the STP, some "friendly" competition is good for the market. (from a consumer standpoint)

That being said, i have VAP and am happy, Stuart has always gotten me what i need and been thankful to do it.

Last edited by Itismejoshy; 06-20-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: fat stubby fingers refusing to cooperate..
The following 2 users liked this post by Itismejoshy:
FType17 (06-20-2018), Panthro (12-23-2023)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by andykreb
so...no one has a stp tune that they can comment on?
If some is genuinely interested I can provide many references that they can contact, just pm me

Old 06-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I can easily see a 3.1s 0-60 with a 3.4L bore and a 22 psi boost.
Block is uncapped (cylinder walls are not continuously connected to the block walls where it meets with head), how are you going to bore it that much, then boost it some more and expect it to survive more than couple dyno pulls without some exotic gasket material and corresponding head work? I think to do this reliably you'd need a custom CNCed block, and that is some $Serious Money$. It would be cheaper to trade in on SVR.

To clarify, I did not say this is impossible, it just unlikely to be reliable on its own. All of this is OK for a track car that has to survive for couple hours between engine tear-downs, not so much for a daily driver. Plus, there is no dip stick so you can't even easily monitor oil condition. So you are unlikely to catch failure early enough to avoid damage.

Last edited by SinF; 06-20-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Block is uncapped (cylinder walls are not continuously connected to the block walls where it meets with head), how are you going to bore it that much, then boost it some more and expect it to survive more than one dyno pull without some exotic gasket material?

To clarify, I don't say this is impossible, it just unlikely to be reliable.
Same issue with pushin the v8 much past 700hp right?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Anything is possible given enough money and expertise. STIs suffer from this issue, some people ride them until fail and can pull the engine out and R&R in a weekend and 6-pack, some put down serious cash on a custom blocks that can hold it. Either way, you have to REALLY like your car to spend that kinds of money on it. I have seen some modded STIs that are north of $100K all said and done... but after all of that you are still driving STI.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Block is uncapped (cylinder walls are not continuously connected to the block walls where it meets with head), how are you going to bore it that much, then boost it some more and expect it to survive more than couple dyno pulls without some exotic gasket material and corresponding head work? I think to do this reliably you'd need a custom CNCed block, and that is some $Serious Money$. It would be cheaper to trade in on SVR.

To clarify, I did not say this is impossible, it just unlikely to be reliable on its own. All of this is OK for a track car that has to survive for couple hours between engine tear-downs, not so much for a daily driver. Plus, there is no dip stick so you can't even easily monitor oil condition. So you are unlikely to catch failure early enough to avoid damage.
You must have forgotten that this is the same block as the V8 and if I had chosen to use the V8 pistons, I would end up with a 3.7L. I did not bore it that much to get to 3.4L

Panthro (12-23-2023)

Quick Reply: velocity or stp tuning which one?