F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrating noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vibrating noise at speed

Sorry if this topic has been discussed (couldn't find it) but I'm noticing two separate issues that may(?) be connected. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything similar.

Any advice/info would be much appreciated.

1) VIBRATING / SOFT RATTLING NOISE AT HIGH SPEED: At speeds above 75/80mph, I'm noticing that there's a soft rattling/vibrating noise coming from behind the seats. I've tried to isolate but can't tell if it's a mechanical/hardware matter (i.e., a part is broken or loose) or if it's aerodynamic (i.e., air rushing in at speeds noted above are affecting the something within the cabin). I can't tell if it's the boot cover or another part that's loose. I'm characterizing these as different issues as item #2 below may have some hand in this. I brought the car to the dealer to inspect but the service guys assumed that it was the wheel well cover that was not properly refastened after the fuel car service bulletin.

2) WINDOW SEAL(?): Recently, I noticed that my window seal may be causing a rattling noise coming from the side windows. I was driving along a particularly bumpy road when I first started hearing this rattling noise behind the driver's seat. Oddly enough, after I washed/waxed the car, the noise abated for a couple of days. When the noise came back, I lowered the window and the result was no noise. My assumption here is that after I washed/waxed the car, the seal was lubricated and more compliant. After a couple of days, the rubber has started to stiffen (ergo the noise). Am I completely wrong on this?

Thank you in advance!

The following users liked this post:
TheFrenchJag (06-01-2020)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Yes!

And I believe it is related to this issue that was discussed in a previous thread by a couple of members. The problem is also related to a slight rattle behind the left ear that sounds like its coming from the seat belt assy (but is not).

I plan to address this when I go in for my first service, unless it drives me bonkers first.

Pertinent post from jm717 below:

Just got my car back from dealer today, and they fixed this issue for me. All done as a warranty repair and I am happy to report that my squeaking/tapping sound is gone. What was done is below (excerpt from $0 invoice):

22293 BODY FLEX AT LEFT LOWER B PILLAR TO STRUCTURE FASTENERS TEST DRIVE WITH CHASSIS EARS ON LR SPRING, SWAY BAR, SHOCK, LOWER CONTROL ARM, & ROCKER PANEL, REMOVE TRUNK INTERIOR PANELS TO ACCESS SHOCK, REMOVE LOWER DOOR SILL CLADDING AND TEST DRIVE, LOOSEN B PILLAR FASTENERS AND INSTALL STRIP CAULK BETWEEN PANELS TO ISOLATE NOISE, TORQUE FASTENERS TO SPECS, TEST DRIVE, REPLACE LEFT DOOR WEATHERSTRIP

They located the problem and fixed it, so I'm a happy camper. I think it was in the area where b-pillar meets rocker panels. Just wanted to let you know that in case someone else experiences something similar.

The following 2 users liked this post by MI-FType:
schraderade (07-10-2016), Socal_transplant (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:53 PM

Thank you so much MI-FType!

Old 06-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I think I'm experiencing the exact same thing! I took my F-Type to the dealership last week, left it at their service department, and when I picked it up was told "Oh, there's no rattle. We drove it and didn't hear anything." I checked the odometer and they drove it 0 miles! Needless to say I'm pissed and waiting to hear from the service manager.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:26 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Socal_transplant

Was the issue that mj717 had the same problem as yours?

Is your rattling issue now fixed?

I also seem to have the same issue, almost sounds like someone doing Morse code behind the drivers head. However its not all the time and i am having a hard time identifying what makes it worse or better. Very very irritating.

Already took it into the dealer and went on a drive with a technician and typically it was barely noticeable and after i left it with them (they put it in a oven) they still couldn't hear anything...

I see them again this Monday.

Any feedback from your experience would be great.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:44 PM

Adz3000,
The noise is more a fluttering one (imagine a small flap that is vibrating at varying speeds). I went for a test drive with the senior technician and we were able to replicate the noise. He thinks that it may be a seal somewhere that is loose or broken that is allowing air to rush in the cabin. This makes sense as the noise is not heard at lower speed (read: below 75mph). Unfortunately, this is still unaddressed as the car is with the dealer to get a replacement fuel tank based a service bulletin that the service adviser noted. This second (and more major) service is discussed in this separate thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:53 AM

Thanks for elaborating

From your description i think my issue is similar but being caused by a different factor.
Mine is currently in with Jaguar at the moment, really really hope they sort the rattle.

Hope you get your car sorted soon!

Old 07-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal_transplant
Adz3000,
The noise is more a fluttering one (imagine a small flap that is vibrating at varying speeds). I went for a test drive with the senior technician and we were able to replicate the noise. He thinks that it may be a seal somewhere that is loose or broken that is allowing air to rush in the cabin. This makes sense as the noise is not heard at lower speed (read: below 75mph). Unfortunately, this is still unaddressed as the car is with the dealer to get a replacement fuel tank based a service bulletin that the service adviser noted. This second (and more major) service is discussed in this separate thread
I have your answer And your dealer will pull their hair out trying to isolate the flutter. It's the seal on the hatch area pointed out below. You can see how mine is starting to de-laminate as well. We had a 16' F-Type with 1,600 miles on it had a flutter noise above 70mph. I'm guessing there will be a TSB coming out for this shortly. Tell your service manager he owes me diag time, I've got Paypal ready, lol!

Ryan

P.S. Affix some blue painters tape over the seal and take it above 70.....

Last edited by Ryan23; 07-11-2016 at 05:07 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Ryan23:
Adz3000 (07-18-2016), AnzeG (12-22-2019), hades281 (03-04-2018), Paul champagne (11-30-2019), Smoke Em (07-11-2016), Socal_transplant (07-11-2016), xdave (07-18-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan23
I have your answer And your dealer will pull their hair out trying to isolate the flutter. It's the seal on the hatch area pointed out below. You can see how mine is starting to de-laminate as well. We had a 16' F-Type with 1,600 miles on it had a flutter noise above 70mph. I'm guessing there will be a TSB coming out for this shortly. Tell your service manager he owes me diag time, I've got Paypal ready, lol!

Ryan

Gorilla Glue to the rescue.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Nah, let the dealer rectify it. That's how TSB's get issued.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 PM

Ryan

Ryan23, Thank you so much for posting this!!! This is amazing!

Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Ryan

I noticed some funny business with that seal while drying my car with a master blaster. But I don't have any wind intrusion at highway speed, and I haven't noticed any water intrusion either. Guess I'll just monitor it.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:37 PM

Ryan

Forgot to say thanks for pointing this out Ryan

As after your post i checked mine and the exact same issue was present. However after i taped it up i still had a rattle so i think its unlikely to be my main rattle issue.

Car is currently with Jaguar to refit this seal (both sides) and to resume looking for the rattling noise.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Adz3000
Forgot to say thanks for pointing this out Ryan

As after your post i checked mine and the exact same issue was present. However after i taped it up i still had a rattle so i think its unlikely to be my main rattle issue.

Car is currently with Jaguar to refit this seal (both sides) and to resume looking for the rattling noise.
Yeah, this fix is for the fluttering sound above 75mph. A rattle could be any number of things. In any case, if you develop the flutter, you'll know where to start

Ryan

Old 07-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 360 Posts

Another thanks to Ryan for pointing out that seal. I've been able to remove most of the rattles and vibrations from mine over the last year but there were still two I hadn't found - one was a faint flutter that sounded like a piece of plastic tape was hanging out of the trunk hatch, and one was a rattle from the left hand side about where the suspension mounts.

The first noise drove me mad - I stripped out all the trim in an effort to isolate it without success, and refitted both door seals. After seeing this thread I used some blue tape on both sides of the trunk hatch and was unable to reproduce the fluttering sound today when testing up the motorway. Success! I removed the tape from the right and no change, but removed from the left and the noise came back, so it looks like mine is a mirror-image of your fix. I'm going to pull the trim off and check the fixings are sound, and if that doesn't sort it I'll refer it to the dealer.

The second noise I have sounds similar to the one MI-Ftype/jm717 mention in the first reply, so I will check that out too.

Slowly I am getting towards a rattle-free F Type. It wouldn't be a Jag if it didn't shake like a bag of marbles when new.

The following users liked this post:
andykreb (03-04-2018)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I just checked mine and it was detached on both sides, partially. I pressed it back and it seems to have stuck, indicating that seal is self-adhesive. But I wonder what glue to use if it does not stay in place. I wonder what the dealer would do for warranty repair?

Larry

Old 07-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I just checked mine and it was detached on both sides, partially. I pressed it back and it seems to have stuck, indicating that seal is self-adhesive. But I wonder what glue to use if it does not stay in place. I wonder what the dealer would do for warranty repair?

Larry
3M weather strip adhesive. Exactly what it is meant for. Available at any car parts store

Old 07-20-2016, 01:03 PM

Yeah, but there must be some reason why it is not sticking. I do not want to make a 2 hour trip to the dealer for such a small item, but I will put it on my list for my first service.
Larry

Old 07-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Default Did you get the seal fixed?

adz3000:

Did your dealer get that seal fixed? I talked with my dealer service writer today and she told me not to try any fix at home as it would invalidate the warranty. This is too small an item for me drive 3 hours to my dealer for a repair until my first service. But, I looked in the parts diagram and that seal is a part of the trim piece, close to $200 each side. Expensive replacement for just bad adhesive or dirty body.

Larry

Old 07-23-2016, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
adz3000:

Did your dealer get that seal fixed? I talked with my dealer service writer today and she told me not to try any fix at home as it would invalidate the warranty. This is too small an item for me drive 3 hours to my dealer for a repair until my first service. But, I looked in the parts diagram and that seal is a part of the trim piece, close to $200 each side. Expensive replacement for just bad adhesive or dirty body.

Larry
Hey Larry,

Sorry i missed this post and i have replied to your PM

Just so everyone else is aware i was unable to get this fixed in time so they applied a temporary solution.

However there original plan was to replace under warranty.

I was also told they had another MY17 f-type with the same issue. So this could be something for all new owners to look at.

I'd recommend getting it seen to sooner rather than later due to the fact it lets water into the body of the car when it gets wet.

Quick Reply: Vibrating noise at speed