F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What F type rims and tires to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What F type rims and tires to choose?

I have a black convertible F type with the 18 inch rims that came with the base model.

I am thinking of putting the 20 inch rims with the silver cyclone or carbon fiber five star blade design.

what rims would look best on the black convertible F type?

also, any owners out there that have the 20 inch rims do you feel that life becomes too uncomfortable? Should I do 19 inch instead ?

Old 02-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex MV
I have a black convertible F type with the 18 inch rims that came with the base model.

I am thinking of putting the 20 inch rims with the silver cyclone or carbon fiber five star blade design.

also, any owners out there that have the 20 inch rims do you feel that life becomes too uncomfortable? Should I do 19 inch instead ?
You might find the cyclones to be too bright for a black car. You might find dark wheels with a flash of silver (like the black diamond cut Gyrodynes ) more appealing. All black or dark wheels give the car a sinister look if that is what you are going for. I don't find the 20" wheels any less comfortable than the 19" (never driven the 18).

Old 02-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,278 Likes on 880 Posts

Gooday Alex. One thing to bear in mind is that the suspension in the base is harder than the suspension in the S or R (because they have the option of stiffening it up in dynamic mode). So essentially the base (unless it has adjustable suspension) has a very firm ride already, and that means that it is people who have the base with no adjustable suspension who will have the most valuable input.

That said, I've driven a few f types including a base on 20's and my S on 19's so I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

First, I've found along the way through a few jags that a lot of the jarring goes away once the seat softens and stretches. Because the driver's seat gets more use, I've found that the ride for the driver in both my XKR and the F Type is far better than as a passenger. Once you are focused on it, you can actually feel the seat taking up the bumps. This takes a while, at least 5000km. The ride in my XKR at 40,000km was gorgeous. The point of that is that if your car has very low mileage, you are going to feel the bumps a lot more and maybe it would be better to hold off until you have 10,000 or so on it.

Second, I've driven a new base on 20's and it was way too hard for me. It had the standard seats so I'm not sure if that contributed. But it was jiggly and tiresome. That explains (I think) the disproportionate amount of base models on 20's which are offered for sale at very low km - I think they probably get too tired very quickly, though as mentioned above it would improve with the seat softening up.

Third, I've got an S with 19" centrifuge wheels in gloss black. It probably wouldnt have been my choice if I had built the car, but they are nice wheels and easy to clean. The ride is very good in normal mode and good in dynamic, though it gets jiggly in dynamic on bad road surfaces.

I hope that this gives you food for thought.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 02-12-2017 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hwa23 (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,146 Likes on 2,317 Posts

The carbon fibre 5 blade design is called Blade, and comes in 20" only.
I have them on my S.
I have priced up replacement(s) should I ever need one or more, and they are hellishly expensive, pretty much the most expensive OEM Jag wheel you can get.
I for one don't think they are worth the cost and if I were you I would look for something else.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex MV

I have an Ammonite Grey Coupe-S. It came with 19" as stock size and I kept that size, but went with Gloss Black Diamond turned Orbits. I like them, but decided I want a 20" size instead, so I've ordered these in Brushed Titanium:

Series P1 - P107 | HRE Performance Wheels

The cool thing about HRE is that you can get on their website and look at tons of cars in all different colors with many styles and colors of rims to get an idea. Mine are being manufactured as we speak. The wheels on my car are like new (3500 miles) with the original tires. I may sell them once my new ones arrive. Here is my car now:

Attached Thumbnails What F type rims and tires to choose?-img_1470.jpg   What F type rims and tires to choose?-img_1471.jpg  

Last edited by drbill; 02-12-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added some text
dwmilton (05-20-2020)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

New wheels, would take a month to decide. I really liked the bronze ferradas one member put on his car. Love the super concave look. I'd use the wheel configurators that are suggested if you're going custom. The oem blades will look great.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 82 Likes on 28 Posts

I am thinking of replacing this wheel for my base V6.
Is this wheel weight a lot ? More than 12 kg (25 pound) per wheel ?

Attached Thumbnails What F type rims and tires to choose?-s-l1600-2.jpg  
Old 02-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm a Rohana wheel fanboy...pretty light @24lbs and for the price, I think they're awesome.

dwmilton (05-23-2020)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Single

I'm a Rohana wheel fanboy...pretty light @24lbs and for the price, I think they're awesome.
Wow, do you have any more pics?

Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronLin
These are the ones I have, and I am very happy with them. Don't know what the weight are though.

AaronLin (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronLin
Like Arne's, these are the Gyrodyne Black (more like dark grey) with diamond cut. I have these as well. They are indeed heavy at 32.5 front and 34lb rear.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...1/#post1410346

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-13-2017 at 01:31 PM.
AaronLin (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a set of 20" silver Tornado take offs from my F-Type I might be willing to part with. No curb rash that I can see. PM me if you might be interested.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

I have Forged Blades, and they are so easy to clean, especially with 17mm hubcentrics, you can get your hand in with sponges etc...piece of cake.

Personally I would have these below in a darker shade of charcoal...just so suit the F

Some more food for thought...

Last edited by Tel; 02-13-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Default Excellent suggestion

Thank you Unhinged, I saw rims on a Porsche today very similar to the diamond cut gyrodones you suggest. I think that they may be the best looking option for a black F type convertible.

I have the R seats and The adjustable suspension. I love the look of 20s.

Thank you

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You might find the cyclones to be too bright for a black car. You might find dark wheels with a flash of silver (like the black diamond cut Gyrodynes ) more appealing. All black or dark wheels give the car a sinister look if that is what you are going for. I don't find the 20" wheels any less comfortable than the 19" (never driven the 18).

Old 02-13-2017, 10:45 PM

Yes I love those actually. Those were on top of my list. Can you email me pics and price to alexmendoza777@gmail.com

Originally Posted by dwoodard
I have a set of 20" silver Tornado take offs from my F-Type I might be willing to part with. No curb rash that I can see. PM me if you might be interested.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Default Thank you

Thanks for your in depth input. I have the R seats and the adaptive suspension so I think I should be fine. Very helpful
Input.

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Gooday Alex. One thing to bear in mind is that the suspension in the base is harder than the suspension in the S or R (because they have the option of stiffening it up in dynamic mode). So essentially the base (unless it has adjustable suspension) has a very firm ride already, and that means that it is people who have the base with no adjustable suspension who will have the most valuable input.

That said, I've driven a few f types including a base on 20's and my S on 19's so I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

First, I've found along the way through a few jags that a lot of the jarring goes away once the seat softens and stretches. Because the driver's seat gets more use, I've found that the ride for the driver in both my XKR and the F Type is far better than as a passenger. Once you are focused on it, you can actually feel the seat taking up the bumps. This takes a while, at least 5000km. The ride in my XKR at 40,000km was gorgeous. The point of that is that if your car has very low mileage, you are going to feel the bumps a lot more and maybe it would be better to hold off until you have 10,000 or so on it.

Second, I've driven a new base on 20's and it was way too hard for me. It had the standard seats so I'm not sure if that contributed. But it was jiggly and tiresome. That explains (I think) the disproportionate amount of base models on 20's which are offered for sale at very low km - I think they probably get too tired very quickly, though as mentioned above it would improve with the seat softening up.

Third, I've got an S with 19" centrifuge wheels in gloss black. It probably wouldnt have been my choice if I had built the car, but they are nice wheels and easy to clean. The ride is very good in normal mode and good in dynamic, though it gets jiggly in dynamic on bad road surfaces.

I hope that this gives you food for thought.

BruceTheQuail (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

The copper concave look sharp with black.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Single

Damn! Those are sweet. Are those 20s? or 19s? Any more pics? How do they ride?

Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks! These are 20's...wish they made a 21" for the rear They ride great, just put some Michelin tires on them OH - well, I also have a set of 19x11's with drag radials for the track.

The following 2 users liked this post by Philly Single:
CPaxton (02-15-2017), dwmilton (05-23-2020)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts

I have Ferrada Forge8 line FR8 in bronze being delivered on Saturday
Running:

20x9 Et 35 front
255/35/20 Toyo Proxes

20x11.5 Et 30 Rear
295/30r20 Toyo Proxes

if anyone is interested I am an authorized distributor for Ferrada Wheels
instagrams:
@sigmods
@sigmods_oc