F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What product do you use to clean your rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What product do you use to clean your rims?

I have been using Autoglym Custom Wheels but wanted to get other people's opinion. I have paimted gloss stock rims. I have read hundreds of reviews but want something that doesn't require me to wear a mask or makes me vomit, but gentle to not take the paint off the rims.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Ammo Brute Wheel Soap. https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/ammo-brute-wheel-soap/

Carpro Iron X. https://www.carpro-us.com/paint-deco...x-500ml-16-oz/. I would use the Ammo Plum, but it's not available in bulk size and you just go through so much of it. Works better than Sonax and some of the other alternative Iron Removers that I have tried.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

I am in the process of a trial with Sonax Wheel cleaner. I'm not yet convinced this is a long term solution. I'd like to know if anyone has cquartzed (or similar) their wheels. If the brake dust and dirt don't stick, it's likely an easy wash off with normal car shampoo.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Even with coated wheels you will get brake dust sticking. The coating should make it easier to wash off. I will still hit the wheels with an iron remover and a rinse on a weekly / bi-weekly basis to keep brake from baking in, even if not fully washing the car. Wheel coatings get reapplied every year.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

At the suggestion of a detailer I trust, I put opti-gloss ceramic coat on wheels when new to create a barrier to brake dust (won't cling as easily)
and my regular cleaning process (usually ~1 / week) is:
1) rinse off as much as possible with strongest stream with garden hose gun
2) spray sonax to cover all wheels
3) hand wash rest of car (letting sonax do its thing on the wheels)
4) as I do final rinse on car, rinse wheels with strong stream
-- they look good enough at this stage, but not ready for cars/coffee
5) use car wash mitt and car soap to hand wash wheels
6) take car for a drying trip (~10 miles on freeway)
7) after applying "speed shine" (griot's) on car, I also apply to wheels -- both using microfiber towel
-- wheels look like new after this step

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I use a pressure washer to get most of the dirt off. Once the rest of the car is clean I use a microfiber cloth with the regular car wash stuff that's left in the bucket. But since it is a daily driver, I'm probably not as particular as most.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

This works pretty well.

Attached Thumbnails What product do you use to clean your rims?-img_0058.jpg  
Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Spray on Sonax Full Effect, use a wheel brush to spread it around, let marinate for a couple minutes, then pressure spray or hose off. Works great.
Amazon Amazon
CRS

Old 04-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

When pressure washing wheels, be careful not to hit painted calipers, especially if the pressure washer has any chemicals. I learned the hard way when the paint chipped off of the red painted Alcons on my old XKR. I have also noticed a lot of F Types with faded calipers which I suspect may be due to pressure washing.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,567 Likes on 1,418 Posts

I use a 50/50 mix of Simply Green/water and a microfiber cloth on my gloss black painted wheels on my 2010 XKR and on my painted silver rims on my 2002 XKR. Never have had an issue and is non toxic (and very inexpensive).

Old 04-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I am planning to cquartz my wheels fairly soon (am also thinking about it for the exhaust though no idea if it will help to keep the shine)
In the meantime I am using P21, which I find is as good as Sonax but doesn't smell like I'm breathing in poison (P21 also claims to be safe).
My approach is slightly different to above. I spray it on, leave for a few minutes, brush off with a wheel brush, rinsing both the brush and each spoke and space as I go. I then wash the whole car, allowing another layer of soap and water to work on the wheels. Seems to work and though my preferred routine is once per week, the new England winter means it has been closer to once per month since November

Old 04-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Sonax wheel cleaner plus

Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

CarPro Iron-X and a light brush. Only negative is the stuff stinks so I keep it outdoors.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 04-02-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
Spray on Sonax Full Effect, use a wheel brush to spread it around, let marinate for a couple minutes, then pressure spray or hose off. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CRS
I second Sonax Full Effect. I've tried several wheel cleaners and this has had the best results by far over any other product. Plus the smell is tolerable while some others I have tried in the past were not. I spray on the Sonax on a cool, dry wheel, let it sit for 5 minutes and then pressure wash to rinse. Rarely have to do much more than that. I buy it by the gallon via Amazon through a subscription which lowers the cost. I highly recommend! I haven't tried Iron-X but don't feel the need after finding Sonax.

Does the brake dust eventually subside? I'm still shocked on how much forms on the wheels after a couple of days driving.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by lareeves
Does the brake dust eventually subside? I'm still shocked on how much forms on the wheels after a couple of days driving.
Nope.

Unfortunately because Jaguar went with a "non-standard" caliper on a low production vehicle, there are no good alternative pad options either. Why they didn't go with a Brembo caliper on a $100k car is beyond me, especially when they use it on the RR and RR Sport.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:05 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,393 Posts

After 33K miles, I find the dust to be quite a bit less, but still present. I'm sure it's dependent on driving style, and I don't do hard braking very often.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,596 Likes on 858 Posts

Remind me again, which one is the brake pedal?

(As far as cleaning the wheels: I've used, and like, SONAX Full Effect but for a quick cleaning I usually use Mother's Showtime Instant Detailer which works quite well. Of course I avoid using the brakes as often as I can ).

Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

IronX Cherry sent (HAHA). The stuff works great though, but smells like a skunk just sprayed.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I use cleaning wax, but i'm going to get them ceramic pro'd, I'm so tired of cleaning them every other day.. too much brake dust.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I learned that the "coating" option mentioned by some of the posters here, is the best practice. It makes beautiful sense that if you can cover the wheels right away with a layer of something that repels contaminants and dirt, it will make some of the brake dust lift right off with soapwater.

But here is the surprise many owners didn't catch on to: Since your wheels are really just PAINTED surfaces, you can rub them with the same PAINT SEALER you use on your car body. Literally apply a coating of the treatment to your perfectly clean wheels (preferably in the first few days of ownership).

I applied everybody's very inexpensive noobie paint sealer: NuFinish Car Polish. Shines up and beads water on the wheels just like on the paintwork.

Then, to actually do the cleaning, Eagle One A2Z All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. It clings to the wheel, wheelwell, brake calipers, struts. Four minutes later, hose it off, and everything not only comes clean, but the aluminum shines. I'm not sure if it's the Eagle One that makes it so sparkling, or the NuFinish coating, but Bravo!
This is also VERY mild compared to Eagle One's other brake dust products. No foul smells, no staining or damage to the car's paint, rubber, plastic. But If you keep using it regualrly, the brake dust can easily overwhelm the cleaner and you have to start rubbing with brushes and clothes to get the stubborn areas.

With Eagle One A2Z, I wouldn't recommend letting the dirt stay on your wheels longer than two weekends. It's that mild.
I've used the standard Eagle 1 Wheel Cleaner in the past, which works seriously GREAT, but you can tell from the smell that this has cutting agents in it you don't even want your enemy's pittbull dog to get splashed on him. I'm willing to go with the softer A2Z All Wheel Cleaner, and just not let the dirt get ahead of me.