F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires vs. winter tires/wheels

Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman003
F-Toype...what size are your wheels/tires?
im in the same predicament with my 20”
255/35 front and 295/30 rear
OzFXR: 245-40-19 Fr, 275-35-19 Rr
Nati: That's what I found as well...Only rears
Thanks, guys.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow-up: Had the Pirelli SottoZero 3s installed today at Town Fair Tire (New England, USA). Another great experience there. Timely, professional, very cost effective, and not a scratch on my rims.
Total was $1,358 (beat TireRack), and included M&B, alignment. Also includes free tire repair, winter changeover for life of tires.
Can't wait to try them w/ AWD on some real snow! Cheers!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Found this info in my mailbox today with a $200 credit.
I was somewhat amused at the recommended tire sizes, particularly the aspect ratios. Note also, Pirelli is the only tire mentioned.
All is submitted from the Great Whit North....well, not that white...was 17*C on Mon and "didn't stay on the ground " 2 min flurry today.
FTypeR goes to bed when the salt comes out

Attached Thumbnails Winter tires vs. winter tires/wheels-img_0713.jpg  
Old 03-17-2018, 12:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tman003
F-Toype...what size are your wheels/tires?
im in the same predicament with my 20”
255/35 front and 295/30 rear
hello: i am in the same boat with 20” wheels. Mu car will be delivered next week V6S. Did you find any tires for winter. I am in PA

Old 03-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Kindly do NOT rush winter! Having said that, you do know this will be the third winter I have my car and not once did I NOT drive it due to crappy winter/wintery conditions?

I swapped out my OEM's to Continental Ultra-High Performance ExtremeContact DWS06's and haven't looked back. In other words I love them so much that I don't even bother swapping back into any summer tire. Of course, they don't have the grip that any, or most, summer tire would have but I don't push it so much that I feel I'm lacking in any grip given I don't push the car beyond its or my limits. (You might disagree when you see my driving in just over two weeks; fortunately I do not have a sticker which reads: How's My Driving?).

Speaking of which, and I am not a paid spokesperson for them, you do know Continental is paying for the T-Shirt you'll soon be wearing (and, no, I'm not suggesting that that's a reason to buy their tires)?
Agreed. I swapped the P Zeros with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for the cold months here in CT. If you're not driving in snowstorms, over ice, etc., a UHP all-season tire is your best bet because they grip better in dry cold conditions than even a high-performance winter tire. In southern New England, the roads are clear for most of the winter season, so why bother with a winter tire? If the conditions are bad enough to require winter tires, leave the F-type parked and drive another car! As fun it is to occasionally romp in the snow with a sports car, that's why I have an old FWD Volvo with Michelin X-Ice rubber.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ftype winter tires

I'm in the same spot with the 20's on mine. The Conti DWS06 are awesome tires and I want them on this car year round too. They don't make the exact size for the rear tho. Looks like the 285/30r20 size would work fine though. Maybe only a slight stretch. Has anyone put 285s on the 20" rears?

Old 07-13-2018, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganM
I'm in the same spot with the 20's on mine. The Conti DWS06 are awesome tires and I want them on this car year round too. They don't make the exact size for the rear tho. Looks like the 285/30r20 size would work fine though. Maybe only a slight stretch. Has anyone put 285s on the 20" rears?
Continental specifies 9.5-10.5" rim widths as being acceptable for that size tire. It will fit fine on the OEM wheel.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Default Conti DWS06

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to know if anyone had actually done it. Someone above mentioned they made the switch, but didn't specify the size wheels and and actual tire widths they went with. I'm actually looking for the specifics about the sizes that used...

Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

While my Jaguars stay parked in the winter, my two all wheel drive vehicles have winter tires and wheels. Makes it a ton easier to swap out, you don't want low profile tires in the winter (really hard on the wheels), and I don't get stuck like the folks with summer or all season tires. Big fan of not getting stuck.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Kindly do NOT rush winter! Having said that, you do know this will be the third winter I have my car and not once did I NOT drive it due to crappy winter/wintery conditions?

I swapped out my OEM's to Continental Ultra-High Performance ExtremeContact DWS06's and haven't looked back. In other words I love them so much that I don't even bother swapping back into any summer tire. Of course, they don't have the grip that any, or most, summer tire would have but I don't push it so much that I feel I'm lacking in any grip given I don't push the car beyond its or my limits. (You might disagree when you see my driving in just over two weeks; fortunately I do not have a sticker which reads: How's My Driving?).

Speaking of which, and I am not a paid spokesperson for them, you do know Continental is paying for the T-Shirt you'll soon be wearing (and, no, I'm not suggesting that that's a reason to buy their tires)?
Ricky, sounds like you kept the 20 inch wheels all around with the DWS06 tires. They make the size for the front, but not the 295/30r20 for the rear. Did you just go with the 285/30r20 size tire? Does it look ok on the stock 20x10.5 wheel?

Old 07-13-2018, 02:08 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Pretty sure RickyJay is running 19" Propellers.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Pretty sure RickyJay is running 19" Propellers.
He is.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm in The Minneapple. Just got a '16 F-Type R.

My research leads me strongly toward winter treads on 19s instead of for the OEM 20s, for sidewall height.
And to have the rears the same width as the fronts, 9", for winter traction.

Plus that affords ability to rotate tires, and it opens a couple more options for winter tire brands.

So 255-40-19s for all four corners.

I have Nokians for my Grand Cherokee Overland. Great tires. Great. So I'm leaning that way for my F-Type, too; although I could be talked into Blizzaks. And I've been advised to shop Michelin's winter tires.

Do any of you have experience with having tried different brands on the same car, for comparison?

I'll not drive the F-Type in fresh snowfall of any depth, but I will in snow dustings; and ice and slush still appear on plowed-clean roads. Then the narrower, winter tires prove themselves worth the money again and again. (That's true even on my Jeep, with its state-of-the-art all-wheel-drive system, which the Jag F-Type R is now emulating.)

So I'm this close to pulling the trigger to have four all-powder-coated rims that I like the looks of made to the same offset as the fronts are now.

(Not cheap, but what price Jag swag?)

Here's the trade-off for that better winter traction and ability to rotate the winter tires:
the rear wheels and tires will then be an inch and a half inside the rear fenders. I expect I'll be OK with that look for winter, but I admit I'm hesitant.

Has anyone here done that?

Thanks

Last edited by Forrest Keith; 10-11-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a second set of OEM wheels and put on sottozeros from Tire Rack
4 inches of snow today will report in near future

Ravi

Old 10-14-2018, 11:44 AM

I decided to order a rim that I will then have powder-coated so they're all black. That's cheaper and faster than ordering custom rims. These are for snow tires.

So I ordered TSW Jaramas. The specs measurements indicate they should fit, but I've been warned they might not clear the brakes; we'll see.

If they don't, I'll try Foose F099 Knuckles. If those don't clear, then I'll settle for TSW Sebrings. (They have no lip; I prefer a lip on my rims.)

All four corners the same size for these snow tires: Nokian Hakkapeliitta. 255-40-19s.

I'll report what I learn.

I'm thinking I'll put a spacer on the rears.

Anyone have experience with spacers?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forrest Keith
I decided to order a rim that I will then have powder-coated so they're all black. That's cheaper and faster than ordering custom rims. These are for snow tires.

So I ordered TSW Jaramas. The specs measurements indicate they should fit, but I've been warned they might not clear the brakes; we'll see.

If they don't, I'll try Foose F099 Knuckles. If those don't clear, then I'll settle for TSW Sebrings. (They have no lip; I prefer a lip on my rims.)

All four corners the same size for these snow tires: Nokian Hakkapeliitta. 255-40-19s.

I'll report what I learn.

I'm thinking I'll put a spacer on the rears.

Anyone have experience with spacers?
One or more threads already exist regarding spacer adapters. Many of us are using them.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:59 AM

Thanks, Unhingd,

I'll look for those threads. (This forum newb is still learning to crawl. I did have a look at your car. Wonderful. I particularly love the look of the grill, but the mechanical improvements you've done to it are tremendous.)

Last edited by Forrest Keith; 10-15-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My snow tires are Pirelli Sottozero, 245/40 19, mounted on 8.5 x 19 (front) and on 9.5 x 19 (rear).
However I'm going to change for Michelin Pilot Alpin when the Pirelli will come to their end.

back

front

Old 11-25-2018, 12:06 PM

That is a good-looking car.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Forrest Keith
That is a good-looking car.
Of course it's an F-Type

Thanx anyway!

Search this Thread