Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires/wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter tires/wheels

Hi all,

The dealer and I have finally reached a mutually agreeable deal - $5,500 off MSRP, 0.00170 money factor on a 2016 V6S AWD. The dealer expects the car within a month. Thanks for all of your valuable inputs in my prior threads. They were very helpful during the negotiation.

The issue now is that I'll probably get the car when we start to get snow here in Iowa. I do have another car but it would be difficult to pick up the key for the other car (a Lexus) when an F type sits next to it.

Please share your recommendation on winter tires/wheels and any words of wisdom on driving the F type in the snow other than "don't do it!" Thanks!

Last edited by Pontsu; 09-12-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

I spooled up some Blizzaks last winter and they were phenomenal in snow. Drive it year round, you could be dead tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
I spooled up some Blizzaks last winter and they were phenomenal in snow. Drive it year round, you could be dead tomorrow.
Agreed, with good snow tires, there's no traction reason why you can't drive it in snow. The only limitation is that in deep snow you'll be snow plowing with the spoiler.

When I lived in Minneapolis, I drove an M3 on Blizzaks as my only car, and also did a fair amount of snow plowing, but that car had more clearance and a stouter spoiler design. It handled beautifully on the Blizzaks.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Having both F-Type and Lexus, my preferred snow tires are whatever is under the Lexus (regular Michelin Primacy MXM4's). Mind you, I haven't ALWAYS lived in the South (MD, VT, CT, PA), but I just don't want to take the F-Type out with all those other crazy drivers. Even in CT, I remember commuting past ditched MB's, Porsche's, even Range Rovers.

Now, there was the time I got caught at work in the e-Type when the snow hit. That would be the day the accelerator decided to stick at whatever furthest position I hit (tap the pedal to "free" it up and it would just stick faster). I ended up driving home by intermittently switching the ignition off/on.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontsu
Hi all,

The dealer and I have finally reached a mutually agreeable deal - $5,500 off MSRP, 0.00170 money factor on a 2016 V6S AWD. The dealer expects the car within a month. Thanks for all of your valuable inputs in my prior threads. They were very helpful during the negotiation.

The issue now is that I'll probably get the car when we start to get snow here in Iowa. I do have another car but it would be difficult to pick up the key for the other car (a Lexus) when an F type sits next to it.

Please share your recommendation on winter tires/wheels and any words of wisdom on driving the F type in the snow other than "don't do it!" Thanks!
I picked up 2015 V6S last October and drove it throughout a long (and cold) winter. In Maine. On...yes...the OEM P-Zeros. And it was loads of fun. I never got "carried away" and drove appropriately for the conditions. This year I decided I want to be able to drive it even more but considering that the vast majority of winter here provides (quickly) snow-plowed roads I determined, with the help of this forum, that an Ultra-High Perfornance All-Season tire would fit the bill perfectly (which I happen to have on my Audi A8L); Continental Extreme Contact DWS (the #1 Ultra-High Performance, by far, All-Season tire on Tire Rack) on brand new Jag OEM Propeller Wheels purchased from Mike at Midwest Wheel & Tire. Let the good times roll...

...through Winter.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-12-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-13-2015, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

I've seen that review before. The reasoning behind my choosing the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (all-season) over the Blizzaks (dedicated snows) was quite simple: the vast majority of my winter driving will be on roads, both city and highway, cleared of snow. That I have had long-standing real-world experience on my 2004 Audi A8L is icing (pun intended) on the cake. We shall see how they perform on the F-Type soon enough.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-13-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I ride my RWD all year in PA - and love it. The first winter it was on stock P-Zero tires, second winter was on Michelin PSS. I like the PSS better, but the car and tires are not really ideal for snow to say the least. But if you don't mind sliding around a bit, and even have some silly fun with the tail out to the side in turns then it will all be good fun. I drove in max 1-2 inches of snow on road, if it got worse than that I would pick another car. I clean the car more often in winter, all that salt and stuff pains me on that beautiful car.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

I too LOVE driving in the snow and wintry conditions - of course my (since sold) Subaru WRX with dedicated winter wheels and tires; which for the life of me I can't recall which they were, was PERFECTLY ideal and no amounts of snow, or ice, could stop me...and believe me I/it was hit plenty hard plenty of times - and I'm looking forward to more winter driving this year with my V6S F-Type with my new set up of new OEM Propeller wheels and Continental Extreme Contact DWS All-Seasons.

In my opinion, while perhaps not ideal - and that's in the eyes of the beholder - there's absolutely no reason whatsoever for leaving the F-Type in from the cold and away from the road in winter. Your opinion may differ.

Carpe diem.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a scaredy cat - I bed mine down for the winter, usually right around the end of November and wake it up in early April. I love winter driving, but we have two SUVs in the household that are our daily drivers so no need to risk the F-Type.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tiger4366
I'm a scaredy cat - I bed mine down for the winter, usually right around the end of November and wake it up in early April. I love winter driving, but we have two SUVs in the household that are our daily drivers so no need to risk the F-Type.
I get it and respect your decision to park it for the winter - and I too have two other AWD vehicles which I also love driving in the snow and winter(2006 BMW 325xi 6-speed wagon with sports suspension and my 2004 Audi A8L with, it so happens, Continental ExtremeContact DWS All-Seasons) - but there's no way in wintry hell I can leave my F-Type in hibernation. Besides, assuming one knows the bounderies of driving in wintry conditions (and themselves of course), the F-Type can handle it. Other drivers? That's always a wild-card, even in summer.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I get it and respect your decision to park it for the winter - and I too have two other AWD vehicles which I also love driving in the snow and winter(2006 BMW 325xi 6-speed wagon with sports suspension and my 2004 Audi A8L with, it so happens, Continental ExtremeContact DWS All-Seasons) - but there's no way in wintry hell I can leave my F-Type in hibernation. Besides, assuming one knows the bounderies of driving in wintry conditions (and themselves of course), the F-Type can handle it. Other drivers? That's always a wild-card, even in summer.
It's not my own ability I worry about. I traded in a Quattro S5 on the F-Type and used to drive it like mad in the winter and loved what the Quattro plus winter tires gave me as far as drivability. I've just lost trust in other drivers on ice and snow to put it in harm's way. I cheer you guys who shoe-up the Jags with the right tires and take it out. I used to love rear-wheeling when I had a Lexus GS400 - that was very fun in the snow too. Good Luck!

Old 09-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tiger4366
It's not my own ability I worry about. I traded in a Quattro S5 on the F-Type and used to drive it like mad in the winter and loved what the Quattro plus winter tires gave me as far as drivability. I've just lost trust in other drivers on ice and snow to put it in harm's way. I cheer you guys who shoe-up the Jags with the right tires and take it out. I used to love rear-wheeling when I had a Lexus GS400 - that was very fun in the snow too. Good Luck!
Agreed. While no one can anticipate everything which might come our way, other drivers* have been, are, and always will be the #1 wild card.

*And not the good ones at that!

Old 09-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I think I'd be more concerned with the clearance in the snow/ice with the F-Type. Luckily I no longer live in snow country so I don't have to worry about it now.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
bwc
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Am in Calgary and I have a 2016 R coupe and have been trying to find 19" wheels to put on it for the winter (was going to put Bridgestone Blizzaks on). I had a set of 19" wheels lined up with Midwest Wheel and Tire (as recommended by others on the forum) but they just called back to say that NO 19" wheels will fit over the 2016 calipers. My question is to everyone out there that has a 2016 F-type R who has put winter wheels on : where did you get them and did you put 19" or 20" wheels on?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwc
Am in Calgary and I have a 2016 R coupe and have been trying to find 19" wheels to put on it for the winter (was going to put Bridgestone Blizzaks on). I had a set of 19" wheels lined up with Midwest Wheel and Tire (as recommended by others on the forum) but they just called back to say that NO 19" wheels will fit over the 2016 calipers. My question is to everyone out there that has a 2016 F-type R who has put winter wheels on : where did you get them and did you put 19" or 20" wheels on?

I will be using my stock wheels for winter. Just bought a set of Nokian hakkapeliitta r2 for my 16' R in Jaguar recommended size (255/35/20 F, 285/30/20 R). Should be fun in the winter.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bwc

I don't think there were any brake package changes in 2016. What brake package do you have? I believe there are 19" wheels that will fit over the super performance package, but not the carbon ceramic package.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't think there were any brake package changes in 2016. What brake package do you have? I believe there are 19" wheels that will fit over the super performance package, but not the carbon ceramic package.
+1. The 19" Propellers that came standard on my car with the Super Performance brakes obviously fit just fine. These are the same brakes that come standard on the R.
bmc, PM me if you would consider a set of Propellers with less than 20 miles on them.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

BWC,

I think you may have talked to someone at Midwest who wasn't well-informed. Contact Unhingd on this forum, or call Midwest again and ask for Brendan. He's great to work with.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bwc

It's still a bit early to provide a full report on the performance of my ContinentalExtremeContact DWS*** (the #1 rated, by far, on Tire Rack for Ultra-High Performance All Season tires) - purchased, along with brand new OEM 19-inch Propeller Wheels, from MidWest Wheel and Tire - on my 2015 V6S Coupe [with the super performance brake package] but my initial reaction, as I expected, and written about before, is superb! Outstanding actually. I certainly wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone looking for a ultra-high performance all-season tire where snow really isn't much of an issue. While we get plenty of it here in the State of Maine, the vast majority of the roads I drive on are cleared rather quickly - and cleanly - and snow just isn't an issue for me. In fact, I look forward not only to continued winter driving, more aggressive winter driving, but let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

***I just checked Tire Rack and the #1 rated UHPAS is actually Continental's new ExtremeContactDWS06, followed by the original ExtremeContactDWS. The reason I opted for the the original - and Mike from MidWest Wheel and Tire concured - was that the newer version has 327,189 miles reported (for the Tire Rack survey) whereas the older version has 47,237,752 miles. Add another several hundred extra from me.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-17-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter tires/wheels