Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrench lodged deep within Driver Seat track - Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:39 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Wrench lodged deep within Driver Seat track - Help

Tonight I made the mistake of getting in the car with change in my (right) pocket, and naturally half of it fell out the instant I got situated behind the wheel. I used a small open-ended wrench to file all of the change out but lost hold of damn wrench into the track. As far as I can tell it’s wedged somewhere in the center portion of the track and it is unfortunately preventing the seat from moving completely back, coming roughly 3in short of where it should otherwise meet the rear cowel. It’s not in a position where i can see it or feel it anymore. And I am unable to drive the car with the limited seating position. Needless to say it’s time to panic.

What do I do? I may have to take the seat apart in pieces from the top down. It’s that serious

Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

My car is different but the driver seat is held in place by just 4 screws. Two at the rear and of the tracks and two at the front end.

If yours is similar or the same I am sure you will see the ones on the rear but if you cannot move the seat back far enough you may or may not see the ones at the front.

If you can you would be able to unscrew them and lift the seat up maybe making access easier.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:29 PM
WJV

Originally Posted by jackra_1
My car is different but the driver seat is held in place by just 4 screws. Two at the rear and of the tracks and two at the front end.

If yours is similar or the same I am sure you will see the ones on the rear but if you cannot move the seat back far enough you may or may not see the ones at the front.

If you can you would be able to unscrew them and lift the seat up maybe making access easier.
There’s no access to the front bolts

Old 11-17-2018, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Can you feel them? Could a ratchet wrench with appropriate socket reach them?

Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Maybe you can poke a piece of strong wire in along the runner and flip the wrench up and out?
Do it by feel or at a stretch use a "mechanics" mirror (I have one) to see what you are doing.
I have used old wire coat hangers cut and bent to shape for things like this in the past, but can you still get those wire coat hangers these days?

Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 PM
WJV

Can you feel them? Could a ratchet wrench with appropriate socket reach them?
The seat is just too far forward and won’t go back far enough. I doubt they make a spanner thin enough to fit in the area required.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

This little goodie has saved my butt several times:

All kinds of retrieving magnets available at any car parts store.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
andykreb (11-18-2018), Carbuff2 (11-18-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
This little goodie has saved my butt several times:

All kinds of retrieving magnets available at any car parts store.
I thought of that too Lance (I have one of those gadgets), but then I thought "the seat runners are bound to be iron/steel (not alu) so the magnet will just get stuck on them and not grip the wrench at all".
Still worth a try though!

Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

On mine I can access the special bolts with the correct socket which fits easily in the rail.

Yours may well be different.

Also raising the seat as much as possible helps.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

My front star bolts are easily accessed by feel and I do not have to actually see them.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

On mine I can access the special bolts with the correct socket which fits easily in the rail.

Yours may well be different.

Also raising the seat as much as possible helps.
The F-Type seat bolts are different, they are standard 5 point Torx T50 (I know coz I just checked!).
And yes raising the seat as high as it will go should help with access.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Rear
Better pics. Two torx bolts at each rear end and one six star bolt on each front end.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Don't forget guys, the OP dropped half his family fortune into the seat tracks so they won't move for-n-aft all the way.

Which begs the question: what happens if you raise the seat all the way UP?

Old 11-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Don't forget that has been suggested plus I think it is the wrench thats causing the problem and not so much the family fortune.

The point I am making is that the bolts on my seat can be accessed by feel and with the correct tools can be undone even if the seat is hiding them from view especially if the seat is raised as high as possible.

Unless of course the OP's seat tracks are so very different.

I wonder if the seat is raised as high as possible if the forward and rearward movement increases?

Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 AM
WJV

Don't forget that has been suggested plus I think it is the wrench thats causing the problem and not so much the family fortune.

The point I am making is that the bolts on my seat can be accessed by feel and with the correct tools can be undone even if the seat is hiding them from view especially if the seat is raised as high as possible.

Unless of course the OP's seat tracks are so very different.

I wonder if the seat is raised as high as possible if the forward and rearward movement increases?
Correct, it’s the wrench that is lodged somewhere in the seat track. The seat is as high and far forward as possible and the tool cannot be seen. Getting pretty close to scrapping the car and selling it for parts. So far nothing is working.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that.

If I were in that position I would undo the bolts that I could see whichever end it is and then forcibly bend the seat and rails as far as it takes to see the wrench and get it out.

Then bend the seat back as far as possible to original and see if it moves forward enough to expose the rear bolts to take them out.

The seat itself is extremely expensive but I would think the rail/tracks are a good bit less expensive??

Old 11-18-2018, 09:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Do you have access to an endoscope? If you could see the wrench maybe it'd be possible to figure out how to shift it.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

+1 on that.

In my workshop manual it "talks" about removing the seat cover as if you can do that without taking the seat out. You have to take off some trim pieces. It is not very clear at all but you might look to see if you can do that.

Disconnect the battery tho while attempting any of this.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:38 AM
WJV

+1 on that.

In my workshop manual it "talks" about removing the seat cover as if you can do that without taking the seat out. You have to take off some trim pieces. It is not very clear at all but you might look to see if you can do that.

Disconnect the battery tho while attempting any of this.
Could you take a photo of the section in the manual that shows this?

I appreciate all the suggestions, I’m trying everything.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...6&action=click

The pesron has the seat out but you can see how the cover is attached.

Have a look at the above. It might give you an idea. My workshop manual is really no help as it just shows a picture with what looks like velcro under the rear of the seat.

You will have to feel around to see if there are detachable "items".

I added a couple of pics of my passenger seat. I was able to pull forward on that long plastic retainer under the very front edge of the seat and when that came off the whole front section of the seat cover is quite loose.

You would have to taken the control buttons cover off to get the side section loose but it looks like that would pull off in some direction as many such covers do. Not sure on that.

Under neath the cover would be foam. Not at all sure how you would deal with that.

Last edited by jackra_1; 11-18-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Wrench lodged deep within Driver Seat track - Help