Sorry, couldn't resist....

Old 12-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,598 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Did he "Throw" the game???
Sorry, couldn't resist....
As puns go, that was a good one!

Ron—who did break a bone in his finger earlier this week, bowling—is FAR too competitive to do that. If we take your comment literally. There were LOTS of people there—from all 5 dealerships—so I was quite surprised that 178 took the top prize. Unfortunately my beautiful wife—when it was my turn—started to try out a different ball from the one she was using which slowly started to roll down the lane! Picture me running after it to prevent it from “interfering” in my game/turn at the time? That was one hell of a sight which completely threw my game off; particularly on a super slick bowling alley. Not that I am competitive but when you haven’t bowled in 24 years and begin to accumulate a pretty decent score from the get-go…

Nevertheless it was all in great fun!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-12-2021 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (12-13-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
As puns go, that was a good one!
I just rewatched "The Big Lebowski" a few nights ago so would have gone with a "roll" pun instead of a "throw" pun, but I'll abide with that.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Well done Steve.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Well done Steve.
But who won the ugly sweater contest?

Old 12-13-2021, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
But who won the ugly sweater contest?
Ah, yes. I neglected to mention that the entire event featured an “ugly” sweater theme. And since neither my wife NOR (that’s for scm) I have any ugly article of clothing, leave it to the General Sales Manager, my pal, Ron to purchase “ugly” sweaters for both me and my wife. The good news was I didn’t think my flickering lights menorah sweater to be ugly at all. Quite the contrary. I love my sweater. I was “TOO LIT TO QUIT” (that was what the sweater says) with lights flashing the entire time I was bowling. The bad news was my sweater lied as when it came time to be judged my lights gave out*. (Doubtful that that factored into my failure to win). On the other hand my wife was, imo, a definite contender as her sweater was as ugly as they come. Being the only customer at the employee-only holiday party my wife was hesitant to even partake in the judging. (She did, reluctantly).

The winner in a vast sea of ugly sweaters?

A depiction of Santa Claus sitting—I should say shi**ing—on top of a chimney. Oh well.

Thanks for asking Marko. I think.

*Obviously I needed a battery(ies) replacement. On the other hand…Chanukah—or Hanukkah if you prefer—ended last week.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-13-2021 at 09:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
jaguny (12-15-2021), Mbourne (12-13-2021), scm (12-14-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Inquiring minds needed to know

The following 2 users liked this post by Mbourne:
jaguny (12-15-2021), RickyJay52 (12-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2022, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Gifted to me this evening at dinner (in Portland) at Union Restaurant in the Press Hotel.

The “list” continues to grow.

And if you are thinking that my dealer continues to shower me with gifts so that I will post them here? Think again. Unfortunately—or fortunately from his perspective—the General Sales Manager (and my buddy) Ron McIntyre is way too busy to ever even look at this forum, despite my suggesting, from time to time, that he does so. Yes they—especially Ron—treat(s) me exceptionally well but I have seen how they treat many customers and needless to say it’s clearly a cut above. IMO the best in the business.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a new book to peruse and ponder.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-12-2022 at 09:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
jaguny (01-17-2022), Mahjik (01-12-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

A massive and incredibly delicious Bacon, Egg, and Cheese on a house made Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich from St. Joe’s Cafe.

The former Commanding Officer of Sector Northern New England United States Coast Guard, me, General Sales Manager Ron McIntyre Jaguar Land Rover Scarborough, Maine. (in front of a gorgeous Defender about to be delivered to a new customer).

Newly washed F-Type.

How nice is it to visit my fantastic dealership for our semi-regular Saturday morning breakfast meeting? And, as hard as I try, Ron just won’t let me pay!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-19-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Smart Sales Managers/Dealers realize the more often a former customer comes in, the greater the chance of his deciding to upgrade, or replace his current car, or bring a friend along. Too bad more do not understand this.

The following users liked this post:
Sultan1966 (08-04-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Smart Sales Managers/Dealers realize the more often a former customer comes in, the greater the chance of his deciding to upgrade, or replace his current car, or bring a friend along. Too bad more do not understand this.
Bravo SamtheSham. Exactly my point in posting this! There are worse places for us gearheads to hang out—or just spend an hour or so; and, yes, maybe with a friend or two [isn’t that right DJS?]— than a car dealership. Of course I realize not every, or many. car dealerships are as friendly and accommodating as mine.

It’s not rocket science.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Of course I realize not every, or many. car dealerships are as friendly and accommodating as mine.
In the UK, I think the tendency is for dealers to believe they're running a hospital for cars and customers are no-nothings who have to be kept at a distance. We have to hand our cars over to the "experts" and let them get on with it with little or no information flowing back. And heaven help the knowledgeable customer who tells them what's wrong! That's why I stick to my trusted independent - I can see what's going on, and there's no BS. Or excessive labour rates to pay for all that "free" coffee and steel and glass premises.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Bravo SamtheSham. Exactly my point in posting this! There are worse places for us gearheads to hang out—or just spend an hour or so; and, yes, maybe with a friend or two [isn’t that right DJS?]— than a car dealership. Of course I realize not every, or many. car dealerships are as friendly and accommodating as mine.

It’s not rocket science.
It's working at Scarborough!

Old 02-20-2022, 10:10 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,394 Posts

There are worse places for us gearheads to hang out—or just spend an hour or so; and, yes, maybe with a friend or two [isn’t that right DJS?]— than a car dealership.
Yup, the XE will be up there at some point for scheduled maintenance; I'll have to see what's due on the F-type other than oil change (and a breakfast sandwich every year/16,000 miles.)

Old 02-20-2022, 11:40 AM
Received 420 Likes on 171 Posts

At my dealership, which will remained unnamed, the only refreshments offered are donuts, coffee and bottled water, but you must get there early to enjoy anything but perhaps a bottle of water. Arrive after about 9:30 AM and everything but the smell is gone...it's not the clients, it's the staff that's depleting the meager offerings.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SassySarah
At my dealership, which will remained unnamed, the only refreshments offered are donuts, coffee and bottled water, but you must get there early to enjoy anything but perhaps a bottle of water. Arrive after about 9:30 AM and everything but the smell is gone...it's not the clients, it's the staff that's depleting the meager offerings.
Another great point, SassySarah. I often bring pastries—including donuts (Maine happens to have a wide selection of truly fantastic donut shops (Frosty’s, Tony’s, Holy Donut….look them up)—and usually bring enough for the service and sales departments and that’s completely separate from what the dealership itself offers their customers; coffee’s, plenty of bottled water and, yes, some light snacks. The receptionist—and often many of the sales/service crews—often makes homemade stuff to offer their customers (of course over the past two years that probably wasn’t as often as in the past). And while no one is visiting Jaguar Land Rover Scarborough Maine solely for purposes of eating—except me of course—they definitely make sure their customers are treated well.

Your comment also put a smile on my face for the following reason (and short clip):

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-20-2022 at 12:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Mbourne (02-20-2022), SassySarah (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 03:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I have to say I’m jealous of those with such awesome dealerships. I won’t name mine, but I don’t have to since there is only one in Tucson, AZ. I’ve had my 2017 F Type less than a week. Okay, I bought it at Carmax, but I will be taking it somewhere for service, etc. right? I brought it there a couple days ago with an appointment, to just have it looked over to ensure there were no issues. Unlike my experience at my local Mercedes and Audi dealers, nobody came out to greet me or even barely acknowledge my presence when I came inside. I felt like I was asking them for a favor to take care of me. Not like they were busy, in fact it was dead in there. Maybe they were just having a bad day but if this doesn’t improve I guess I will drive the 90 minutes north to give the dealer in Phoenix a try.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jdwoody17
Well, I have to say I’m jealous of those with such awesome dealerships. I won’t name mine, but I don’t have to since there is only one in Tucson, AZ. I’ve had my 2017 F Type less than a week. Okay, I bought it at Carmax, but I will be taking it somewhere for service, etc. right? I brought it there a couple days ago with an appointment, to just have it looked over to ensure there were no issues. Unlike my experience at my local Mercedes and Audi dealers, nobody came out to greet me or even barely acknowledge my presence when I came inside. I felt like I was asking them for a favor to take care of me. Not like they were busy, in fact it was dead in there. Maybe they were just having a bad day but if this doesn’t improve I guess I will drive the 90 minutes north to give the dealer in Phoenix a try.
Needless to say I never would—could—“defend” someone’s business practices. We’ve all experience poor if not dismal, or non-existent, customer service—particularly true these last 2 years (if nothing more than due to a shortage of workers; another story entirely)—but we all have a choice.

I feel extremely fortunate (on lots of levels) to not only have a fantastic professional relationship with my dealer—Jaguar Land Rover Scarborough, Maine—but a personal one too. I not only have my car serviced there—and have since I bought it new October 2014–but feel confident that the job will get done professionally and that they stand behind their work. (And, yes, I don’t mind if I have to pay more getting it serviced there). In other words—and this is true for all their customers (who I know and have seen)—they genuinely care.

Speaking of caring (and salespeople)…

I count the General Sales Manager, Ron McIntyre, as one of my closest friends—which has little or nothing to do with my owning a Jag—and speak with him often. All of Ron’s salespeople are knowledgable and friendly—no sign whatsoever of high pressure here—and all have to take regular training so that they know the ins and outs of…duh…the cars they sell. It’s not like Larry David (or me) selling a car. If you were to spend any time here—as I have (even eating breakfast on a Saturday morning)—I can assure you that you would make note of the fabulous atmosphere here.

And why I keep going back (and for breakfast). Like I said, most of us—if not all of us—have a choice.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-24-2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Yup, the XE will be up there at some point for scheduled maintenance; I'll have to see what's due on the F-type other than oil change (and a breakfast sandwich every year/16,000 miles.)
Almost makes me want to come to Mass. Well.....maybe not for a while.

Old 02-24-2022, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Almost makes me want to come to Mass. Well.....maybe not for a while.
Good evening Sam.

If you wanted to go to Jaguar Land Rover Scarborough—where DJS gets his cars serviced—you’ll have to come to Maine [ME]. If you wanted to stay at DJS’s house, then you have the right state. DJS is a very talented photographer and BNB host! He’s also a great cook.

Make sure you leave a glowing review—and tip—after your stay. DJS prides himself on 5/5.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-24-2022 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Yeah, But Does Your Dealer Do This?