General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2017 F-Type R blown motor

Old 03-31-2017, 10:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 F-Type R blown motor

Whoever has any advice as to where I find a racing block and heads for this R which is done. 4400 miles and just a simple blower pulley and a Capristo cat-back and I'm off the road. 5 cylinders are seized so time to go big but cannot find a thing. Dealership will not do ****...no kidding. Someone help please

Old 03-31-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I'd find a race shop that had the knowledge to dig into it. Get the motor out and apart, figure out what happened and remedy it. Gonna be expensive.

Aluminum tend to expand quicker than iron so maybe it'll just need some new pistons / rings and the galling in the bores cleaned up like what happens to 2 stroke's.

What were you doing when it seized?

Last edited by Ranchero50; 03-31-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There wasn't a major event on the highway but was rallying with my friend in his Huracan and we were both just under 180 on several occasions. Do this this all the time. It's when I park and shut it down and refire that anyone can notice that it's running on odd cylinders. As it turns out I have 5 siezed. My Vanquish has way more done to it and it never skips a beat...ever. Need to find a proper aftermarket Jag mechanic for sure

Old 04-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

That sucks. I'm sure I read on the forums the those DI 5.0's run a little lean which will swell a piston up. Gonna be an interesting spec build for a street car that pushes that hard (larger piston and ring gap clearances). Probably need a tune as well as mechanical repairs.

Good luck and post up what you find in the respective sub-forum.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Seems 5.0SC is more fragile than 4.2SC. Honestly I and indy have tried kill it but unsuscesfully. we tried virtualyeveryting-
1)driving without coolant,
2)drive with stuck radiator in hot summer, driving with yellow, then red warnings 180km.
3)tiried to dar agressively with stuck radiator and oil level lower than minimum (dont ask, I trusted dealer)
4) started car after 2 days off in minus 10 degrees below zero, and from the first seconds cars RPM went to 7000RPM (wrong gearbox TCM lead to infinetly increasing rpm)
I could count more, but this engine suprprise me in good manier. mileage no 180 000miles no ratling under startup from cold, all horses is here. I was thinking to buy sligthtly used engine (40 000miles) just in case, but the more i spent with this engine the more I realise that its not that easy to kill it. when i read about 5.0SC or 2.7-3.0 PSA diesels I justs cant understand why they changed design. 4.2sc was very good engine. and good sounding. if jaguar wanted more power jsut add TVS charger thats all.