General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The Best Automotive Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default The Best Automotive Battery

Okay, I know this has been discussed many times on this website, but if you were asked to offer your opinion on the BEST automotive battery for a U.S. spec Jaguar (in my case, a 2008 XK), what brand would you suggest?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,844 Likes on 3,160 Posts

I know this is going to sound funny, go with with the cheapest. I would say to go with either the Walmart brand battery or the Advance Auto Silver battery of the appropriate style.

Keep in mind that for example, Walmart batteries, Advance Auto batteries, Exide batteries, and many other brands are all built on the same assembly line and the only difference between them is the sticker that is put on the outside. What normally separates the batteries after that is the warrantee that comes with the battery. Seeing that you live in a warmer climate, if you find yourself going through batteries say ever 2 years, then spending a little more on a battery that has say a 3 year 100% replacement may be the cheaper option. Where, if you find yourself able to go 5-7 years on a battery, getting the cheapo battery will be best.

Please, Please, Please do not think that something like a deep cycle battery or a marine battery is going to be better than a conventional starting battery. They have different names for a reason, they perform different functions. Both a deep cycle and marine battery are meant to be discharge deeply periodically (ideally atleast once a month, if not more often). When I say deeply discharge, I am talking to the point that you might be able to get the starter solenoid to click (nothing more). Obviously this is an issue with our cars as how do you get it started in that condition without jump starting it. Even then, you run the risk of damaging the alternator because you are placing a very large load on the alternator with a low system voltage, leading to overheating of the field winding and/or the rectifying diodes. Either way, you are looking at an expensive repair to put a new alternator in your vehicle.

On a side note, if you have any questions with your F-150, let me know. I have an Expedition and we share a lot of similar problems. I know a few things about them too.

The following users liked this post:
Stillwaters (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 01:35 PM

Thanks, Thermo...

I asked because in the last few years I have used Autozone batteries in my vehicles with less than great results. I was ready if necessary to spend more on a "better" battery for my XK...

Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I had good luck with Costco and Interstate batteries.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Go to Sears, they have what you need and free replacement . 2 years ago a used them and have a good experience

Old 02-01-2012, 02:15 PM

I am wondering. If I go to Sears, do they have equipment to "flash" the ECU, which I understand you should do anytime one changes out the battery?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,844 Likes on 3,160 Posts

Still, what I think you are meaning to say is whether shops have the equipment to prevent loosing the information that is inside of the ECU and other automotive computers. When you "flash" an ECU, you are updating the information/program that the ECU uses as a basis for how the engine should run. Over time, the computer will adapt and try to provide the best fuel trim for how you drive. Unfortunately, none of us drive the same way 100% of the time. So, it comes to a "happy medium". Not great for anything. By letting the battery be disconnected, all this learned information is removed and the computer has to start over again. In a lot of cases, you can pick up a little bit in mileage.

Some shops now have gone to a system where they have a little "motorcycle" battery that they put in parallel to your car battery to maintain this stored information. NOrmally people only care about this stored information because of the stations stored in their radios. The actual ECU information they probably don't even realize is gone.

Stillwaters (02-01-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I've had great experiences with Interstate. Myself and a couple of friends have had horrible experiences with Carquest and Wal Mart batteries.

Stillwaters (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Interstate!!!

Stillwaters (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by laketime
Interstate!!!
Interstate it is then!

A most gracious "Thank You" to all who weighed in...!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Completely agree with Thermo. There are, I think, 2 (possibly 3) manufacturers of batteries here in the US. All batteries on the market come from them and through the same assembly lines. The only difference is the stickers. Personally I've always bought the cheapest battery in the size I need from an Autozone type store and have never had an issue.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

My Jaguar is still running on the original one so might need to change it out soon, but I have always used Interstate and Diehard (Sears) batteries on my BMW's and Volvo's.

I did try a Sam's Club brand once on my Toyota Sienna and it wasn't that great per say but wasn't that bad either. It had a 3 year warranty so they switched it out for a new one at no charge.

I would go with Interstate or Diehard...but if a cheaper battery gives a 3 year warranty go for it in my opinion.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,349 Likes on 1,062 Posts

There can be only one.....VARTA

Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I do use VARTA and quite satisfied with it
Other battery vendors Rayovac SLI49H8M ,Deca 9AGM49 , Interstate MTP-H8A .These are also recommended .Interstate also supplies batteries for W212 E CLASS as well

Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really want to like Optima batteries, but I can't say I've had any better luck with them than any other battery.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Jaguar use to sell oem batteries empty, you had to fill them up with acid and charge overnight..few years back interstate batteries became an authorized battery for jaguar and land rover. Personaly never had issues with an interstate battery .

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I use yellow top, and red top Optimas in my mustangs.....i think they are fantastic. and they look like they belong in a Jag.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the red top optima. I've had the best luck with them in my street cars and my dirt track cars

Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
Interstate it is then!

A most gracious "Thank You" to all who weighed in...!

Stillwaters,

Did your Interstate battery come with a vent hose and was it the 49/H8 Megatron Plus?

I'm about to buy one on Saturday.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally really like the Optima Yellow/red top batteries as well as the Odyssey batteries. But in all honesty, if your alternator is running fine and you don't have much of a electrical draw above stock (i.e. aftermarket stereo), then most decent batteries from Walmart/autozone should be sufficient.

Quick Reply: The Best Automotive Battery