General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bluetooth to FM hardwired solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Bluetooth to FM hardwired solution

If you have no bluetooth on your car and no aux in jack here is a solution.

I used it on my X300 but ANY car with an FM antenna can use it.

https://isimple.com/catalog/professi...ed-kits/ISFM23

The I simple Tranzit Blu. Bought off Ebay from a guy who bought but never installed but they are much cheaper than the retail price above on Amazon (mid $40's).

Basically you plug it into the FM antenna at the back of the radio and the FM antenna into the unit and it switches out the FM antenna to the bluetooth signal on the channel you want.

You can physically pick one of 3 channels OR you download the app and you can choose any channel.

I randomly picked one and it has zero fade or cross talk from other channels.

The app also allows you to turn the device off and on or set to automatic so no hardwired switches. If a bluetooth input is sensed it shuts off the Antenna and takes it over.

Installation was easy. Pull the ski slope, pull the radio back, plug in the antenna and route the wires aft.

I pulled power from the cigarette lighter with a scotch lock connector and crimped on an eye to the ground as there is a ground lug behind the shifter. Just make sure it is switched with the ignition.

I used double sided tape to affix to the space between the sport normal switch and the ashtray box vertically.

I ran the fuse holder back under the arm rest box so I can get to it if I need to.

Note to others. If you pull all four screws and remove armrest the front screws and the back screws are different sizes and it is not immediately apparent.

Button it all back up after making sure it powers up.

I am using an old android phone that mount to a ram mount I glued into a spare ashtray. I stripped all the un-needed apps on the old phone and set up an app called DRIVEMODE with Spotify and Waze. Had it on wifi an made spotify download anything I was interested in listening to. I also hooked the old phone up on wifi to my actual phone with a hotspot.

Going to see if I can make my "real" phone also link up so I can use it for calls.

Works great.

Allies
95 XJ6 VDP, 02 Mini Cooper S, 83 r80
Axis
11 135i, 11 528i, 89 325is, 11 x5, 00 Kawasaki ZRX

The following users liked this post:
wwr (10-25-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:26 PM
wwr
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default iSimple Bluetooth

Ric in RVA;

Is the ISFM23 still working well for you? Have you been able to connect with your SmartPhone? Does your ISFM include a mic ( ISFM2351 https://isimple.com/search?controlle...uery=ISFM2351) and if so how is it working?

I'm contemplating a similar installation on my x350. Thank you for placing this on the forum; I was unaware of iSimple until I ready your post.

Best Regards, William

Old 10-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wwr
Ric in RVA;

Is the ISFM23 still working well for you? Have you been able to connect with your SmartPhone? Does your ISFM include a mic ( ISFM2351 https://isimple.com/search?controlle...uery=ISFM2351) and if so how is it working?

I'm contemplating a similar installation on my x350. Thank you for placing this on the forum; I was unaware of iSimple until I ready your post.

Best Regards, William
I use the basic version to input bluetooth onto a FM channel using an old phone....everyone has an old phone that will run on wifi. My current phone is too big to fit comfortably where I want it. The old phone is dedicated to car use only and I set up a holder that is quickly removable to stash behind the seat or in the trunk.

I might have considered it but I really wasn't aware of it and I wanted a entertainment system add on, not a phone, anyways.

I used a spare ashtray,a ram mount ball, ram arm along with a ram X cradle ( http://amzn.to/2zdP5Ns) to hold the phone just in front of an below the cup holder. I had to trim the ram arm to allow sufficient articulation to get it low enough. Park the car and pull it out, ashtray and all, and drop behind the front passenger seat without unplugging a charger or anything. I can move the whole ram arm / phone combo to any of my other vehicles.

I use a blue tooth controller clipped to my steering wheel for remote (like this: http://bit.ly/2zV29US)

Pics later if you'd like.

I use my personal phone as the phone I call with.